Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DME Report Guidance - Thought's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:38 PM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DME Report Guidance - Thought's?

Hi All,

I am closing in on purchasing my first Porsche - an '07 997TT. The owner sent me this DME report. Based on my limited knowledge, I am hoping to find a car with no Type 3 + readings. That said, it seems there are few out there that have anything under Type 3 readings.

Thoughts on this report? Good or bad? Should I worry about pursuing this car further? It has 36K miles on the ODO and looks to be very clean. Has about a year left on the CPO warranty. That said, I would be bringing this car into Canada and my understanding is that the warranty is null and void.
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2013, 01:15 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

DME report is fine. If it has the right options and the price is right get it. But don't overpay for a CPO car if you can't use the warranty.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:07 AM
MK_TT
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

that DME is fine, at 36k miles, and with that low of range 1 numbers, the car was babied. Almost too much

I just decided to pass on a car w/ 24k miles that was flashed and had the following:

Range 1: 20420
Range 2: 2756
Range 3: 779
Range 4: 211
Range 5: 0
Range 6: 0
Old 07-04-2013, 02:17 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MJK 944
that DME is fine, at 36k miles, and with that low of range 1 numbers, the car was babied. Almost too much

I just decided to pass on a car w/ 24k miles that was flashed and had the following:

Range 1: 20420
Range 2: 2756
Range 3: 779
Range 4: 211
Range 5: 0
Range 6: 0
Did you pass because of the range 4s or high number of range 1s?

OP I think the DME looks fine, good luck
Old 07-04-2013, 02:35 AM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts

I just purchased a 07 tt with the following. 10,151 miles. The range 1 is really high, didn't really notice that until now. I wonder if the car was flashed which would cause the high #1 readings? I'm not crazy about the fact that the car obviously had the worst missed downshift of its life 2.3 hours ago. But since it only had 2 ignitions in range 4 it couldn't have been there long. Fingers crossed that I don't have any issues. The car is flawless and was obviously babied.

Range 1: 6015 336.3h
Range 2: 340 336.3h
Range 3: 37 336.3h
Range 4: 2 336.3
Range 5: - -
Range 6: - -
Operating Hours: 338.6h
Old 07-04-2013, 07:44 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Come on people

This DME thing is getting way out of hand. This engine is not made of chocolate you know !

FAR more important than a few over revs is the fact if the engine was revved when cold. You can't measure or verify that.

Once people come on a Porsche forum they start reading about over revs and panic. Are you all just 18 or so ?
Didn't you buy (used) cars before ? Did you all worry about over revs than ?

MJK944, probably that 'driver' took great care in warming up the car before hammering it. So very likely that car would have given you great fun. Free revving, well broken in cars tend to have more power.
I am sure you'll find a 'clean' DME car soon, lets hope the owner did not forget to warm it up before stepping on the gas and changing gears at 5500 rpm.

Edit: wanted to add that Porsche CPO's cars with type 6 over revs when past 200 hours operating and after leak down test.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:31 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Same believe, want a clean over rev, buy new. Or... Take it to a runner pay him and he will Zero them out.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
Come on people

This DME thing is getting way out of hand. This engine is not made of chocolate you know !

FAR more important than a few over revs is the fact if the engine was revved when cold. You can't measure or verify that.

Once people come on a Porsche forum they start reading about over revs and panic. Are you all just 18 or so ?

MJK944, probably that 'driver' took great care in warming up the car before hammering it. So very likely that car would have given you great fun. Free revving, well broken in cars tend to have more power.
I am sure you'll find a 'clean' DME car soon, lets hope the owner did not forget to warm it up before stepping on the gas and changing gears at 5500 rpm.

Edit: wanted to add that Porsche CPO's cars with type 6 over revs when past 200 hours operating and after leak down test.
Yup... outta hand.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:18 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree, don't get overly hung up on dme reports. The report in question is fine.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:57 PM
beamon
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you selling your RS4? I recently bought a 997.2 turbo 6 speed and although I like the car, I am glad I kept the RS4 as the high revving v8 and exhaust sound is great to come back into after driving the turbo...don't get me wrong...turbo is fast and fun but the RS4 just has its own unique character. I am keeping both for now. Good luck in the hunt.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

Here are some previous posts about this subject...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...-report-3.html
Old 07-04-2013, 05:01 PM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beamon
Are you selling your RS4? I recently bought a 997.2 turbo 6 speed and although I like the car, I am glad I kept the RS4 as the high revving v8 and exhaust sound is great to come back into after driving the turbo...don't get me wrong...turbo is fast and fun but the RS4 just has its own unique character. I am keeping both for now. Good luck in the hunt.
Yes, my RS4 is up for sale. The RS4 is definitely a unique car, I know I will miss it, no doubt. Really looking to get into a 2-door coupe, with turbo again.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:32 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Come on people

Well said Denis!
Old 07-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Come on people

Just because there's no way of knowing an engine was overreved when cold is no reason to not make use of what we can know about a car and its engine.

The DME overrev counters is just one bit of data to help a prospective buyer make a good decision about a used car. The buyer is free to assign any weight he wants to based on what the overrev counters have to say.

Many of us bought used cars before the day of overrev counters. But I wouldn't trade those days for these days. I like the fact there is a rev limiter and not only that but there are counters that are used to record the overrevs should they occur.

If one is buying a CPO car then over revs in the higher ranges may not matter so much. However, I note many a CPO warranty expires on time and not miles so it is not like Porsche is on the hook for the car a full in the case of my Turbo 100K miles. My Turbo's CPO warranty expired on time after I had managed to put just 50K miles on the car. Still I felt I got the benefit of a full new car warranty, and then another 10K miles. [Added: The car was bought used with around 10K miles on it.] Which points out Porsche was only on the hook for another 10K miles over the 50K miles warranty the car came with new. Thus while a car with overrevs in the higher ranges can be CPO'd, it is not a real strong recommendation to buy one as Porsche's exposure can be quite low. But if one is going to hang on to the car after the CPO warranty expires then the exposure once again is borne by the owner.

So, if one is buying a car sans any warranty he is entitled to be a bit more selective in which cars he considers, if he wants to be.

Last edited by Macster; 07-05-2013 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Changed hand to hang. Added [Added...].
Old 07-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Ewen Owen
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07_RS4
That said, I would be bringing this car into Canada and my understanding is that the warranty is null and void.
Hi, I'm also in Canada and am hoping one day to import a car.

DME aside, a US car under warranty is also under warranty in Canada. Porsche's Canadian dealers will try hard to make it sound difficult/impossible to import a car but even on their site they acknowledge that a US warranty is valid. http://halifax.porschedealer.com/canadian_owners/index4.php

Good luck!!

Quick Reply: DME Report Guidance - Thought's?