Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a 997TT on ebay...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013 | 01:10 AM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Default Looking at a 997TT on ebay...

I recently got bit by the Porsche bug and after investigating all that's out there, I really want to go all out (for my budget, at least) and get an 997TT. I'm probably looking to spend ~70k and the car will mainly be for driving around town. I don't commute and don't really have/need a 'daily driver'.

I'm quite interested in this car...although the listing is light on details and I live on the wrong coast.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...#ht_500wt_1182.

I love the color combo, I'm looking for a cabriolet, and I think I'll probably prefer the tiptronic... I currently have a manual crazy modified 2011 Mustang GT, so I'm kinda over rowing my own gears for the time being.

How long did you wait for the car you wanted? I want one basically just like this listing...but its for sale across the country by someone with 0 feedback and an inaccurate listing.
Old 05-26-2013 | 09:17 AM
CT944
Drifting

Car looks great and seems to have a clean history. You have to go see it in person and drive it to be 100% sure, plus that color may be different in person and would be good to see it for yourself.
Old 05-26-2013 | 10:57 AM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Definitely, although 3 days left in the auction there's no way I'm gonna make it out to CA to see it. I bought an E55 AMG on ebay once sight unseen and loved it, but looking back I got pretty luck that it wasn't a POS. Realistically though, when you're talking about higher-end vehicles, the number that has been abused is probably to be a very small minority.

I remember hearing about some out-of-state car inspection service at some point years ago... Anyone heard of anything of the sort? Thanks.
Old 05-26-2013 | 11:15 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Looks interesting although the seller has no idea how to shoot cars. There are very few interior shots to show the seats, any factory options he keeps talking about etc... And the car will be equipment with a Tiptronic auto trans, not a PDK. The PDK was released with the Gen 2 997 TT. Not to say its a bad car but my confidence in the dealer is a bit low. On the other hand, maybe he just knows Corvettes and this could be a steal.

The only options I can see are:
- yellow guages. Sport Chrono?
- leather coin box cover with crest
- multi-function steering wheel in alcantara
- Speed Yellow seat belts

There are no Adaptive Sport Seats - these have the plastic back to them - I feel is a must for this car. During any spirited driving on some twisities you will be rolling out of these regular Sport Seats.

The one rim shot looks clean.

Bottom line? This is a nicely, albeit minimally, optioned TT. Contact the owner and get some complete photos and an independent inspection. These are wickedly fast cars and guys do on occasion plow them into things. Often an owner of this league of car can have the money to personally pay for repairs and keep the accident off of the Carfax radar.

Have fun with your hunt! We love these cars and will follow your travels with great interest. And what a great trip it would be to fly out, buy it, and drive it back like you stole it! Giddy-up! Thanks for posting.

P.s. Don't worry about the auction. It may not sell as the bidding is no where near to the asking price. If it sells, then on to the next!
Old 05-26-2013 | 11:40 AM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Indeed, I think the seller must not have much familiarity with Porsches. They also have 0 feedback on Ebay, but I'm not too concerned about that - looked the dealership up online and it's one of those mega-auto-malls that operates dealerships for several brands.

I contacted them about the lack of seat pics and they responded very quickly with several pictures. The seats are in great shape although I'm guessing they are the base seats. Coming from a Mustang with racing suspension though, I think I will survive....the seats in the Mustang are beyond worthless - less supportive than the seats in my CR-V any day.

Old 05-26-2013 | 12:00 PM
atcbi5
Banned

no sport chrono, look at third picture. Tops 60K
Old 05-26-2013 | 12:15 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Yes - you are right - for some reason, no Sport Chrono. I actually use mine a lot, turning off the stiffer suspension setting and just having the faster throttle response. I know in the 997 C2S sport setting, sans the dash wort, can be added after. Not sure if it works for the TT as well.

Nice Crests in Sport seats. I actually like this option. Subtly dresses the car up a bit.
Old 05-26-2013 | 12:18 PM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Sounds like I need to do a little more research on the options that were available on these cars new. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 05-26-2013 | 12:32 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atcbi5
no sport chrono, look at third picture. Tops 60K
I wouldn't let the lack of SC kill the deal if the car is what you're looking for. You can add the SC functionality (without the chromo "wart") at a later date.
Old 05-26-2013 | 12:34 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

they price is very low.

and as stated it is tiptronic. Not PDK.

Seller knows very little i suspect.
Old 05-26-2013 | 02:07 PM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Yea, it sounds like I can add the SC software if I desire. The little chronograph would be neat, but doesn't seem like a deal breaker at all . This car seems like a good price given the mileage and the fact that it's the color combo I want.

I think I'm going to pay for a carchex inspection - anyone ever used this before? They send a mechanic out to test drive and inspect the vehicle for you.

I suppose I could also see if anyone is up for a rennfax
Old 05-26-2013 | 02:45 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roybotnik
Yea, it sounds like I can add the SC software if I desire. The little chronograph would be neat, but doesn't seem like a deal breaker at all . This car seems like a good price given the mileage and the fact that it's the color combo I want.

I think I'm going to pay for a carchex inspection - anyone ever used this before? They send a mechanic out to test drive and inspect the vehicle for you.

I suppose I could also see if anyone is up for a rennfax
in the RS world we look for cars without sport chrono....

If this is the color you want, it is that rare that you will be hard pressed to find another like it.
Id fly out to the car and inspect and if it is good, drive it home.
Old 05-26-2013 | 07:13 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

tcsracing SC in the turbo cars adds functionality - overboost. In the n/a engines it doesnt (although it remaps the throttle which is fun)...
This is a functionality you want in a turbo...
Also semi electric sports seats (black) are available on ebay for ok money. Get a good deal on the car, and spend some cash for extras like a new exhaust (desperately required) and sport seats.
Old 05-27-2013 | 12:07 AM
Goldstar
Racer

Really unique looking car, fair price and if doesn't sell you may be able to negotiate a bit.
I'd ask for some pics of drivers seat and side bolsters.
Great color combo. It's worth perusing, need to get rid of the tacky "08" sticker on the windshield.
Old 05-28-2013 | 02:01 PM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Car must have sold locally, seller took it down on ebay.

My fault for not getting things sorted quick enough. Was looking at this car last week, but wasn't really serious about it until too late!

Quick Reply: Looking at a 997TT on ebay...