Sponsored by:

997.1 with DFI TTS motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 07:24 PM
acmw
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 997.1 with DFI TTS motor

If i were to buy an 08 997.1 TT roller shell , would i be able to purchase a used 997 TTs motor and drop it in ? or would the shell have to be 997.2 09+ ? thanks!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:53 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

The DFI motors were 2010 and later. I believe the transmission for those is also different. And you will need a complete re-wire, ECU swap, and other fun things to make it work.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:08 AM
acmw
Advanced

Originally Posted by ilko
The DFI motors were 2010 and later. I believe the transmission for those is also different. And you will need a complete re-wire, ECU swap, and other fun things to make it work.
Hello brother, thanks for the response .

I am planning on buying a car damaged from the front clip back just so i can use the drivetrain , so i will have every single drivetrain part that you just listed , so technically will this mount up to an 09 or even an 08 if i have it all? or are the mounting points different or something. The shop i asked told me it was impossible because tranny and edu plugs willl be different but i will have it all.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:05 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 279 Posts

You may also need to hire an electrical engineer with a PhD to support the project. The issues with these conversions is usually not the mechanicals and the fabrication but the little electrons running around in the multiplex wiring system.

Do a real business case on the project and plan on contingency $ as it can be expensive.

GL.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:06 AM
acmw
Advanced

Originally Posted by Igooz
You may also need to hire an electrical engineer with a PhD to support the project. The issues with these conversions is usually not the mechanicals and the fabrication but the little electrons running around in the multiplex wiring system.

Do a real business case on the project and plan on contingency $ as it can be expensive.

GL.
I am planning on buying on the supporting harnesses from the DFI car as well , i do not want to just buy the drivetrain and use a 997.1 engine bay and interior harness and hack it together, i plan to purchase everything so that it can be plug and play. i pl an to transfer basically everything on my crashed doner to the new shell , everything i need to make it function as it was before is still there besides the airbags.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:12 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my last post, so here it goes: IT'S A MAJOR HEADACHE, DO NOT DO IT.

There.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:42 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Agreed.. You are in for a nightmare and th cost will be prohibitive to say the least.

Even in 996 Carrera going form a 3.4 motor to a 3.6 was a nightmare (ask me how I know.)

Now you are talking about mating two different year models with completely different drivetrains and electronics.

You would be crazy to attempt this.. Just buy an 08 or and 2010 and be happy..

You have been warned..
Old 12-05-2013, 02:51 PM
acmw
Advanced

Originally Posted by phillipj
Agreed.. You are in for a nightmare and th cost will be prohibitive to say the least.

Even in 996 Carrera going form a 3.4 motor to a 3.6 was a nightmare (ask me how I know.)

Now you are talking about mating two different year models with completely different drivetrains and electronics.

You would be crazy to attempt this.. Just buy an 08 or and 2010 and be happy..

You have been warned..
I dont see why it will be a big nightmare , for example lets say i crash my current 996 3.6 , i buy an identicle rolling shell , and swap everything but the front cosmetics onto the shell , there will be no fabricating , no custom work so why would i have headaches if its coming from the basically the same exact car as a transplant that was working fine.

So if i do the same with a 997 it should be the same , i assume maybe you guys mean if i try to put a dfi drivetain in an 08 and below i will have issues
Old 12-05-2013, 02:53 PM
acmw
Advanced

Originally Posted by ilko
Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my last post, so here it goes: IT'S A MAJOR HEADACHE, DO NOT DO IT.

There.
this is for going for putting a DFI motor in an 08 and below right, if i have an 10+ shell then everything will bolt up where its supposed to go no modifications needed.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:13 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by acmw
this is for going for putting a DFI motor in an 08 and below right, if i have an 10+ shell then everything will bolt up where its supposed to go no modifications needed.
I think what people are saying is that your assumption that if you have "everything" it will be a simple "plug and play" is overly simplified. Pulling everything apart from the donor car and reassembling everything into the new shell is a major job with a million electronic gremlins just waiting to give you a nightmare

In fact, if you take a perfectly operational 2010 DFI turbo. completely strip it and then reassemble it you will likely end up with tons of headaches. Not worth it IMO unless you are saving $50K.

Heck just look at all the trouble folks are having after they improperly install a simple plenum, exhaust, tune or any other minor mod. Now imagine trying to trouble shot something in a car that has been completely reassembled. Makes me queazy just thinking about it LOL!!
Old 12-05-2013, 04:54 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by aa909
I think what people are saying is that your assumption that if you have "everything" it will be a simple "plug and play" is overly simplified. Pulling everything apart from the donor car and reassembling everything into the new shell is a major job with a million electronic gremlins just waiting to give you a nightmare

In fact, if you take a perfectly operational 2010 DFI turbo. completely strip it and then reassemble it you will likely end up with tons of headaches. Not worth it IMO unless you are saving $50K.

Heck just look at all the trouble folks are having after they improperly install a simple plenum, exhaust, tune or any other minor mod. Now imagine trying to trouble shot something in a car that has been completely reassembled. Makes me queazy just thinking about it LOL!!
That is so correct.. I would rather build a kit car!
Old 12-05-2013, 04:56 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by acmw
May I ask if you have ever tackled a project like this before? Perhaps you have.. Might be a good idea to talk to some Porsche tuners and dealer techs to get their feedback.

At least you would get a some opinions form people that know exactly what you would be up against..
Old 12-06-2013, 10:56 PM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is car that lights up the dashboard if a button isn't working or a turn signal is acting up. No way I would ever consider a project like this on one of these cars. I can't see how you would spend less than buying a 997.2. It would also have basically no resale value.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

I'd say go for it if you have the cash to blow and hours to turn the wrenches yourself.

Quick Reply: 997.1 with DFI TTS motor