Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a CPO'd porsche, no maintenance history am I getting screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Gas Doc
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a CPO'd porsche, no maintenance history am I getting screwed?

So I picked up a 997TT with 55k miles about 3 months ago; bought the car CPO'd. The car has no maintenance records so there is no way to know when the plugs were last done. The dealer says they were probably done around 30k and so they should be done again at 60k miles.

My question is since there is no record of the plugs ever being done shouldn't the dealership have to do the plugs to "bring maintenance up to date" before selling me the car? If they can provide me with records that the plugs were done previously then technically the maintenance was up to date when they sold me the car at 55k and then they would be okay but if they cant prove the plugs were ever done shouldn't they have to do them?

Thanks guys!
Old 10-01-2013, 11:21 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Gas Doc, If the car is CPO'd by Porsche then you are covered, and not screwed...take it easy on yourself!

I don't know about the rest of your questions. But I thought that Porsche service computers were all linked together, so a dealer should know based on your VIN your car's history...
Old 10-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Gas Doc
AutoX

When I bought the car I was told by the manager of the dealership that the previous owner told him the plugs were done at 40k so the next time I should do them would be around 70k (but he does not have any records of any maintenance whatsoever).

I brought the car in for a minor issue last week (3 months into ownership) and my service adviser told me I should get the plugs done very soon since the car now has almost 58k on it and without records that the plugs were done at 40k we should assume they are due at 60k. This makes me a little upset because its a decent chunk of change to do the plugs and I just purchased the car. It is my understanding that all porsche cpo'd cars need to have up to date service at time of sale so if they cant prove the plugs were ever done then shouldn't they pickup the tab for the service?
Old 10-01-2013, 11:50 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

When you buy a CPO car, by certification process, all the required services should have already be done and there should not be any service due for so many thousand miles?

What I would suggest is, EMAIL the service manager asking him a general question that you recently bought a CPO Porsche with these many miles and were wondering when the next service is due.

Lets see what he has to say?

Make sure you send him the VIN # and the miles at the time of purchase and don't forget, no tele call, EMAIL ONLY (for documentation).

You should have also received a copy of Certification process (check list) where the tech should have commented about the

general health and maintenance of the engine/car?

One more reason to stay away from friggen CPO cars (what a joke)

Hope this helps.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:41 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, they should have been done for CPO if the dealer does not have documentation. At your mileage absolutely. you should not be expected to pay for the plugs. That's the point of the CPO car it is up to Porsche spec as a new car would be on the lot.

At my dealership... the tech biggest customer was me- the sales dept. The work is done and billed to the car internally. It cost X to bring it up to CPO standards and the warranty cost Y = XYZ to the car.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:47 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
But I thought that Porsche service computers were all linked together, so a dealer should know based on your VIN your car's history...
Unfortunately, I've not found this to be the case. As far as I know, service at your local dealer while matched to your VIN doesn't go into a nationwide database. If it does it's not a consistent exercise by the dealers.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

^wow! I did not know that! I just assumed that was the case...
Old 10-02-2013, 09:09 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Porsche service computers are not linked. I was able to get copies of the previous service records by contacting the dealer/s shown on my Carfax report.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:54 AM
2thdoc
Rennlist Member

My car has 24k miles and the dealer notifies me that a 24k mi service is needed which includes oil change and spark plug change. I asked if they had service history from other dealers and they said no, they are not linked. I have the service done and later do some searching only to find out that the plugs were changed by the previous owner 5k miles ago at another dealer!
Oh well, live and learn!

Last edited by 2thdoc; 10-02-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Gas Doc
So I picked up a 997TT with 55k miles about 3 months ago; bought the car CPO'd. The car has no maintenance records so there is no way to know when the plugs were last done. The dealer says they were probably done around 30k and so they should be done again at 60k miles.

My question is since there is no record of the plugs ever being done shouldn't the dealership have to do the plugs to "bring maintenance up to date" before selling me the car? If they can provide me with records that the plugs were done previously then technically the maintenance was up to date when they sold me the car at 55k and then they would be okay but if they cant prove the plugs were ever done shouldn't they have to do them?

Thanks guys!
The dealer was going by what the owner said. The plugs were changed.

CPO doesn't involve fully servicing the car. Only issues that need addressing are addressed. For instance (based on one situation I'm sort of familiar with) if the brake wear warning light is on the brakes will be done. But if the light is not on even if the brakes are very worn, as long as there are no other brake issues begging for attention the brakes will not be touched.

A slipping clutch will be addressed. A non-slipping clutch with even with lots of miles on it will not be replaced out of hand.

In short CPO does not mean the car is reconditioned only that it is roadworthy with no outstanding issues.

With a Carfax report you can know the regions/areas where the car spent some time and call dealers in those areas and with the car's VIN see if you learn what servicing the car had. Dealer service records are not linked, there is no central database for these.

This is what I did before I bought my Turbo and I learned the car had reasonable servicing, but there were a few things due, like brake/clutch fluid flush/bleed.

Unless you learn the plugs were changed earlier and are not due now on miles or time I would advise you to have them changed. Plugs are due to be changed on time due to the risk of corrosion causing the plugs to freeze in the head and damage the threads of the head when removed.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:50 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was on the phone with my tech for about 55 minutes today on various stuff - from my turbo to introducing him to my friends so his band could open for them. Anyway, along the way- I brought this story up.

Here it is- if a service item is needed- such as spark plugs and there are not records of them being completed per CPO rules all servicing is to be completed to put the CPO warranty on the vehicle.

As Macster pointed a slipping clutch will be replaced a well used one that is working will not- but that is not the same as a service item being missed.

My tech agreed & we discussed the processes since the sales dept at a dealership is generally the #1 custoemr for the service dept. I know not every place is the same for the simple fact dealerships are franchisees and are known to have "regional rules" or "its the way it is here." I'm just giving you what top PCNA certified Tech go by as their rankings are based sometimes on quality of worked completed. The tech is suppose to sign off on a laundry list of paperwork.

that's my .02 If I was you I'd call PCNA in Atlanta and ask for your regional PCNA rep to call you to discuss this issue.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:53 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

^1 agree 100%. I could not absolutely verify my plugs had ever been changed so I had them changed at 27K miles. It's good thing I did, they were OEM and the threads on two were frozen and seized. They were a PITA to remove and would have caused me a lot of problems if I had waited. Eat the financial bullet and replace your plugs, you'll sleep better!
Old 10-02-2013, 01:09 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

CPO doesn't involve fully servicing the car. Only issues that need addressing are addressed. For instance (based on one situation I'm sort of familiar with) if the brake wear warning light is on the brakes will be done. But if the light is not on even if the brakes are very worn, as long as there are no other brake issues begging for attention the brakes will not be touched.
I completely disagree with you here.

During the certification process, tech would comment as to what percentage of brake pads life is left > Similarly they would also comment on various other items like rotors, tires, wheels and of course the fluids besides other items.

Now whether Porsche dealer honestly performs all that work or not is a different story?

My take on CPO is, run away from it as fast as you can and save that money and buy a good after market extended warranty.

Please find attached a quick Porsche CPo document:

Scroll down to Page 2 to the right under " Porsche Approved"

Yeah talk about " peace of mind" ... what a friggen Joke
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Porsche CPO 2.pdf (701.6 KB, 726 views)

Last edited by C2 Turbo; 10-02-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Why do you think the plugs need to be changed, is the car running poorly?
Old 10-02-2013, 08:00 PM
porscheprestige
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I was told that brakes and tires must be at minimum 50% left on a CPO car.

Quick Reply: Bought a CPO'd porsche, no maintenance history am I getting screwed?