Sponsored by:

Front Plate (Texas Law)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 09:13 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
so you pay no taxes to support Hawaiian roads? but do in a state run by a Bush? nice
Well I'm not gonna bite off on the Bush thing, but yes, and I don't feel the slightest bit bad about it. I try to avoid giving the bureaucratic Hawaiian govt a dime. Just a small perk of raising my right hand.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

I only got one no plate ticket when in CA, and it was with a parking ticket, on my 993.

I put a tow hook plate on. Didn't like the look, but an elegant solution if you keep getting hassled.

Now I live in a rear plate only state.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Cbwell
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in TX, got the US Millworks solution. I don't want a front plate but it beats getting pulled over randomly.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:47 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbwell
I'm in TX, got the US Millworks solution. I don't want a front plate but it beats getting pulled over randomly.
Agree...no need to provide probable cause.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:34 AM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

I've only been pulled over once in 13 years for no front lic plate and it was in Austin when driving back to Dallas after the F1 race. Of the sports cars I see in the north Dallas area only a very low percentage run with front lic plates.

Walt
Old 08-10-2013, 09:41 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WaltB
I've only been pulled over once in 13 years for no front lic plate and it was in Austin when driving back to Dallas after the F1 race. Of the sports cars I see in the north Dallas area only a very low percentage run with front lic plates.

Walt
One of my pullovers was also on I35 on the Sunday of F1 - DPS was everywhere.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:38 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
so you pay no taxes to support Hawaiian roads? but do in a state run by a Bush? nice
Ehhh... get you $hit together on the facts there (Bush has been out for years) and also take a look at the welfare issue and social service abuse in Hawaii and then decide which one you'd support...
Old 08-10-2013, 02:39 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
Ehhh... get you $hit together on the facts there (Bush has been out for years) and also take a look at the welfare issue and social service abuse in Hawaii and then decide which one you'd support...
+1. Couldn't have put it any better myself. The only reason the HI govt can survive is because of the massive amounts of federal military money, and tourism. The funny thing is they have little respect for both, even though they are their life blood. I absolutely love the place, but won't be becoming a resident or paying a dime in taxes here any time soon.

Sorry OP, no more off topic from me.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:01 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I went the tow hook route, but I've never been happy with the offset look. I recently ordered the Skene Design low profile front mount that avoids visible holes in the front bumper, but haven't had time to install it yet.

http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml
Old 08-11-2013, 01:55 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys gonna love this...

I have lived in San Diego for 7 year and never once hassled. I was in West Hollywood yesterday and got TWO no front plate tickets (by a meter maid while the car was street parked) in a matter of hours on my Spyder. Freakin hilarious
Old 08-11-2013, 02:11 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by svb
You guys gonna love this...

I have lived in San Diego for 7 year and never once hassled. I was in West Hollywood yesterday and got TWO no front plate tickets (by a meter maid while the car was street parked) in a matter of hours on my Spyder. Freakin hilarious
Spyder as in Boxster?
Old 08-12-2013, 12:28 AM
Runner
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts

Starting September 1st, 2013 only one rear plate will be issued. http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Search/...ighlightType=1
Old 08-12-2013, 12:29 AM
Runner
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts

83R4379 VOO-D By: Lavender H.B. No. 657 A BILL TO BE ENTITLED AN ACT relating to the number of license plates to be issued for and displayed on motor vehicles. BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS: SECTION 1. Subchapter A, Chapter 504, Transportation Code, is amended by adding Section 504.011 to read as follows: Sec. 504.011. ISSUANCE AND DISPLAY OF LICENSE PLATE. (a) Notwithstanding anything in this code to the contrary, the department shall issue only one license plate for attachment at the rear of the vehicle for which the plate is issued. (b) Notwithstanding anything in this code to the contrary, a person is entitled to operate on a public highway a vehicle that displays only one license plate if the plate is attached at the rear of the vehicle. A person may operate on a public highway a vehicle that displays two license plates if both plates were assigned by the department for the registration period as a set of plates. (c) In any provision of this code that relates to the issuance or display of "license plates," "plates," or a "set of plates," the term means only one license plate. SECTION 2. Section 504.943, Transportation Code, is amended by amending Subsection (b) and adding Subsection (e) to read as follows: (b) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car, light truck, road tractor, motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer that does not display a license plate that: (1) has been assigned by the department for the period; and (2) complies with department rules regarding the placement of license plates. (e) In this section, "light truck" and "passenger car" have the meanings assigned by Section 541.201. SECTION 3. The change in law made by this Act regarding the issuance of license plates by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles applies only to the issuance of license plates by the department for a registration period beginning on or after the effective date of this Act. SECTION 4. This Act takes effect September 1, 2013.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use plastic zip-ties through the grill. Works great.
Just buy good quality, long ties and snip them.
Cheap ties dry out quickly and break.
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2013, 09:01 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DCP
Unfortunately, it appears to be wishful thinking. The only change to that section of the Transportation Code is the addition of a section that says that violation of the section (that is, not displaying two license plates) is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.
See post #28 above.

Quick Reply: Front Plate (Texas Law)