Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are oil leaks common ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 10:58 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

If you have test driven the car a good distance -- 15 mile test ride, then cover the same route as a test driver -- and the front diff remained noise free then the front diff is probably just suffering from the early stages of a leak.

You need to get a quote for addressing this either by replacing the axle flange seals or as another poster mentioned replacing the seals that require the diff be removed and factor this into your offer for you will have to spend the money at some point.

Also, you do not want to drive the car around too long with even a leaking front diff for the fear is the diff fluid gets low and this can possibly ruin the diff.

Based on this concern my course of action would be to have the leak fixed pronto. Either the seller fixes it or I buy the car at a price that has the cost of my paying to have this fixed factored into it.
The following users liked this post:
SproutSprawl LLC (03-01-2020)
Old 11-29-2013, 02:16 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by John W
Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments.

I do agree that the sensible thing would be to walk away.
It has taken a while to find this car, so trying to make the deal work.

I do also agree that I should be expecting the leaks repaired.
The fact the Porsche garage said the diff should be monitored has indicated to the dealer that it does not need immediate attention.
I think they realise the engine leak is potentially a deal breaker, and they asked the Porsche dealer how best to proceed. They suggested a pressure washing and then a drive to see where the source is.
I have requested they put it up on a ramp and send me some pics. I may take a return visit so I can go inspect it myself again too.

I Think this is the car for me, so trying to give them some latitude to address the issues, but if this leak is major I may have no choice but to walk away.
I will let you know how I get on.

Please take a lesson from me and walk away from this car.. I did the same thing you are doing with a Carrera I bought years ago. I looked a long time for the car. Found what I wanted but the car had lots of niggling mechanical issues.. I went against my "gut" feeling (and my wife's advice to walk away) and bought the car anyway.

It was a nightmare.. The car was a problem form day one.. Then finally the cylinder head cracked and my crankcase and coolant system was full of mayonnaise. Engine was a total loss.

Worst decision I ever made..

My advice to you is to find a CLEAN car with NO ISSUES. And buy that one..

Do not fall in love with a woman or car that has "Issues"..

Good luck in your search and find another car..

I have had my TT for over 3 years now with no issues. Find a CPO car with low miles and pay up for it.. You will be very happy in the long run..
Old 11-29-2013, 02:41 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Either pay upfront or pay later.... There's no way around it...period
Old 11-29-2013, 02:53 PM
John W
Pro

Macster the diff is silent, couldnt detect any odd noises from diff or wheel bearings.
Phillip, thans for the sensible advice, I may well do this based on my findings tomorrow.

ok, so spoken to two further OPCs now, and sent pics to one of them so they can have a stab at the likely cause (just got their response, they suggest it might be weeping base gasket).

Apparently Porsche rates leaks on older (?!?) cars on a scale of 1 to 5.
All three of them say 'misting' is acceptible on a car of this age. It would not be acceptible on a new one. The diff is therefore considered ok, they say to just monitor it, and only worry about it if it starts to leave drips in the garage.

They also said if the block is damp to the extent that it looks like the engine has breathed a bit, or a trace of oil, that is fine. It only becomes a problem if it forms into drips, as above.
The original inspecting garage suggested I take the car for a 100+ mile drive, and see how much oil has developed. The seller has agreed this is a good way forward, so that is what is going to happen tomorrow.

The OPC's all agreed on the same view without me leading or prompting, I asked roughly the same questions of each of them.

Trying to find a trully straight & perfect car is a nightmare. I looked at another one today at a different dealer, and when I poked my head under the rear bumper it too looked oily, so I started to question whether my expectations were too high.
Interestingly my 993 had its MoT today, so stuck my head under that too, and guess what, yup a trace of oil but it doesnt drip any (mindyou that it 19 years old now).

I need a lay down in a darkened room with a never ending supply of beer !
I know I should just walk away, but sensible isn't my strong suit
Old 11-29-2013, 03:02 PM
John W
Pro

C2 Turbo, i'm not averse to paying later, as long as I know what I'm getting into.

Thats why I am happy to deal with the diff and brakes. The miles I am likely to do, they could well not need doing for a couple of years.

You guys have been a great help.
I will see how things go tomorrow and then decide whether I really want to get into this one or not.
My wife is not helping one way or the other as she really likes the car too...
Old 11-30-2013, 04:05 PM
phillipj
Drifting

John,

My TT has 66k miles on it. And I drive the crap out of it.. No leaks anywhere.. No "weeping".. Nothing..It's bone dry everywhere..

I hope that you will be patient and look for another car..I really feel you are going down a costly road with this one.

When these cars break they are EXTREMELY expensive to fix. Some dealers still charge $4500 for a clutch job. Almost any major engine issue requires the engine to be dropped. Although a good tech can do it in a couple hours the book says 10 hours. There is no point of having a beautiful car that sits in the shop and drains your wallet.

Good luck with whatever you do. But you know how I feel about it..
Old 11-30-2013, 04:09 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by John W
C2 Turbo, i'm not averse to paying later, as long as I know what I'm getting into.

Thats why I am happy to deal with the diff and brakes. The miles I am likely to do, they could well not need doing for a couple of years.

You guys have been a great help.
I will see how things go tomorrow and then decide whether I really want to get into this one or not.
My wife is not helping one way or the other as she really likes the car too...

The problem is you really don't know "what you're getting into". The tech is just giving his best guess..
Old 11-30-2013, 07:06 PM
John W
Pro

Sound advice Philip.
I didn't get there today as my 993 decided it wanted to stay home...
(details in the air cooled section)
Old 11-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Phillip is right. But your deal on the TT maybe really good?
How far is this car from Oxford or London? I spend 5-8 days per month in the UK and sometimes I am free to go and look at stuff.

Last edited by Igooz; 11-30-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:14 PM
John W
Pro

Hi Igooz,
its ~120 miles from London, and 100 miles from Oxford. Roughly about 2 hours drive from both, given clear roads.
Thanks for the offer but realistically you would be looking at a good half a day for a round trip.
If your in London and fancy a meet for a coffee / beer some time though give me a shout (I currently work in Holborn)

I was planning to go there on Tuesday, but need to check my work schedule and so may revise that.
We shall see...
Old 12-03-2013, 04:23 PM
John W
Pro

To close this thread off, I did go to the dealers today.
They put the car up on a ramp and I had a good look over the car with both the salesman and one of their mechanics.

I have to say that the Porsche inspection was unbelievably ****.
There is the slightest trace of oil on the sides of the front diff. If I wiped my finger around the seal it was very slightly oily. There is certainly no build up of oil, so happy with hat.
As for the engine, pretty much the same there. As the picture I posted shows, there is a slight smear of oil b that gasket, but no build up at all.
Both of what I think are the scavenge pump at the rear of the engine are dirty where they have a mist of oil that dust has stuck to (lowest things with pipes coming out, not researched yet so apologies for vagueness).
That's all there was to see, everything else looked fine.
I took it for a ~80 mile drive on some good roads so I could work the car in all gears. We then inspected it again on the ramp. There was no additional traces of oil.

Consequently I bough the car, so I have now joined the throng of 997 turbo owners

Thanks for all your comments guys. Now got a load of manuals to read to figure out how all the things work !
Old 12-03-2013, 05:12 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Congratulations!

Now pictures or it didn't happen!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:29 PM
John W
Pro

Originally Posted by ilko
Congratulations!

Now pictures or it didn't happen!
Lol, It was dark when I left the show room, but I will try to post a couple from when I first drove it, and also one of their sales pics.
Not quite sure how to do it via my iPhone though ?
Might have to try the non mobile app...
Old 12-03-2013, 05:42 PM
John W
Pro

Nope, can't upload them as I have exceeded my total allowable limit for attachments.
:-/
It's atlas grey with magnolia full leather (i posted about this in another thread, but link to dealer site for pics is now broken since its sold).

It is a 1 owner car, with 35k miles.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Congratulations! Nice color combo!

(I am in England this week. Please see the PM I sent you).

Quick Reply: Are oil leaks common ?