Sponsored by:

2009 997 TT vs 2014 991 Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 12:40 AM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 132 Posts

UPDATE

I purchased the 2009 997TT. Basalt Black with a Black dash and Terracotta interior.

Tiptronic 23K miles in 9 condition.

Now trying to get the Bluetooth to talk to my Galaxy Note 3 is next.

Thanks for all the input guys I appreciate your help.

Ian
Old 12-10-2013, 01:00 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome! love the combo! GL on the coms

Oh- your forgetting 1 thing. PICS!

Welcome to the club.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:27 AM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm at a slightly different decision point, both available in the 110-115K range, an 11 TTS or a 10-11 GT3. I realize they are dramatically different cars, but they both appeal to me for various reasons. The silver lining here is I can't really make a bad decision...
Old 12-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

I followed this discussion with some amusement at times, and at other times with incredulity.A purchasing decision on which Porsche model using complex depreciation mathematics, or whether it has Bluetooth or NAV? Maybe applies to a Buick or a Honda but on a Turbo or 911S. Madness. Drive them both as extensively as possible and then decide on the model that creates the most excitement, exhilaration and enjoyment. Nobody needs a Porsche. You desire or crave it for the joy of driving a magnificient automobile. Not because it provides practical transportation.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Congrats on the purchase of the 997TT. That would have been my choice and indeed, own one myself and adore it. Love every day I drive it.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:46 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Coincident
I followed this discussion with some amusement at times, and at other times with incredulity.A purchasing decision on which Porsche model using complex depreciation mathematics, or whether it has Bluetooth or NAV? Maybe applies to a Buick or a Honda but on a Turbo or 911S. Madness. Drive them both as extensively as possible and then decide on the model that creates the most excitement, exhilaration and enjoyment. Nobody needs a Porsche. You desire or crave it for the joy of driving a magnificient automobile. Not because it provides practical transportation.
Just in case you are referring to my comment on NAV and Bluetooth, I am making the exact same point that you are. In the end, the ride rules, and you can always work around the small things that don't matter. Perhaps in an electronics forum we could find someone who decides to buy one Porsche and not another because of gadgets you can get at Target for $100.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:18 AM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Mixed Feelings

Driven the Turbo 285 miles and I find the car very quiet and smooth with Sport Mode off.

Compared to my Caymen S the 997 TT doesn't handle as well. It requires a different driving style which I am not yet comfortable with. When I engage Sport mode the 997TT changes personality to what any performance driver would desire. The 997TT has two different personalities one quiet and refined the other a Track mode. Interesting thing is a new 991 or Cayman in non Sport mode are harder edged cars then the 997TT.

Personally I am struggling with how soft and nice the 997TT ride is.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:19 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flyjets
Mixed Feelings

Driven the Turbo 285 miles and I find the car very quiet and smooth with Sport Mode off.

Compared to my Caymen S the 997 TT doesn't handle as well. It requires a different driving style which I am not yet comfortable with. When I engage Sport mode the 997TT changes personality to what any performance driver would desire. The 997TT has two different personalities one quiet and refined the other a Track mode. Interesting thing is a new 991 or Cayman in non Sport mode are harder edged cars then the 997TT.

I cannot understand how people drive with Sport mode off. The first thing I do after I've started the engine (which is mapped to 575), is to press Sport Mode On (Hard Suspension Off). It is so much in my blood now that I even stalled the car when I switched Sport mode off inadvertently and did not notice.

I have H&R springs in my car, it is relatively hard in "soft" mode, but I like it like that. I do switch hard suspension on from time to time though and not only on smooth highways.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:26 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flyjets
Mixed Feelings

I agree the TT in non-sports mode is "tame", especially below 3K RPM. I would really recommend getting a free flow exhaust, a tune from one of the well known tuners and lastly a set of lowering springs. These are the mods I did and it has improved the driving experience for me tremendously!

You'll get a much better exhaust note, faster and harder turbo spool (especially at lower RPMs). The tune will give you a more linear power curve with more power throughout the entire band with better power delivery below 3K rpm. and the springs will deliver much better non-sport mode feel, eliminate the nose bob and significantly improve the stance of the car

good luck
Art
Old 12-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

My thoughts on the TT vs C2S. The TT is an excellent daily driver that you can take up into the hills and light it up, have a blast, and come back to earth and not have your fillings loosen up during your daily drive. To the OP, I would give it another good 6 months of driving, go toss it around, keep it in Sports mode with the suspension firmness off and see you fall in love with it. It's a GREAT car. Most of us want more of an exhaust note and upgrade the exhaust at the earliest convenience.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Psychologically, Porsche should have made the Sport mode the default position and the non sport elective.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:32 PM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

I also have heard of a Mod where they add an additional pipe onto the each separate muffler.

Typically I changed cars every two years usually don't mod them but on occasion have went overboard.

The 997 has great potential for these mods will have to research what has the best bang.

Ian
Old 12-13-2013, 06:02 PM
Rogor
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it's to late now, but I would have chosen the newer 991 S over the 997 TT.

It's a newer model with the latest technology, the (finally) IMS free normal aspirated engine and super handling.
Ok, it might depreciate faster than the TT.

When I bought my Porsche I first had all my attention on a 997 Carrera S2. So light in the front and quicksilver through corners. Loved the car, the handling, the small butt. But disliked the linear, non emotional power buildup, I even was appointed in the power. In the TT I found the extra boost that draw me over the line.

But now I think the 991 2S would be my first choice. The sound (good sound makes you think the car is faster), the newer technique and... the looks.

Strangest thing is I think the 997 TT is better looking than the 991 TT, because it has all the special stuff on the front that make it more aggressive and different from other 997's .
Old 12-17-2013, 11:48 AM
mpiffaretti
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

I drove a 991 Carrera S at the Barber track in Alabama last month against a 997 TT in front of me... forget it, impossible to catch if in the right hands. Besides, the sound of the spooling turbos is addicting. When people see the intakes in the side of the car, they know is not your everyday Porsche, it commands respect on the road, and, its a Mezger, the last of the of overbuilt Lemans race designed engines. I would go with the TT all the way. Forget about Bluetooth, is the rumble in the back what you want to hear anyways.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:47 PM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Here's was a strange twist.

The other my wife said she missed the Cayman S which I sold to purchase the 997TT. It didn't make sense to keep two sports cars on an Island in FL that has some flooding issues.

Went to Porsche dealer to service our Cayenne S there was a 991 S there wife and I both test drove.

After the day was over we both liked the 991 but feel the better car for balance and control is the Cayman S. The 991 S while much more powerful if the Cayman S was of equal power the 991 would be left for dead.

BTW the 991 can't run with the Turbo it's just to fast but handling is probably in the 991 corner.

Ian

Quick Reply: 2009 997 TT vs 2014 991 Carrera S