Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best model year for a manual transmission Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 12:59 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
You asked for 'best MY' so ...
Anyway , there is nothing wrong with the DI's. But a Porsche without a Mezger is just not the same. It's all in the head you know

When I look under the rear of my car and I see that familiar engine block it shouts 'Porsche'. I have been seeing that same look since my first Porsche and it is a big part of the overall Porsche experience.
It's hard to describe and I can imagine first time Porsche owners thinking 'what is he talking about' but I have had 911's for over 27 years now and have worked on all of them myself. The mezger is a 911 and a 911 is a mezger, it's as simple as that.

Same here.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:38 PM
12iceman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You asked for 'best MY' so ...
Anyway , there is nothing wrong with the DI's. But a Porsche without a Mezger is just not the same. It's all in the head you know

When I look under the rear of my car and I see that familiar engine block it shouts 'Porsche'. I have been seeing that same look since my first Porsche and it is a big part of the overall Porsche experience.
It's hard to describe and I can imagine first time Porsche owners thinking 'what is he talking about' but I have had 911's for over 27 years now and have worked on all of them myself. The mezger is a 911 and a 911 is a mezger, it's as simple as that.
Didn't a large number of people use to say the same thing in regards to air cooling vs. water cooling (and some still do)? I was curious if anyone thought the advantages of the new DFI engine (more HP, better MPG, other platform improvements) were worth the change away from the Mezger engine, but it sounds like the answer is a resounding no so far.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:08 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Who cares what a large number of people think (or used to think).
When it comes to buying a Porsche it is about personal satisfaction and enjoyment. My enjoyment (today) is bigger with a 997/1.
It is not rational and it doesn't need to be. If rationality is a factor we shouldn't be buying 911's anyway.

If I read you correct you prefer the 997/2, that is perfectly fine ! I think that car is as much 'turbo' as mine.
If you feel drawn to it than follow that. It is a great car and the DFI motor has already proven to be a-ok !
Old 05-07-2013, 05:23 PM
12iceman
Intermediate

Who cares what a large number of people think (or used to think).
When it comes to buying a Porsche it is about personal satisfaction and enjoyment. My enjoyment (today) is bigger with a 997/1.
It is not rational and it doesn't need to be. If rationality is a factor we shouldn't be buying 911's anyway.

If I read you correct you prefer the 997/2, that is perfectly fine ! I think that car is as much 'turbo' as mine.
If you feel drawn to it than follow that. It is a great car and the DFI motor has already proven to be a-ok !
I was seeking the opinions of others because I wanted to do some research to find out the pro's and con's of the various model years. Since I have not personally driven all the different variations of the 911, it is hard to know which would be most enjoyable for me. It is interesting to hear your perspective. Before this thread I was also favoring an '09 997.1 Turbo for the reasons I mentioned it my first post. You do make a very good point that the best way to decide would be to drive both when I am ready to think about upgrading.

Last edited by 12iceman; 05-07-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:47 AM
brannonspillars
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I agree, 2009 manual 997 turbo with LSD will be ideal, and I have one. As far as being a problem if it has high miles, all I have to say is I've thoroughly enjoyed every mile of the 50,000 miles I've driven mine since buying it new, and plan on adding many many more miles. I think my turbo has the most miles of any 2009 on Rennlist. As far as the wisdom of putting so many miles on such a spectacular car, I have to say you only live once, why not enjoy a car by driving it since depreciation is always a given? Also, what ELSE would you rather drive? For those of you who own Turbos but keep them in the garage, I'll see you in my rearview...
Old 05-12-2013, 12:05 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I put 70k on my first 997tt, didn't blink.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:45 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

It's an excellent car I will always keep! 07 TT 6speed GT Silver the only color for a Porsche.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
It's an excellent car I will always keep! 07 TT 6speed GT Silver the only color for a Porsche.
Except for Arctic Silver.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:21 PM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atcbi5
I agree - best year and color !!

In regards to the PCM, you can (relatively) easily add an aftermarket HU which took care of the lame one in my car - my Alpine really updates the look and is practical - BT audio, Sirius, hands free, good nav etc.

Does anyone know how many TT were made in 07-09? Just curious
Old 05-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by 12iceman
I was seeking the opinions of others because I wanted to do some research to find out the pro's and con's of the various model years. Since I have not personally driven all the different variations of the 911, it is hard to know which would be most enjoyable for me. It is interesting to hear your perspective. Before this thread I was also favoring an '09 997.1 Turbo for the reasons I mentioned it my first post. You do make a very good point that the best way to decide would be to drive both when I am ready to think about upgrading.
And you know Iceman? You're already driving a KILLER C2S with that wailin' M97 engine and all of it's moving parts the new DFI doesn't have. I had the identical car before my TT and loved it. The TT decision for me wasn't so much a step up in power and 4WD but the convertable and the nice wide rear. Like Phillip mentioned, it's emotional. Would I drive a DFI TT? You bet. Absolutely. Have I grown to LOVE my Mezger TT with it's chain-rattlin' rumble? Absoltuely. In the end we all need 10 car garages with a hoist at one end. That would solve all of these 'first-world' problems we're havin'!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:40 PM
12iceman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zeus993
And you know Iceman? You're already driving a KILLER C2S with that wailin' M97 engine and all of it's moving parts the new DFI doesn't have. I had the identical car before my TT and loved it. The TT decision for me wasn't so much a step up in power and 4WD but the convertable and the nice wide rear. Like Phillip mentioned, it's emotional. Would I drive a DFI TT? You bet. Absolutely. Have I grown to LOVE my Mezger TT with it's chain-rattlin' rumble? Absoltuely. In the end we all need 10 car garages with a hoist at one end. That would solve all of these 'first-world' problems we're havin'!
Good point! All of this news about the changes to the 991 model line up had just got me thinking about future possibilities. At some point, I'd like to own a 911 Turbo and the odds are good it will be a 997.

In the mean time, I'll just keep enjoying my C2S.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:43 AM
SMB
Intermediate

Gents - I have been following this forum off and on over the past 5+ years - enjoying hearing what Porsche motor heads think about, but not too serious about a 911 until recently. Have raised 5 kids, with the youngest twins just turning 20 and entering their junior year at Colorado St. U. In Fort Collins, with eldest now 30. My wife and I are empty nesters after raising kids for 30 years. Over the past 12 years I have owned Audi S4, BMW E39 M5, Dinan 335i, BMW E90 M3 which all have room for 4 or 5. Last year I agonized over what 911 to but - it had to be relatively affordable (ha), more powerful, manual tranny, reliable, fun, and something that would capture my imagination. After a few months of research and consideration, I settled on a 2008 997.1 turbo, with 6 speed, sport chrono, 18k miles, superb PPI, rear axle locking diff. Hard to imagine beating that choice if you are an enthusiast, Motörhead.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:06 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 279 Posts

Welcome SMB! Great choice on the car with the 6spd and option 220! CO is a great place to enjoy the 997TT and is Porsche active!
Old 05-19-2013, 01:37 PM
SMB
Intermediate

Thanks Igooz - those NA cars don't like the thin air at tree line too much - the tt doesn't notice
Old 05-19-2013, 02:27 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Good choice SMB, no make that great choice , a classic in the making. But ... I do not believe you as you posted not one single pic ;-)

Quick Reply: Best model year for a manual transmission Turbo?