Diminished value

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 02:12 PM
subparrnd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diminished value

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker here. Have had 3 P-Cars in the last 3.5 years. I have a 997.1 TT now.

Well, 2 months ago, my car was rear-ended. They replaced the rear bumper without having to paint the rear fenders. Everything underneath the skin was replaced as well. Total bill was about $4300.00.

Anyway, now they have come back with a $2500 diminished value. I just wanted to ask if you guys think that's fair.

TIA!

Best,

Homer
Old 10-03-2013, 02:40 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hard to say if it's fair.. But the problem is whenever a P car is hit form behind there can be issues with Tranny, motor mounts etc. Did you have the motor mounts inspected?

I think that $2500 is reasonable.. But I don't have lot of experience with "diminished value"..

Sorry you got hit. I ran into a girl (my fault) in a VW bug last summer at 5 mph an I did $7500 damage to mine..
Old 10-04-2013, 09:12 AM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 43 Posts

It depends how far down the line you are looking to sell your car AND if the accident will reflect on the Carfax. If it does NOT show up on Carfax, then $2500 is sufficient. If it does, then your car would be considered to be worth about 7-8% less with an accident reported, some say as little as 5% and some say as much as 10%.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

I take it you are keeping it then? Sorry to hear about your bump. These things happen. No one hurt. All's well that ends well.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I would simply document everything, pictures of damage, pictures of car after, invoices, everything, so when you sell the car you can show potential buyers the extent of the damage and how well it was serviced. That will diminish the loss value impact at time of sale.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:54 PM
subparrnd
Intermediate

Zeus993, I do plan on keep this car for a while.

Augustomf, I have everything. Honestly, the damage wasn't that bad. I will document everything. I have pictures, the actual repair order and the appraisal for the car.

I finally called him back and settled for $3000.00.

Might be time for some mods! Since one OEM tailpipe was $470, I bought the Fabspeed tips and the bodyshop paid me for them.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

^I have a feeling that you will be just fine! Between the fact that the damage was minor, the documentation of the damage, and your honesty...it will be OK!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:30 AM
djben
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Holy crap, I am surprised you got anything for diminished value?!#

Sounds like you got lucky. What insurance company paid this out?

I am going to have to investigate filing a claim, just checked and apparently I have up to 4 years.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:12 PM
subparrnd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djben
Holy crap, I am surprised you got anything for diminished value?!#

Sounds like you got lucky. What insurance company paid this out?

I am going to have to investigate filing a claim, just checked and apparently I have up to 4 years.
It was Travellers. They were actually really nice.

I only mentioned to my original adjuster briefly and then about 10 days later, some guys from Travellers diminished value dept called and said that they were ready to settle for $2500. I told him that I was not ready as I have not gotten a report from a DV guy. A few hours went by and I called him back and said that lets move on for $3000.00. He agreed RIGHT AWAY. That makes me think that I might have left a few bucks on the table.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:18 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

thata is awesome.. I misinterpreted your first post. I did not know that insurance would pay you for diminished value caused by an accident. I have heard nothing but good things about Travelers insurance.

My friend at a body shop says that they are one of the best to deal with..

That's great you got $3k!

Geico offered me nothing on my accident. But it was my fault so may be that is why?

Quick Reply: Diminished value