Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those w/ experience, GMG springs & sways vs. stock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 01:34 AM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Those w/ experience, GMG springs & sways vs. stock?

How does the GMG springs and sways setup differ from stock ('07 TT)? I understand they will lower by 20mm, they are progressive, and that the sways aren't a huge step in stiffness over stock. I also understand they are designed for the stock drop links.

Questions in my mind:
- Is the GMG setup more or less comfortable for everyday driving?
- What is the most obvious benefit? Other benefits?
- Does the GMG setup actually work better with the normal and sport PASM settings than stock? (I find the stock sport setting nearly unusable.)
- I find the stock normal setting to be slightly bouncy at times. I also experience more loss of traction on mid-corner small bumps than I would like. Does the GMG setup help in these areas?

I would likely run the sways on soft front and back, which, if I recall, would increase stiffness by 45% front and 25% rear. If I wanted to go to the track, then I'd have other options, obviously. I've read it's a bad idea to stiffen the rear too much.

With my FVD tune and hardware upgrades, my reaction has been: Ahhh, now that's what a Porsche Turbo should be able to do. Ideally, I'd like any upgrade--like the GMG springs and sways--to give me that same feeling of: Ahhh, now that's more like it. Am I asking too much from that setup? I really don't want to mess with coilovers.

Thanks,
Louis
Old 10-03-2013, 02:45 AM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm very interested in hearing opinions on this. I am not interested in messing with coil overs, so if I do any suspension mods these will be it.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Cbwell
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have any info for you yet but will report back when I do- I just got the GMG springs and GT2 rear sway and will be installing in a week or so when I get back in town. My goal is to get better track performance without hurting drivability comfort on the street.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:25 AM
MK_TT
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dewilmoth
I'm very interested in hearing opinions on this. I am not interested in messing with coil overs, so if I do any suspension mods these will be it.
Same here!

Keep in mind there should be a difference in ride on 20'' wheels compared to 19''
Old 10-03-2013, 11:11 AM
DMoses#620
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll let you know soon as well. I will be having both installed tommorow
Old 10-03-2013, 11:40 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the GMG springs and my impression is the following

1) approx 0.8"-1" drop is perfect as it significantly improved the stance of the car without being ultra low. So while there is a bit more scraping it is still very manageable

2). The ride quality is significantly improved in non-sport mode. I found the stock springs to be much too soft in the regular setting. There was a significant amount of nose bobbing. The GMG springs eliminate this "boucny" feeling without additional harshness so you have increased confidence in where the nose of the car is going in non-sport mode while still remaining quite compliant over rough roads

3) Sports mode remains only for smooth roads. The limiting factor here isn't the springs but rather the shocks. The OEM shock stiffness in sports mode dominates the feel of the car so the GMG springs have limited impact in terms of ride comfort in this setting. You will feel a slight improvement but not as much as you'll notice in non-sports mode

Bottom line is the GMG springs are worth the money for the lowered stance and improved feel in non-sports mode.

Hope this helps
Art
Old 10-03-2013, 11:53 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree 100% w the above. On my other 997.1, I had the gmg springs, bones and f/r sways. In reality I rarely adjusted the front bar, so this time around I went with just the gt2 bar out back. Very happy.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:33 PM
turbo'ed
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aa909
I have the GMG springs and my impression is the following

1) approx 0.8"-1" drop is perfect as it significantly improved the stance of the car without being ultra low. So while there is a bit more scraping it is still very manageable

2). The ride quality is significantly improved in non-sport mode. I found the stock springs to be much too soft in the regular setting. There was a significant amount of nose bobbing. The GMG springs eliminate this "boucny" feeling without additional harshness so you have increased confidence in where the nose of the car is going in non-sport mode while still remaining quite compliant over rough roads

3) Sports mode remains only for smooth roads. The limiting factor here isn't the springs but rather the shocks. The OEM shock stiffness in sports mode dominates the feel of the car so the GMG springs have limited impact in terms of ride comfort in this setting. You will feel a slight improvement but not as much as you'll notice in non-sports mode

Bottom line is the GMG springs are worth the money for the lowered stance and improved feel in non-sports mode.

Hope this helps
Art
+1

Love my GMG setup on my 997.2tt
Old 10-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had both on my turbo and the car was worlds better with the GMG stuff. Don't forget to get a better alignment then stock.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:07 AM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I've been thinking about this for a while, and you've pretty much convinced me.

I've read before where the GT3 alignment specs are recommended. Does anyone have any different specific recommendations? Doc, is the GT3 setup what you are thinking?

I assume the only downside to a more aggressive alignment is tire wear? We're talking mostly more negative camber, right? Slightly more toe-in in the front?

Also, my wheels have my tires sitting dead flush. Do I have room for much of a drop? I was thinking I'd use a spring spacer if not. With the aggressive offsets, my wheel arches are a bit fuller than stock.

Louis

Quick Reply: Those w/ experience, GMG springs & sways vs. stock?