Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a CPO'd porsche, no maintenance history am I getting screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 10:59 PM
EDEZ TT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CPO Inspection checklist

Originally Posted by porscheprestige
I was told that brakes and tires must be at minimum 50% left on a CPO car.
The CPO checklist I received with my car states: "Brake pad wear (if less than 50% remains, replace pads)". On the spark plug replacement, is the engine dropped to gain access?
Old 10-03-2013, 11:23 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EDEZ TT

No my engine is not being dropped to get to the spark plugs. It is a PITA on the 997TT.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:56 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

if the car idles fine, then why mess with that? Plugs are about $900-1100 depending on dealer. Find someone with a Durametric and check out the engine performance at idle and at various RPM's. Check the MAF and EGT values. Combustion temps are primarily a direct result of the combustion process which occurs from introducing fuel, air, spark and timing to the cylinder. If there is no hesitation, sluggishness then don't worry. She will tell you when she feels bad.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:46 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
if the car idles fine, then why mess with that? Plugs are about $900-1100 depending on dealer. Find someone with a Durametric and check out the engine performance at idle and at various RPM's. Check the MAF and EGT values. Combustion temps are primarily a direct result of the combustion process which occurs from introducing fuel, air, spark and timing to the cylinder. If there is no hesitation, sluggishness then don't worry. She will tell you when she feels bad.
Agreed. I am a big fan of CPO. My '03 C4S motor had and IMS failure and Porsche put in a brand new motor within 3 days. So far with CPO cars (on my 3rd now), I have not had to pay for 1 repair. I don't think I would buy another modern P-car without one.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:16 PM
964Heaven
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can I ask, How much for Plugs? Oil Change?
Old 10-03-2013, 05:39 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by CT944
Agreed. I am a big fan of CPO. My '03 C4S motor had and IMS failure and Porsche put in a brand new motor within 3 days. So far with CPO cars (on my 3rd now), I have not had to pay for 1 repair. I don't think I would buy another modern P-car without one.
That's right, CPO is nothing but a 2 year warranty. The problem is, certification process has a certain strict standard set forth by Porsche NA to be followed by all the dealers but very few seem to follow that and to top it off, Porsche NA can't implement that standard either.

Now, the question is; Is the high dealer prices, usually $5000 to $10,000 worth the 2 year warranty or not?

Personally I bought a Fidelity platinum extended warranty for 5 yrs/60,000 miles for under $4000.

The only problem I have had in 2 years of my ownership was a broken hood release switch which was covered by fidelity with out any fuss
Old 10-04-2013, 12:02 AM
CT944
Drifting

Yes, CPO is just a 2 year warranty. Find a good Porsche service advisor and it is like gold. CPO is an $1,800 up charge, not sure where you got $5-10k from. Whether you have CPO or Fidelity, it is worth the additional spend to cover unexpected repairs. I have probably had over $40k in repairs covered across my 3 CPO Porsches and for me, I am very happy with the return to date.

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
That's right, CPO is nothing but a 2 year warranty. The problem is, certification process has a certain strict standard set forth by Porsche NA to be followed by all the dealers but very few seem to follow that and to top it off, Porsche NA can't implement that standard either.

Now, the question is; Is the high dealer prices, usually $5000 to $10,000 worth the 2 year warranty or not?

Personally I bought a Fidelity platinum extended warranty for 5 yrs/60,000 miles for under $4000.

The only problem I have had in 2 years of my ownership was a broken hood release switch which was covered by fidelity with out any fuss
Old 10-06-2013, 11:41 PM
Gas Doc
AutoX

Here is an update. I spoke to a local Porsche dealer --> Paul Miller Porsche in NJ, (I moved to NJ after buying the car in NY at Roslyn Porsche) I asked the CPO manager at Paul Miller and he said all maintenance must be brought up to date before they can CPO a car, that means at 50k if there is no record of the plugs ever being changed then they should do the service. I also called Porsche NA and they advised me to try to work it out with the dealer.

With this information I contacted the service manager at Roslyn Porsche who was completely lost. She insisted that the first time the plugs are due on a 997TT is at 60k miles. I politely suggested that she may be incorrect but she assured me she is the service manager and she knows what she is talking about. While on the phone I emailed her the Porsche maintenance interval PDF from the Porsche website. She said she would review it and call me back. I did not receive a call back, so the following day I called her. She said it was a sales issue and advised me to speak with the sales manager Mike.

Despite several attempts I was unable to get in touch with the manager so I left him a VM. He did return my call about 20 minutes later and was very upset. He said I was a problem customer "looking for things." He told me before CPOing the car they changed the brakes, they gave me new tires and even had to order me a brand new key since the previous owner traded in the car with 1 key. He insisted that they went out of their way and the car is now 100%. He said the spark plug issue is not important and that I should just deal with it on my own.

He refused to deal with any more complaints since they have "lost money" on this car. He said he will buy back this car to avoid dealing with complaints and will never sell me another car ever again. By this point I felt bullied and belittled; he was speaking in a very condescending tone. I immediately called his bluff and said terrific buy the car back? How does that work? Are you going to give me a full refund? He stopped for a second and said no, I will cut you a check for whatever remains on your car loan as soon as you bring me a title.

Some background info - So I don't have the title to the car yet even though I bought it back in June because the idiots at Roslyn Porsche never sent the lien release paperwork from the previous owner/bank to the DMV this paperwork is still pending. The manager was aware of this issue and knows I will not have a title anytime soon since they have not yet procured the lien release from the previous owner/bank.

So now the question guys WTF should I do with this situation. Should I leave it alone and just get the plugs changed elsewhere? Should I try to take this guy up on the buy back even though he is most likely bluffing.. Or should I continue to fight and try to get Porsche NA to call the dealership on my behalf?

Car is a 2007 997TT 6 speed manual, bought it in June with 55k miles for 65k, currently have 66k left to pay on the loan, I financed the entire cost of the car plus taxes.

I am seriously confused.. Sorry for the long post..
Old 10-06-2013, 11:52 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Compare the cost of servicing the car vs the cost of selling it back to them and even if you lose few dollars, return the car back to focking Roslyn Porsche.

The asses should have serviced the car and no matter how much these suckers make money on the car they still would tell you how much they lost on it.

They tried to save money by not CPO the car the way it should have been.

Go in with the mind set of returning the car back and watch their stupid *** jaws dropping to the floor. Now that would be the time you ask for all the maintenance done to the car including the spark plugs, fluid change and the brake pads or else they take the car back.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:10 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Call the bluff, take it back. Sounds like a tool of a dealership... Said they would never, ever sell you a car again? Dang. Sounds pretty petty and childish of them. There are many respectful and reputable dealers out there. Seek one out.

Just my $.02
Old 10-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

If you are asking for opinions...and if this is over a set of spark plugs I would definitely not get my blood pressure up....if you like the car just move on and enjoy the car. An indy can change the plugs and fluids...just not worth going to war...at least I would not waste my time.

(Having said this the s*b that was rude to you at the dealership is just NOT right...not good at all)
Old 10-07-2013, 08:53 PM
CT944
Drifting

Sad to hear. My car had 16k when I bought it in May 2013 and for the CPO, they changed the plugs. They said they wanted to make sure as after 5 years on a turbo, it was recommend even though there were low miles on the car. In most cases, the service dept will do all recommended maintenance regardless of what the sales dept thinks.

If it were me, I would never go back to the original dealer. Chalk it up to perhaps you not being as informed as you should have been. Just enjoy the car as I am sure it runs perfect, but start to build a rapport with the service advisor at Paul Miller. Move on, not worth your time for a relatively minor annoyance.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:06 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've used that dealer for years (7cars), never had any negative issues at all, in fact I've had many thing$ grandfathered in post warranty. Michael even helped me get nearly all my cf replaced under cpo (would've been a 6k hit). Not sure what went wrong in your case. I'd reach out to Evan, the owner with your issues. I'd also contact the po to sort out the story. Re the cpo, I believe Macster is correct.
GL
Old 10-10-2013, 10:13 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
If you are asking for opinions...and if this is over a set of spark plugs I would definitely not get my blood pressure up....if you like the car just move on and enjoy the car. An indy can change the plugs and fluids...just not worth going to war...at least I would not waste my time.

(Having said this the s*b that was rude to you at the dealership is just NOT right...not good at all)
The voice of reason ! Please listen to it.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
The voice of reason ! Please listen to it.
+++ That

What if they take your car in saying that they will change the sparkplugs, then not change the sparkplugs and still do something nasty to your car, how would you know? Believe me, it is possible and not worth it.

Two options: Stress about it and fight to return the car or relax, get a friend with some tools and plugs and do it yourself or get an Indy and have him do it. Not a major cost on a 997, start to enjoy the car, which is what buying one is all about.

Quick Reply: Bought a CPO'd porsche, no maintenance history am I getting screwed?