Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question and price opinion.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013 | 10:41 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Default Question and price opinion.

07 TT Mint condition, well maintained, heavy option, Tiptronic, sub 10k miles. I would own for high 70's. Is that way off base for a 07 Tip ?
Before any Tip hater's blast me, I've owned a 03 TT 6-spd, and really didn't enjoy the quick 1st gear shifting on launch, so it took awhile to get that figured out..then I sold it.
I'm 47, don't track, and go out on Sunday drives with the club and occasionally drive a Porsche to work. I'm thinking a Tip may be perfect for me.
Any feedback is appreciated, negative or positive.

Jason
Old 04-25-2013 | 11:04 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

That's a good price. I paid 82 for a pristine 3k mile 6mt car. I dd drive in the city and sometimes a tip would be nice.
Btw, I grew up in your neck of the woods, go chiefs go royals.
Old 04-25-2013 | 11:06 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

thats not bad for that mileage.. .. my question would be why so few miles and i would be weary honestly about "lack of use" as more items fail from lack of use than over use.
Old 04-26-2013 | 12:52 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

very very good price!
Old 04-26-2013 | 03:58 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

it ain't old enough to have low mile problems
Old 04-26-2013 | 08:35 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rijowysock
as more items fail from lack of use than over use.
Sorry but that is a fairy tale. A car that is used ages much much more than one that is just standing.

I just bought a 30 year old Fiat with 1300 km. It is still brand new.

I have an Esprit from 2004 with 2800 miles. Brand new !!

I recently sold a 993 that I did not use at all, a pretty car and great to look at but did not enjoy driving it. The flex, creaks and rattles bothered me enough to just let it sit. After 6 years and 100 km I sold it. The new owner did not have one single thing go wrong with the car since he bought it.
That car was maybe started like 2 times in all those years.

If they are stored in the dark with fresh oil and still maintained regularly (every couple of years if you don't drive) you can't get any better.

There is a reason 993's or 964's with ultra low miles command a huge
premium.

OP : good price ! Go for it I would say. A tip turbo is the next best thing to a MT turbo. It is a good transmission and it is faster than the manual.
Old 04-26-2013 | 10:01 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
Sorry but that is a fairy tale. A car that is used ages much much more than one that is just standing.

I just bought a 30 year old Fiat with 1300 km. It is still brand new.

I have an Esprit from 2004 with 2800 miles. Brand new !!

I recently sold a 993 that I did not use at all, a pretty car and great to look at but did not enjoy driving it. The flex, creaks and rattles bothered me enough to just let it sit. After 6 years and 100 km I sold it. The new owner did not have one single thing go wrong with the car since he bought it.
That car was maybe started like 2 times in all those years.

If they are stored in the dark with fresh oil and still maintained regularly (every couple of years if you don't drive) you can't get any better.

There is a reason 993's or 964's with ultra low miles command a huge
premium.

OP : good price ! Go for it I would say. A tip turbo is the next best thing to a MT turbo. It is a good transmission and it is faster than the manual.
The above in bold is key, they have to be maintained properly if the car sits unused for extended periods. I've read that belts, gaskets, bushings etc can dry out and crack in cars that go unused for long periods of time.
Old 04-26-2013 | 10:14 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pewter82
07 TT Mint condition, well maintained, heavy option, Tiptronic, sub 10k miles. I would own for high 70's. Is that way off base for a 07 Tip ?...Jason
Jason,
That is a good retail price if it passes all the inspections, no accidents, tires/brakes/...are good, and specially if it has full CPO. Can you negotiate for the CPO? Can you get them down to mid 70's, that would be a great price.

As the local "car nut" let me share 2 recent deals where I "advised" my friends:
+'08TT convertible/6speed MT with optional hardtop, the MSRP was $130K'sh and he paid $83K no warranty. Purchased in St. Louis from an exotic car dealer
+'07TT Coupe/Tip fully loaded, the MSRP was $158k'sh with 13K miles and CPO bought from Ohio Porsche dealer in Feb for $82K or $83K?

I own the same car as you are buying. I am OK with Tip for my application. Sounds like you have done the TT manual thing already...

Hope this helps...
Old 04-26-2013 | 10:40 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aa909
I've read that belts, gaskets, bushings etc can dry out and crack in cars that go unused for long periods of time.
Don't want to hijack but if I may.

Every rubber material has a life (like everything else really) , that life is not prolonged by using the rubber. In fact , keep rubber (a belt for example) in a dark cool room and it will be 'like new' for a very long time.
The same belt exposed to UV light, warm and cold cycles will deteriorate much much quicker.

Is a 15 year old unused car as good as a newly produced one ?
Of course not , things age , they always do.
But compare that 15 year old unused one to a used specimen and you'll be wanting to own the unused one.

So when some say ' a car that sits goes bad' I agree but at a much slower rate than the one that is used. So slow that after 20 years well made cars (like Porsche ?) still feel, smell and drive like a new car.
A major check up with all new fluids , new shocks (maybe, if necessary), new tires and you can enjoy a time warp new car.

I am 18 again with my new hot hatch from the eighties. lol
http://imageshack.us/f/687/sidesized.jpg/
Old 04-26-2013 | 12:49 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Originally Posted by Igooz
Jason,
That is a good retail price if it passes all the inspections, no accidents, tires/brakes/...are good, and specially if it has full CPO. Can you negotiate for the CPO? Can you get them down to mid 70's, that would be a great price.

As the local "car nut" let me share 2 recent deals where I "advised" my friends:
+'08TT convertible/6speed MT with optional hardtop, the MSRP was $130K'sh and he paid $83K no warranty. Purchased in St. Louis from an exotic car dealer
+'07TT Coupe/Tip fully loaded, the MSRP was $158k'sh with 13K miles and CPO bought from Ohio Porsche dealer in Feb for $82K or $83K?

I own the same car as you are buying. I am OK with Tip for my application. Sounds like you have done the TT manual thing already...

Hope this helps...
The car is at the STL dealer you referred to. 07 GT Silver, after my 2 trades , the offer they made would put me at 78k to finance. Also considering a GT3 they could find for me...decisions
No CPO available from them
Old 04-26-2013 | 12:53 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
Don't want to hijack but if I may.

Every rubber material has a life (like everything else really) , that life is not prolonged by using the rubber. In fact , keep rubber (a belt for example) in a dark cool room and it will be 'like new' for a very long time.
The same belt exposed to UV light, warm and cold cycles will deteriorate much much quicker.

Is a 15 year old unused car as good as a newly produced one ?
Of course not , things age , they always do.
But compare that 15 year old unused one to a used specimen and you'll be wanting to own the unused one.

So when some say ' a car that sits goes bad' I agree but at a much slower rate than the one that is used. So slow that after 20 years well made cars (like Porsche ?) still feel, smell and drive like a new car.
A major check up with all new fluids , new shocks (maybe, if necessary), new tires and you can enjoy a time warp new car.

I am 18 again with my new hot hatch from the eighties. lol
http://imageshack.us/f/687/sidesized.jpg/
I concur, nothing wrong with 9k miles every 6 years.
Old 04-26-2013 | 02:04 PM
pewter82
Drifting

The one I'm speaking about has 6300 miles. Its had the brake fluid flush, but I doubt the plugs changed yet. And most likely original tires from late 2006.
Old 04-26-2013 | 02:05 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

...Also considering a GT3 they could find for me...
Sounds like a good deal specially if you have trades and this deal will get you out of the "hassle" of selling cars... I love my Tip and have no issues, and I do get beat up for driving an "automatic"...That's OK...I have plenty of hair on my chest!

Just get your car properly inspected, and add up the $ if there are wear items. This friend of mine had the Porsche inspected at Parktown Imports in Kirkwood, MO by a Dale Robbins. I read the report and seemed thorough. (I am not buying/selling and don't know that part of the world or the dealers. If you need to know more, please PM me and I will help if I can.)

IMHO: As far as GT3 - my only advice would be that you need to spend some serious time test driving the car and get used to the clutch, stiff(er) suspension, noises, ... before you buy. I have never owned a GT3, but they are more tuned on the "enthusiastic" side than the commuter side...I have seen this movie before...

GOOD LUCK.
Old 04-26-2013 | 02:10 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

...And most likely original tires from late 2006.
Tires you need to change or they need to credit you $1500'sh...'06 dated tires are too old and specially if you do any enthusiastic driving...which you will!

I can't speak on the plugs, my '07 TT has 38K miles and I have had it the whole time and I have not changed the plugs yet, but 4th set of tires...My '08 GT2 with 7'shK miles I am on my 4th set of rear tires and 3rd. front and changed the plugs....
Old 04-26-2013 | 03:43 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Be wary of used GT3s, they are one of the most heavily tracked cars around, any hint of track use I would pass. Keep in mind the Cup cars use the same exact engine and they are rated for 120 hrs before rebuild.

Quick Reply: Question and price opinion.