Sponsored by:

Check engine oil message when oil shows full

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 12:35 PM
twct
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine oil message when oil shows full

I currenly have a 2010 tt and get the check oil message about 1 out of every 10 times I take the car out. Every time I do the check it shows as full. I'm not doing anything unusual when the message comes up, usually just on my way to work.

I've only had the car for about 2k miles and so far it hasn't burned a drop of oil (according to the electronic gauge). Now the paranoid part of me wonders if there could be something wrong with the gauge and it's showing full when it's really not (especially since I get the warning messages fairly regularly). My 2007 tt (different engine of course) burned at least a liter every 1k miles and whenever I got the same message I definitely needed to add a liter.

I assume that the only thing to do is to empty the oil and measure how much comes out but I was wondering if anyone has seen anything similar? Do the DFI engines tend to burn less oil?

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:56 PM
mm450exc
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have the dealer check it out.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:47 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think u have an issue w the oil level sensor, my panamera did the same thing.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by twct
I currenly have a 2010 tt and get the check oil message about 1 out of every 10 times I take the car out. Every time I do the check it shows as full. I'm not doing anything unusual when the message comes up, usually just on my way to work.

I've only had the car for about 2k miles and so far it hasn't burned a drop of oil (according to the electronic gauge). Now the paranoid part of me wonders if there could be something wrong with the gauge and it's showing full when it's really not (especially since I get the warning messages fairly regularly). My 2007 tt (different engine of course) burned at least a liter every 1k miles and whenever I got the same message I definitely needed to add a liter.

I assume that the only thing to do is to empty the oil and measure how much comes out but I was wondering if anyone has seen anything similar? Do the DFI engines tend to burn less oil?

Thanks!
Part of a test/check for proper oil e-level operation is to with the engine at temp (70C or 80C the factory manual calls this out) drain the oil for one hour, or even overnight. Believe it or not there are at least 2 refill quantities given for the DFI engines: One based on a one hour drain, one based on an overnight (12 hour) drain.

Then add the specified amount of oil. At the dealer the oil despensing gun reads out in one hundredths of a liter.

The exact amount of oil to be added is tied to the car's VIN and may not be what is in the owners manual, may not even be what a previous or following model year engine requires.

Then with a known correct amount of oil is in the engine, the engine oil level is read. It should read exactly what the call out is in the factory manual. (In the case of my Turbo 7.8l (8.25qts) of oil is added to the engine and the oil e-level reading should be on the max. line. Not above or below the max line.)

Given the warning has come on several times over the last 2000 miles and the engine still appears to be healthy I think getting the car to a dealer for this, the problem is likely to be with the oil level sensor, is a good idea.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:29 AM
twct
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for the feedback. Hopefully the erroneous message is the random check oil level rather than the full reading! Good to hear that there's an established process to test the e-level operation. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Check engine oil message when oil shows full