Sponsored by:

Launch with Tip and associated thrill

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 12:49 AM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Launch with Tip and associated thrill

When I figured out that using the break and accelerator to build up maximum boost with the tip in sport I was addicted to the rush on takeoff.

Maybe a dumb question but curious does anyone do that from time to time or every time they have a chance? Dumping the clutch I am sure is very hard for a manual (learned that a long time ago) but what about the tip? Is that rough as well on the system?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2013, 01:24 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

nuclearfishin (sp?) had done some research on this and that the new TIP is beefed up for this kind of launch. Send him a PM.

How high does the revs. go on the launch? I think that it is supposed to be computer controlled to 3,000 rpm? Or maybe that is when the TC locks up? not sure...never done it...
Old 07-12-2013, 09:51 AM
RPB
Intermediate

Good morning all,
I have a 2008 997.1 with TIP. I have never used the "launch control". What is the procedure?

I am assuming :
1) Sport mode on
2) PASM on
3) left foot hard on brake
4) right foot buried in the accelerator
5) rev to 3000 rpm
Then let go brake.

Question : Is there any indicators electronic or otherwise that tells you that you are at max boost and ready to go?
What about hand brake?
Old 07-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

Basically what you have in the steps although I watch for the arrow to appear and watch the boost gauge build up quite a bit and let go of the brake. Insane acceleration from a standing start versus the turbo lag if you just floor it and go. Never paid attention to the RPM although a bit nervous to try it again if it's to hard on the vehicle.
I keep the boost visual in the dashboard so I can see what's happening.
PDK in the new vehicles I believe declutches while you build up boost or something like that.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:22 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

In a previous post I made, Porsche references brake boosting for the 997.1:
http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=297

I've been doing it and can say the car doesn't let rpm's above 3000. One additional step to the above is to turn PSM off and you'll notice an even better takeoff. I should caveat that I'm going to have some Switzer mods done, probably the P700 package. Talking to him he says the stock tip can handle 700 hp no problem, but I've already decided if anything happens to the stock tip I'm going to have the Switzer tip upgrade done so I'm not too worried, but don't plan on doing it until I have to (hoping I don't).

Quick Reply: Launch with Tip and associated thrill