Old 01-22-2014 | 01:27 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LT1
1k NYC miles= 7k suburban miles.
How do you figure?

Wheels are always scratched.
Only if you don't know how to park properly.

Bumpers are always dinged.
Depends on where and how you park.

Paint is swirled (nowhere to hand wash a car). Etc etc
There is a hand car wash 12 blocks from my apartment in Manhattan. And BTW just because you do it by hand it doesn't guarantee that the paint won't get swirls. 80% of the car guys I know (not general population!) don't use the proper technique even if they wash their car in their driveway.
Old 01-22-2014 | 09:35 AM
LT1
Pro

Wink

Originally Posted by steve k ny
^not sure about that..
75k miles here. 4 sets of wheels, none of them are scratched. car is parked outdoors 24/7 in a driveway. bumpers arent dinged (front of car is clear bra'd)... hand washed and waxed every weekend.
Maybe I should have clarified 'non rennlist members' cars
Old 01-27-2014 | 02:23 AM
Bklyn964Turbo
Racer

You guys that post all the negative about cars in NYC are just stereotyping..there are millions of cars in the City and yes NYC can beat the heck out of a car but most of you are educated and affluent so let me go on record and state you can find great cars here like anywhere else.

First: LOOK at the car. If it passes the "eyeball" test move to next steps
Second: Drive it! The advantage here is you can find crappy streets to test if the car has rattles and there are plenty of places to find smooth roads to test 0-60
Third: If you get past 1&2 then get a PP1
Fourth: Should you decide to purchase there are many options for temporary storage/parking, shipping/transportation
Fifth: You will be in one of the most amazing cities in the world. Take a day or two and experience it so you can speak from real experience about your time in the "Big City"...good or bad.

You actually have a good chance to find low mile cars because people travel shorter distances and those well healed Manhattan residents who can afford to own a car barely drive them. I'd say if the car passes your "eyeball" standards don't dismiss it because it's in NY. Any part of Queens or any other section of NYC...it doesn't matter. What matters is what the history says, then what the mechanic says, what it looks like to you, how it drives and is it within the price range you want.

I've got friends that have bought crap cars in every city in this country. Stop making it seem like it's not likely to get or have a nice car in NYC...it ain't LA but come on man it's not Afghanistan either...that sound you heard wasn't a car bomb it was just your front end falling into a pot hole...You have to pay attention here ...but you can say that about Chicago, Philly, LA, ...you get the point.
Old 01-27-2014 | 11:11 AM
cbenz1
Racer

I was warned by my local dealer not to buy a specific car because it was a NYC car. What is worst for cars are short trips where it never warns up. Also remember in NYC cars run without moving - gridlock. I would never buy a real NYC.
Old 01-27-2014 | 12:52 PM
Porschekalle
Burning Brakes

I bought two cars from NYC one Audi R8 and a Range Rover Supercharged both cars were in mint conditions even though driven in the city most of their life's

do your due diligence get them inspected and you will save yourself a couple thousand dollars compared to other markets
Old 01-27-2014 | 02:53 PM
need a 993
Instructor

My perspective:
I lived in Queens for over 25 years. Now I live on Long Island. Yes, you may find the right car there, but there are too many built in negatives that can impact a car's condition. As someone already mentioned- bad roads, high curbs, parking on the street with others dinging your bumpers, stop and go traffic, etc. And probably not garaged. So unless you are getting a crazy deal, or you are looking at a rare model, in my mind it's not worth taking a chance. While a GTI is a very nice car, you probably can find one closer to you and have it properly evaluated. In summary, more potential downside than upside.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2014 | 11:27 PM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LT1
1k NYC miles= 7k suburban miles. Wheels are always scratched. Bumpers are always dinged. Paint is swirled (nowhere to hand wash a car). Etc etc
That puts my Mercedes at ~ 1.2 million suburban miles!

Quick Reply: Would you buy a car from NYC?