Sponsored by:

Front Plate (Texas Law)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Front Plate (Texas Law)

I have refused (like the rest of the Porsche community) to install a front plate. If you live in Texas, I'm sure you have been pulled over and giving a warning or two. For me, I have been pulled over for the fifth time. Officer told me he had no choice to write me a ticket on the fifth offense.

Today, I give into the law and go to my Porsche dealership to see about options on how to install the front plate without screwing up the bumper. The dealership advised me to hold off because the law is gone in September this year. Until then, put the plate on your dash.

I hope it's true. Anyone know about this?
Old 08-09-2013, 04:47 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 193 Posts

How much is the ticket?

I've found the hard way that law enforcement officials love to give you no front plate tickets if you've been caught speeding or for some other offense but they can't prove it. In those cases paying the ticket ($40 around here) is well worth it. Although sometimes just taping the plate to the bumper and mailing a photo along with a not guilty plea does the trick
Old 08-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
How much is the ticket?

I've found the hard way that law enforcement officials love to give you no front plate tickets if you've been caught speeding or for some other offense but they can't prove it. In those cases paying the ticket ($40 around here) is well worth it. Although sometimes just taping the plate to the bumper and mailing a photo along with a not guilty plea does the trick
$10 dollars and a copy of your registration along with photos of your car. I'm just tired of the hassle. Hope the law goes away.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 268 Posts

I don't know about the law change, but maybe you can mount using the tow hook access point, like what these folks make?
http://www.usmillworks.com/porsche_f..._tow_hook.html
Old 08-09-2013, 05:54 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same here in CA but haven't been harassed yet. September is a few weeks away, do you drive it daily or just to the track? Can you wait a few weeks?
Old 08-09-2013, 05:57 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn, condolences......I hate front plates......ONE thing that is nice about NC is we only need one
Old 08-09-2013, 06:18 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I got pulled over a dozen times entering the midtown tunnel into NYC, simply not worth the hassle.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:24 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Runner
I have refused (like the rest of the Porsche community) to install a front plate. If you live in Texas, I'm sure you have been pulled over and giving a warning or two. For me, I have been pulled over for the fifth time. Officer told me he had no choice to write me a ticket on the fifth offense.

Today, I give into the law and go to my Porsche dealership to see about options on how to install the front plate without screwing up the bumper. The dealership advised me to hold off because the law is gone in September this year. Until then, put the plate on your dash.

Where in Texas are you? I've been stopped 3 times in the last couple of months - twice by DPS, once by local PD. DPS gives a written warning, no "fix" or fine. Local PD gave a verbal warning. How did the officer know you already had 4 warnings and what was the violation? Anyway, I got tired of being stopped so I mounted a tow hook plate (US Mills). I don't even know it's there any more and it will be easily removed if in fact the law has changed.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Igooz
I don't know about the law change, but maybe you can mount using the tow hook access point, like what these folks make?
http://www.usmillworks.com/porsche_f..._tow_hook.html
Thanks for the link. This was also a recommendation from the dealership if I was bound to mount the plate.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eurotom
Same here in CA but haven't been harassed yet. September is a few weeks away, do you drive it daily or just to the track? Can you wait a few weeks?
I drive on the weekend. Track it twice a year through PCA. I may try the tow hook option.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:47 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts

Exactly why I live in Hawaii but keep registering my car in Florida. It really pisses the cops off here in HI, but they can't do a damn thing about it.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Where in Texas are you? I've been stopped 3 times in the last couple of months - twice by DPS, once by local PD. DPS gives a written warning, no "fix" or fine. Local PD gave a verbal warning. How did the officer know you already had 4 warnings and what was the violation? Anyway, I got tired of being stopped so I mounted a tow hook plate (US Mills). I don't even know it's there any more and it will be easily removed if in fact the law has changed.
I live in Stephenville and commute to Fort Worth on Friday. DPS are all over the place. Speed limits have recently bumped up to 75, maybe that's slowing things down a bit for DPS and they are looking at plates more. They keep record of everything.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:09 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Runner
The dealership advised me to hold off because the law is gone in September this year. Until then, put the plate on your dash.

Unfortunately, it appears to be wishful thinking. The only change to that section of the Transportation Code is the addition of a section that says that violation of the section (that is, not displaying two license plates) is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 PM
robhamster
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

In Colorado it is required to have a front plate but selective enforcement. When I parked on the street in Denver, I would get a ticket from the parking police for no front plate ($75 fine). After two of those, I purchased the device that screws into the tow assembly that will hold the plate so I satisfy the police yet do not drill holes in my car.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:21 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dewilmoth
Exactly why I live in Hawaii but keep registering my car in Florida. It really pisses the cops off here in HI, but they can't do a damn thing about it.
so you pay no taxes to support Hawaiian roads? but do in a state run by a Bush? nice

Quick Reply: Front Plate (Texas Law)