Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch accumulator and/or slave issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 05:08 PM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch accumulator and/or slave issue?

I have another thread going on but wanted to start another to focus on this topic..

When starting the car, the clutch pedal is extremely hard to depress. This sounds like a common symptom of the accumulator failure.

However, when the car is running the clutch is extremely hard to depress only if I try to do it quickly. It's completely impossible to accelerate fast. If I try to shift quickly I get too much resistance and it feels like something is going to break.

I made the mistake of trying to accelerate hard today, and the clutch actually didn't fully engage when I shifted into 2nd. It sorta caught, then ran up to the redline ... Not sure if this could be the clutch going bad...if I shift normally and give it full throttle, there is no slipping.

Lastly, If I depress the clutch pedal slowly, it's feather light.

Does this sound like it could be caused by bad slave/accumulator? Or is there something else I should think about before I bring it to a shop?
Old 06-09-2013, 05:57 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sound like the slave accumulator. They share the power steering reservoir to an extent, sometimes fluid can leak from there making pedal action harder.
GL.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:39 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by roybotnik
I made the mistake of trying to accelerate hard today, and the clutch actually didn't fully engage when I shifted into 2nd. It sorta caught, then ran up to the redline
Your first overrev ?
Anyway, do not understand why you would want to do that when you know your clutch has a problem.

Does this sound like it could be caused by bad slave/accumulator?
Yes , looks like leaking/defect diaphragm
http://rennsportkc.com/996997tt-clutch-accumulator/

Or is there something else I should think about before I bring it to a shop?
Don't think so.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:09 PM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
Your first overrev ?
Anyway, do not understand why you would want to do that when you know your clutch has a problem.
I let off once I saw the tach rising like that. Guess I just got carried away, I did just get the car a day or two ago. Now it's going to wait in the garage though until I can take it in next week.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:53 AM
choy
Track Day

Had the same concern, more often than not it is the accumulator, but during replacement it may be better to replace the slave cylinder as well as replacement usually goes hand in hand. do keep us posted
Old 06-10-2013, 09:28 AM
bluecrab
Advanced

Originally Posted by choy
Had the same concern, more often than not it is the accumulator, but during replacement it may be better to replace the slave cylinder as well as replacement usually goes hand in hand. do keep us posted
boom

this is exactly what happened to me, and I am replacing both

same symptom, pedal hard to depress when the car is cold prior to starting.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:42 PM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Hoping to take it in tomorrow, I have some new tires on the way and they should be here tomorrow or wednesday. Do you guys know how many hours of labor an indy shop should charge for replacement of the slave and accumulator?

I think I will need both... clutch pedal feels sort of 'gritty' and makes a noise during depression. The only weird part is that I'm not leaking any fluid, which seems to be the usual indicator of a failed slave cylinder...
Old 06-11-2013, 12:00 AM
bluecrab
Advanced

Hoping to take it in tomorrow, I have some new tires on the way and they should be here tomorrow or wednesday. Do you guys know how many hours of labor an indy shop should charge for replacement of the slave and accumulator?

I think I will need both... clutch pedal feels sort of 'gritty' and makes a noise during depression. The only weird part is that I'm not leaking any fluid, which seems to be the usual indicator of a failed slave cylinder...
My shop quoted 850 for the whole job. Both Parts included.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:55 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Dealer both installed 1200$.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:00 AM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Great, thanks for the info. Just wanna make sure this shop doesn't come up with some crazy number.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

Great, thanks for the info. Just wanna make sure this shop doesn't come up with some crazy number.
Do you have a really good competent and trusting technician to help you with the TT stuff? If not, maybe your local PCA club president or one of the guys here can point you to the right/good shop...this makes all the difference in the world...
Old 06-11-2013, 03:31 PM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

I'm taking it to IMA motorsport in VA. They seem reputable, they have relatively good reviews online and specialize in Porsches. They have a machine shop and do some custom fabrication too. We'll see how it goes *fingers crossed*. There are a couple of other shops in the area if this one doesn't work out.

Quick Reply: Clutch accumulator and/or slave issue?