Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some ECU/Tuning advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 01:20 PM
EVOMS
Former Sponsor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Warranty coverage is always tricky. As has been said before, we recommend feeling out your individual dealer and service adviser to see how they feel. Some will of course say 'No soup for you!' regarding tuned cars, but I had a customer with a 775 car get an entirely new clutch hydraulic system under warranty (the car was towed in to the dealer, we always wondered what the tech's reaction was when he went for a test drive and found the car had almost twice the stock power) and we have a couple of dealers around the country that sell and install our kits straight out of their showrooms.

My personal experience is that if you don't jerk the service department around, they'll do whatever they can to get things covered--they get paid either way and of course it makes you happy if you don't have to foot the bill.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:51 PM
UT_farhan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOMS
My personal experience is that if you don't jerk the service department around, they'll do whatever they can to get things covered--they get paid either way and of course it makes you happy if you don't have to foot the bill.
EVOMS, I agree with you hear about varying from dealer to dealer. That was one of the reasons I was thinking to go with the Sportec tune the dealer recommends, incase anything goes wrong. If I go with what they said, I may pay a bit more, but they're more likely to cover it. But if I take that business away from the dealer and get the tune somewhere else, they may try to stick it to me if an issue arises.

One of the problems is, I havent gotten much feedback on Sportec. Feel free to PM me directly if you want to talk about the EVOMS tuning.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:00 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good advice from Speed and Evoms.

And Paul please don't change and get soft on us now! Speak your mind! Just because we get pissy doesn't mean we don't want to hear what you have to say..

UT_farhan,

Like others have said some dealers will keep you warranty if they do the work. My dealer is totally "No mod friendly". They even got ****ty with my TechArt exhaust. Like others said good luck getting Porsche to cover any engine issue if you have a tune.

For instance if you install your own custom exhaust and a turbo fails the tech has to take a photo of the afflicted turbo on the car and send it to Porsche. If Porsche sees and aftermarket exhaust they can deny your claim.. I have seen it..

My dealer wont touch a modded car for warranty work .. Period.. And I have a great relationship with them!

It all depends on your dealer. For instance Champion Porsche is very mod friendly. The will honor your warranty if they do the mods.. Including a tune.. As long as they do the work..

I hope this helps.. BTW I have a Protomotive tune and like it very much.. I also have heard lots of good things about the others Speed mentioned.. And Evoms has a great rep as well..
Old 01-13-2014, 09:43 PM
GTRNICK
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
If it were me I would not get roped into any tune until you have your EP1 on. You have chosen well so far. Experience the difference that EP1 makes first and then decide whether you even really want a tune. I know there are fans on these boards but frankly from what I've heard from a couple of users who have had it, and got rid of it, I wouldn't touch an FVD tune personally….at any money.
Whats so bad about it speed?
Old 01-13-2014, 11:47 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GTRNICK
Whats so bad about it speed?
Circular discussion, been there done that. My reliable sources who have bought it and got rid of it knew what they were doing, that is all that really matters to me.

So I'm told you are now a UK agent for FVD eh? Best of luck with it.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:32 PM
GTRNICK
Racer

Circular discussion, been there done that. My reliable sources who have bought it and got rid of it knew what they were doing, that is all that really matters to me.

So I'm told you are now a UK agent for FVD eh? Best of luck with it.

The problem is bro you always say your "reliable source" but you never prove who the source is, so how can anyone one take what you say seriously?

So it's no good you coming on a forum and saying a product is no good without testing it yourself properly which you haven't!

Love the avatar btw but you should have horns not a halo

Last edited by GTRNICK; 01-14-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:16 PM
GTRNICK
Racer

Some info for the OP!

Now I have had my car tuned by FVD for the past 5 years, it has always run completely flawless, smooth and very fast.

I drive my car very hard but I also look after it.

I started off with and FVD tune and Tubi exhaust with twin cans.

Then I progressed to an FVD tune with FVD sound version with 200cell cats, FVD headers and LWFW kit.

From there I changed the rear end to GEN 2 bumper and LED's so I changed the exhaust again to a slightly quieter version with no cats.

The next stage after that, FVD hybrid turbos were fitted and again the car was awesome, pulled very strong to the redline.

I have never ever had a problem with my FVD products.

To top it off I went to Germany and had my engine rebuilt by FVD at the end of last year as I wanted to release the full potential of what I had purchased previously.

When they opened the engine up in front of me I saw the stock internals and I actually still have them. They all looked like new no bent rods nothing damaged! I was like wow I have driven this car very hard and put it through all this extra stress to find nothing wrong whatsoever.

So the point I am trying to make is if you are thinking of going with and FVD tune I don't think you have anything to worry about apart from enjoying it and the people that will seriously envy you
Old 01-14-2014, 04:29 PM
phillipj
Drifting

I have heard only good things about FVD.. There are quite few people here that have purchased products from them and are very happy..

What is the problem that you have them Paul? I'm curious to know?
Old 01-14-2014, 04:32 PM
GTRNICK
Racer

Originally Posted by phillipj
I have heard only good things about FVD.. There are quite few people here that have purchased products from them and are very happy..

This is it Phillip.

I want to know too!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:03 PM
UT_farhan
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for their advice. Does anyone have any hard metrics on before/after results? That would probably be the best thing.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:12 PM
phillipj
Drifting

About 40 to 50 hp on pump gas with exhaust. Better spool up. Much more fun! Almost 100 hp on race gas with race gas map..
Old 01-14-2014, 07:38 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

My recommendation would be to go with Sporttec. They are fairly conservative yet make a great improvement over stock. The fact that our local dealer is mod friendly and does the install is a big plus. Any issues you might possible have would be dealt directly with them and by them. (Although I have not heard of any issues.)

I have a Sportec tune on my 997 TTS and the Euro Pipe / Sportec tune added about 70 HP with a noticeably quicker spool time.

It does cost a little more than other tunes however the fact that it was done locally and that the dealer installed and sanctioned it was huge in my book.

Walt
Old 01-14-2014, 09:09 PM
UT_farhan
Rennlist Member

WaltB.....PM sent
Old 01-15-2014, 12:17 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem is bro you always say your "reliable source" but you never prove who the source is, so how can anyone one take what you say seriously?

So it's no good you coming on a forum and saying a product is no good without testing it yourself properly which you haven't!

Love the avatar btw but you should have horns not a halo
Firstly there is no problem, and, secondly you are not my brother either. You also resort to use a thinly veiled insult so I see I must bother you.

You say my sources are unreliable? I am 100% satisfied with the quality of information recieved and that is all that matters to me. I also don't need to waste time or money testing something for myself when I am satisfied with my own due diligence. If someone else wants to buy it, or thinks it is fabulous then terrific!

On the topic of unsatisfied users, if i recall there was a recent thread on 6 where another member actually chimed in to say he had moved on to an EPL and found it far superior to the FVD which he decided to eat. I had posted on that thread and noticed you had chimed in like a faithful watchdog to defend the tune as per usual but oddly enough stayed well away from questioning his post. Funny how you never probed him eh. It was as if he had a virus you did not want. So you like to suggest to members my claims are all from fictitious users yet when a real one surfaces you run for cover instead of getting to the bottom of it? Got it.

I also notice you seem to be rather sheepish in stepping forward advising the members you are an FVD dealer, or is that information of mine bad as well now?

Shall I perhaps await an answer on that?

Originally Posted by phillipj

Phillip I have been there done that on this particular topic and have no need to listen to anyone with a vested interest trying to justify themselves whilst endeavouring to ridicule me or my respectful sources.

I don't need to remind people they are free to buy and believe what they want.

And if Nick feels i am casting dispersions then he should go back to those that actually have surfaced publicly and ask them why they ate their beloved FVD tune.

This is it Phillip.

I want to know too!
I am sure you do. That way we can hear more justification on how they are all unreliable fools?
Old 01-15-2014, 05:01 AM
GTRNICK
Racer

Firstly there is no problem, and, secondly you are not my brother either. You also resort to use a thinly veiled insult so I see I must bother you.

You say my sources are unreliable? I am 100% satisfied with the quality of information recieved and that is all that matters to me. I also don't need to waste time or money testing something for myself when I am satisfied with my own due diligence. If someone else wants to buy it, or thinks it is fabulous then terrific!

On the topic of unsatisfied users, if i recall there was a recent thread on 6 where another member actually chimed in to say he had moved on to an EPL and found it far superior to the FVD which he decided to eat. I had posted on that thread and noticed you had chimed in like a faithful watchdog to defend the tune as per usual but oddly enough stayed well away from questioning his post. Funny how you never probed him eh. It was as if he had a virus you did not want. So you like to suggest to members my claims are all from fictitious users yet when a real one surfaces you run for cover instead of getting to the bottom of it? Got it.

I also notice you seem to be rather sheepish in stepping forward advising the members you are an FVD dealer, or is that information of mine bad as well now?

Shall I perhaps await an answer on that?

Phillip I have been there done that on this particular topic and have no need to listen to anyone with a vested interest trying to justify themselves whilst endeavouring to ridicule me or my respectful sources.

I don't need to remind people they are free to buy and believe what they want.

And if Nick feels i am casting dispersions then he should go back to those that actually have surfaced publicly and ask them why they ate their beloved FVD tune.

I am sure you do. That way we can hear more justification on how they are all unreliable fools?

Thank God your not my brother, you would probably make me want to jump off a cliff if you were

Unfortunately PM'ing me a pile of cut up paragraphs is not going to prove to me that what you are saying is right Paul. So now when confronted about it you are acting sheepish and writing a lot of **** to get around the answers.

Why was you banned by 6 speed?

I rest my case.

P.S. FVD dealer - no not at this moment in time, not that its any of your business.

Quick Reply: Need some ECU/Tuning advice