Sponsored by:

997TT and road trip...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013 | 08:03 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Default 997TT and road trip...

Well folks, it has been 30 years since I went on a solo road trip. And the last one was a cross country motorcycle trip on a Honda CB750 from NYS to CA and back to NYS and then I was off to work… you know the rest…blink of an eye and 30 years has gone by!

I decide to put together a short report for you and a few pictures (limit is 12 on RL)...so here we go!

I got my ‘07TT in order with an oil change and tire balance, and I went through everything else and made sure that the car was trip worthy. I then got my business in order and took two weeks off. I left Chicago on May 25th. and I made it to N. Colorado on June 8th. (where we are from).

A summary of the trip:
+ 4,000 miles on the car in 13 days.
+ Mostly took two lane roads with the exception of a few interstate jaunts
+ Route: Wisconsin, Minnesota, N. Dakota, Montana, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah…
+ Average mpg: 22.7
+ Trip top speed: ~185mph (of course not on public roads and yes I am lying I never went that fast…)
+ Fuel economy at 185mph was 5.6mpg
+ Stopped by a couple of Porsche dealers along the way and they all were pretty nice. But it sure seems like PCNA has turned the Porsche dealers to be like McDonalds…they were all the same! But always nice people…
+ Spokane, WA: Someone in a red ’62 Impala bubble top (ProStreet) kicked my butt in a street/drag race…turned out the guy had a 632ci Chevy BB and a 4.30:1 rear axle with a spool…I did not drag anyone again! There is always someone faster…lesson re-learned!
+ Unbelievable Beautiful roads in Wisconsin! It was like driving in the Pacific Northwest! wow! And so close to Chicago!
+ Montana…well…did they enact the speed limit law up there?
+ N. Cascades highway in WA is awesome!!!!!
+ Oregon and California coastal highways are just incredible! Makes me want to move there!
+ I passed everyone with respect...and met many great people along the way...

Trip ended at the Colorado Concours in Denver. Many nice cars and I am attaching some pictures for you! I am sure some of them belong to RL’ers…

Comments for RL:
+ The natural leather option tends to hold up really well…some leather cleaner and oil and the leather tends to continue to look brand new. (You may want to consider ordering…it is definitely better than the “other” leather I have in my Pcars.)
+ Do not order the optional leather on the door opening sill unless you are a contortionist...it is hard to avoid scuffing it.
+ TIP: did an OK job, although there were times that I would have liked PDK “blips”…and there were a few times that I felt like I had a dead pedal.
+ Tinted windows make it hard to see at night; especially at night and in rain and moving at speed…
+ Modern HID and LED headlamps really improve night driving…get them if you can.
+ Order Sirius/XM if you are going on trips!
+ Michelin PS (summer tires) do not like snow and steep mountains AT ALL!
+ ILKO: thank you...the trash can makes a great garage laptop stand!

Questions for RL:
+ Suspension very wobbly and being 100% stock I will need to upgrade…ideas?
+ I am definitely going to buy the HRE P40’s – I am just waiting to figure out the correct offset, etc. (Riley?)
+ I need to touch up some paint – go with Dr. Colorchip?
+ I explained what I can only call "dead pedal". Several times off the line I pressed the throttle and no response for about 1-2 sec! Anyone else?
+ It seems like my automatic climate control always defaults to 72F. So everytime I restarted the car, it would be at 72F instead of where I had it last. Is this normal?!
+ My TPMS gives me an error code when it is cold outside...I am guessing batteries? (these are the original TPMS on the car)
+ TPMS; why would pressure jump 5 lbs on one side only?

Conclusion: The 997TT is by far the best Porsche that I have ever owned (’86 Carerra, ’93 RSA, ’92 964T, ’02 6GT2, ’01 6TT, ’08 7GT2, my wife’s CGTS). The car after 6 years has been very reliable and actually durable. The interior has held up well with minimum buzz-rattle and squeaks…And the ride is very cushy and soft, to the point that it almost bothers me when I push the car. For sure a GT car to me…

I hope that the next "drive" is not 30 years from now...

PS: I used to have a 3.0CSL and sold it 3 years ago, and I could not help myself and I have attached one non-pcar picture!!
Attached Images                

Last edited by Igooz; 06-09-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-09-2013 | 08:12 PM
CT944
Drifting

Wow, sounds like a dream trip, great that you made it happen. Congrats!
Old 06-09-2013 | 09:06 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Congrats on actually doing it!! I would like to do something similar some day.......still busy with kids, work, other pursuits. I offer a BIG word of caution re: Dr. Colorchip. It does NOT work as advertised. I speak from experience on a previous (non P) car. IMHO you would be better off just having the nose re-sprayed. It shouldn't hurt the car value since it was not an accident.

Last edited by Porsche 25th; 06-09-2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-09-2013 | 10:43 PM
dherman76
Advanced

Amazing trip and thank you for sharing!!
Old 06-09-2013 | 10:50 PM
Boeing 717

Yea my sills are leather too. They get scuffed pretty easily.
Old 06-10-2013 | 02:46 AM
Macster
Race Director

Reads like a good trip. Makes me want to hit the road again.

Wisconsin roads are ok. I don't remember much about them on my drive up the middle of the state other than there was not much traffic at all. Passed one pick up in I don't know how many miles and the driver flipped me off. I wasn't showing off or making a big high speed pass just a few mph faster and had plenty of room. Miles it seemed to pass.

Spotted a large bear rambling across the highway. Never saw a bear in the wild before and thought about stopping the car to see if I could take a pic. Then I thought again and didn't.

Montana has had a speed limit for a while now. Used to be "Reasonable and Prudent" but each driver has his own idea, each cop his own idea, and each court yet another idea of what constituted Reasonable and Prudent, so the courts insisted a limit be set so it was.

I never tested this but I suspect the state police allow some leeway. The eastern part of the state is big and empty and for many a trip to the store is a two hour drive at speed. But take a sports car with out of state plates up there and watch out.

Hard to believe the suspension is wobbly. You sure the alignment's ok? N-rated tires? Tire pressures ok? My 03 Turbo at 168mph (I'm lying too) felt really stable.

Can't help you with the auto climate control. The auto climate in both of my car's doesn't do that.

TPMS batteries have a limited life. Generally anything past 4 years is a bonus. Service managers say to replace all 4 when the tires are renewed. 'course most owners balk at the money so they don't then they go bad and have to be done anyway but it costs more cause the tires are already mounted/balanced. Some have gone aftermarket but I have not heard of how these hold up.

My time with my Cayman S with its TPMS was too short but tire pressure on one side would go up from sunlight heating the tires.
Old 06-10-2013 | 03:29 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Igooz
Questions for RL:
+ Suspension very wobbly and being 100% stock I will need to upgrade…ideas?
+ I am definitely going to buy the HRE P40’s – I am just waiting to figure out the correct offset, etc. (Riley?)
+ I need to touch up some paint – go with Dr. Colorchip?
+ I explained what I can only call "dead pedal". Several times off the line I pressed the throttle and no response for about 1-2 sec! Anyone else?
+ It seems like my automatic climate control always defaults to 72F. So everytime I restarted the car, it would be at 72F instead of where I had it last. Is this normal?!
+ My TPMS gives me an error code when it is cold outside...I am guessing batteries? (these are the original TPMS on the car)
+ TPMS; why would pressure jump 5 lbs on one side only?
i've just noticed overall the TT susp is very "bouncy" i would say and gets moreso with age.. the shocks are hard to notice they are worn when off because with car off the PASM is stiff, and shocks very stiff...

p40's... i will pm you some info, but "Exact" sizing would depend on alignment and drop amount... easy to decipher

climate control is a setting in the sport chrono.. main page, then set... then individual settings.. then scroll around and it will say climate and "store"... set wht u want default. i do "LO" and 1 bar.. and click store...programs to key (key 1 or key 2)

sounds like TPMS are going, i bought a set from a company for $179 brand new and they work just fine, http://www.oewheelsllc.com/ only downside is at startup they take about 3-5 seconds to initially register... and they fluctuate slower when filling and emptying.. i assume the sensors just check half as often.. OEM are 400$ from tirerack, if you had a .2 i have a set :-/

btw on your map, draw a blue line from chicago to the end... could have saved you about 3200 miles. LOLOL
Old 06-10-2013 | 03:50 AM
choy
Track Day

What a dream run!
Old 06-10-2013 | 09:25 AM
bluecrab
Advanced

wow, great trip and great post

2 things

1) suspension is an easy fix. I too felt the same way about the OEM suspension. I kept reading about the GMG spring / sway combo and how good it was. In my mind I am stuck on the idea that springs only are bad and a cheap fix. BUT, I trusted GMG and others and I am glad I did. MIND = BLOWN at how much better the car rides and handles with this setup. It is less bouncy, stiffer (which by God it needed to be) and much more stable. An incredible improvement really, better in every single way. I drive on bad roads every day and the ride is better. I still wouldn't call the suspension stiff, but it is a perfect balance of firm and compliant. Sways set to soft up front and medium in back. DO IT

2) I notice you said that the 997tt is the best Porsche you ever had. One option for you is to trade your gt2 for my 997tt (already has GMG suspension!). I know, im a great guy for helping you out, you don't have to thank me

Good luck with the 997tt going forward, I LOVE mine too!
Old 06-10-2013 | 09:41 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Great write up! Thanks for posting. We do have some great roads in Wisconsin. You should come up for one of our all day Porsche club drives. I think you would enjoy it.
How did the gas prices compare from state to state. I just paid $ 4.42/gallon for premium at a Shell station in Milwaukee on Sunday.

Thats a nice route to Denver. What was your route back to chicago?
Also the first Sat of every month in Minneapolis the AutoMotorPlex has there Cars and coffee show. Its worth the road trip up there. http://automotorplex.com/mn-cc-recap-june-2013/

Last edited by fskof; 06-10-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2013 | 10:02 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone...I just wish that I had taken more pictures and stayed out for another 2 months! I'd like to get a trip going to the Northeast. next NY, MA, VT, NH, and into Canada!

Originally Posted by Porsche 25th
...IMHO you would be better off just having the nose re-sprayed. It shouldn't hurt the car value since it was not an accident.
Thank you! I will do some research before I do anything. Maybe I will just touch it up for now and wait...

Originally Posted by rijowysock
...p40's... i will pm you some info, but "Exact" sizing would depend on alignment and drop amount... easy to decipher

climate control is a setting in the sport chrono.. main page, then set... then individual settings.. then scroll around and it will say climate and "store"... set wht u want default. i do "LO" and 1 bar.. and click store...programs to key (key 1 or key 2)
Thank you very much Riley! I will be reading the PM this AM. And thanks on the climate control...

Originally Posted by Macster
...Hard to believe the suspension is wobbly. You sure the alignment's ok? N-rated tires? Tire pressures ok? My 03 Turbo at 168mph (I'm lying too) felt really stable...
I have not had the alignment checked but the rest is yes and ok. Of course, the "bad" roads deserve some of the blame too as our 2-laners are not exactly like an autobahn!

Originally Posted by bluecrab
...I notice you said that the 997tt is the best Porsche you ever had. One option for you is to trade your gt2 for my 997tt...
me kasa su kasa...
Old 06-10-2013 | 01:38 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Nice!! I just got back from a small road trip to Montreal (700 miles) for the F1 race. I absolutely LOVE this car!!

Heading to Michingan for PCA Parade in 2 weeks (1,600 miles).

BTW, I discovered this temporary paint protection for road trips that's sturdier than painter's tape and definitely not as noticeable - http://www.ezshieldpaintprotector.co...ector-p20.html
Old 06-10-2013 | 08:18 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Very cool. Every couple of years I drive down to Birmingham, Alabama for the porsche driving school, meet my brother from Houston. 2k round trip, did it three times in the old blue car. I also used the color chip thing on it, worked ok.
I just do a clear bra on the front bumper only anymore, works great, protects you 95% of the time.
C
Old 06-11-2013 | 12:12 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Nice write up. I like hearing about people that really drive their cars. I too have driven mine to Chicago, Georgia and Alabama via the Tail of the Dragon in Tn and NC. In the new Road and Track they identify great driving roads all over the country and included Wisconsin. Let me know when you come east and we will put together a nice run and show you around. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Bob in NY; 06-11-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-11-2013 | 01:00 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
Nice write up. I like hearing about people that really drive their cars. I too have driven mine to Chicago, Georgia and Alabama via the Tale of the Dragon in Tn and NC. In the new Road and Track they identify great driving roads all over the country and included Wisconsin. Let mek now when you come east and we will put together a nice run and show you around. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you and will do...and same to you! I think that you guys have some nice scenic roads up in the N. East, but you just have to catch them when the traffic is light. I have also heard that NY roads up towards Plattsburgh gets pretty interesting with light traffic and enforcement.

By the way, Cobalt blue is extremely rare and nice IMO...In fact that is the color I wanted to buy, but as a city car I needed to be able to "blend" more...

Quick Reply: 997TT and road trip...