The best exhaust for a 2007 997 TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 05:59 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
The EP was a little too loud on cold start up
That is one of the things I really love about the EP. Since I have it I open my window before I start. Starting up in my garage is just incredible. Love it.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:51 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went back to the Fvd tuv quiet 88db exhaust. The EP was a little too loud on cold start up, plus I got tagged at lime rock (twice) for being too loud at wot on the front straight. Driving 2 hrs to the track then getting dinged in two separate outings....off it came. The guy I sold it too has since taken it off as well bc he wanted a catless setup. The EP is a high quality piece, but so are others.
All of these exhausts are grossly overpriced.
The Porsche tax deluxe.
All of the sellers should wear ski masks IMO.
I had 6 different exhausts on my old car, the top three, in no particular order; EP, tubi dual can and Fvd tuv.
GL on your hunt. Don't be dogmatic, there are many good ones out these days.
C
I would most certainly be "dogmatic" especially given the fact most of these systems are so similarly priced yet in reality there are real differences which set one brand apart from the other, even as being reasonably priced. Buying a system is a minefield and there is a lot of BS that has to be waded through to.

Chris, just to clear this point up, but not to over emphasis it, your main reason for going back to the FVD 88db exhaust was so to be able to maintain tracking your car at Lime Rock race track correct? I am also aware you have tried numerous systems on you car yet have not elaborated the reasons behind why they were all removed. I believe some here would be interested to hear those reasons. Also, whether you had made any performance determinations using the stock tune file. Any details appreciated.

Re your comment that there are "many quality systems available". I'm not convinced at all with that remark....

Being closely associated with many automotive component manufacturers and also having engineering expertise i feel you are being far too simplistic with that remark. Anyone seeking knowledge on RL about exhausts for the purpose of determining actual differences and values is basically being led to believe there are no real differences of any significance worthy of worrying about. This in fact could not be further than the truth!!

With all due respect it really depends on what you consider as being quality or of "higher quality" and, whether you are actually qualified in being able to make such evaluation/determination (in an engineering sense). No offence Chris, but to even suggest a tubi dual can would offer equal performance, least of all match the general build quality of a Europipe system is absurd to say the least. In fact, the Europipe just in a physical sense would make the Tubi look like it should be thrown straight into the garbage bin. And yes i have physically seen a Tubi dual can (sorry Tom)....no comparison, and it is plain wrong to even compare these two systems on the same planet beyond the fact they both fit the car.

My experience during my lengthy tenure in the automotive industry has shown that all products which claim to be of quality or of a "higher quality" than the next manufacturers offering is always determinable by making certain evaluations, i.e. construction, materials used, product design (in conjunction with adequate research and development), product performance and, then there is finally the visual presentation of the finished product... although that said, visual presentation of the goods can be very misleading in certain instances. Exhausts would most certainly be one of them and i use agency shower as a classic example where glittering a product along with dyno graphs can create confusion for the layman. Smoke and mirrors has become a tool of trade for some.

Then, there is also the installation process which determines the actual degree of difficulty or minor/major adjustments that are required (not applicable where one uses an Indy shop as they never really get to know about these things). These factors are often overlooked by the purchaser who has been lucky enough to have been excluded from the procedure.

Then, there is also "actual" performance gained versus performance "claimed" in the marketing hype. And finally, the ability for the system to deliver a tangible difference in performance to the driver without a tune added....or the need of a dyno chart to convince one that they actually went forward when in essence the butt dyno says you actually went backwards.

The above are all determining factors which define a system as actually being better than the next...and/or whether a system is indeed of quality or of same/similar/higher/less quality as the next offering etc.

So, to generalize and say "there are many quality systems out there" "don't be too dogmatic etc" is certainly not what i would consider as sound advice because it excludes all the details defining the actual differences (and yes there are ALWAYS differences) particularly when comparing prices which you also candidly and generally state are "all overpriced". Value is also an important factor and often overlooked or confused along the path of the purchasing process. Its funny how all of us get easily get hung up in the price in a bid of saving a few bucks without really knowing what we have missed out on. Hindsight is a wonderful thing lol.

I would agree many of the systems are way overpriced yet in saying that, others in comparison are in fact absolute bargains even at higher dollars (actually not that much more really)....need i say more?

There are certainly tangible differences that set one system apart form the next....no question.

To summarize:
From my close observations, the Europipe and Akrapovic systems set a standard the others have clearly yet to match....some unfortunately more so than others. Any layperson should be able to see these differences (if given the chance) in not only a visual design and manufacturing standard sense, but also in the area of actual performance (without the need for any "tune bandaids"), notwithstanding these two possess precise installation and a general design applicable to a marque such as a 911 turbo ....and, one that an official dealer would recognize as being worthy of their recognition.

Not saying everyone should only buy these two systems.....but to say any of the others are of identical standard in every facet would be incorrect imho.

And when you compare value for dollar.....it's all there in comparison.

Last edited by speed21; 04-04-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:54 AM
Leo997TT
Banned

Originally Posted by phillipj
Leo,

Just get an exhaust of your choice (not going to get involved with this debate again)get a good tune to go with it. Then you will be good to go. Softronic and Protomotive are loaded by fllash cable and a laptop. That way you keep your stock file in case you ever need it. Also Protomotive gives you free revisions in case you add more mods or want to run race gas. Softronic does not..

This is my next step!!! Thank you for the tip!
Old 04-04-2013, 04:48 AM
Leo997TT
Banned

Default Softronic

Hey guys,

quick question, would i lose my CPO warranty if i flash my car with Softronic?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:50 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Leo997TT
Hey guys,

quick question, would i lose my CPO warranty if i flash my car with Softronic?
If you have an engine or drive line problem and they find you've had a tune you can count on it.

Actually, lets be honest with ourselves here. If i or you were a P car dealer and had a customer making a claim for warranty after sighting the car with a babaspeed air intake, soft tune and baba exhaust, the finger would point straight towards the door.

Last edited by speed21; 04-04-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Leo997TT
Banned

Originally Posted by speed21
If you have an engine or drive line problem and they find you've had a tune you can count on it.

Actually, lets be honest with ourselves here. If i or you were a P car dealer and had a customer making a claim for warranty after sighting the car with a babaspeed air intake, soft tune and baba exhaust, the finger would point straight towards the door.
I already toke the Air filter off the car.... Today is 90• in Miami so that filter can't do any good for my car. I have the fabspeed version 2 exhaust and I'm planning to tune the car but I don't wanna lose the warranty. I'm also planing in changing the intercooler for the GT2 RS (but that won't void the warranty, I already talk to the dealer)
Old 04-04-2013, 02:05 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, the EP was too loud at LRP.
I'll throw up a comparison of all the exhausts one day (I thought I did?).
To sum it up, I'd stick with all european parts.
Given the current market, that leaves EP, FVD (made by MM), akropovik(sp), and supersprint.
Currently, akropovik is used by porsche on the gt2, MM is used by porsche motorsports for rsr, grandam. Not sure about supersprint, but EP is very hi quality, just expensive.
If I was going to do anything, it would be the 88db tuv fvd.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Supersprint-Evolve
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the EP was too loud at LRP.
I'll throw up a comparison of all the exhausts one day (I thought I did?).
To sum it up, I'd stick with all european parts.
Given the current market, that leaves EP, FVD (made by MM), akropovik(sp), and supersprint.
Currently, akropovik is used by porsche on the gt2, MM is used by porsche motorsports for rsr, grandam. Not sure about supersprint, but EP is very hi quality, just expensive.
If I was going to do anything, it would be the 88db tuv fvd.
The Supersprint systems are incredibly high quality, certainly something to consider given our pricing on the Porsche range is currently on offer.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:19 AM
Gostang
2nd Gear

I changed my oem exhaust to millteks recently. While sound is better n more tolerable, resonance still noticeable at highway cruising speeds. Best solution so far is a pair of Sony noise cancelling ear phones. Now I can enjoy great music sans engine drone and road noise. It works even even without music and the earplugs are not uncomfortable for long journeys. The only problem is speed creep.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:36 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gostang
I changed my oem exhaust to millteks recently. While sound is better n more tolerable, resonance still noticeable at highway cruising speeds. Best solution so far is a pair of Sony noise cancelling ear phones. Now I can enjoy great music sans engine drone and road noise. It works even even without music and the earplugs are not uncomfortable for long journeys. The only problem is speed creep.
Lol this has got to be a first. Doesn't the noise canceling ear phones defeat the purpose of installing an aftermarket exhaust? I thought the whole point was to hear the rumble of the exhaust, granted without the drone
Old 04-28-2013, 07:12 AM
Gostang
2nd Gear

I like the rumble and frenetic rush to WOT, but not the drone, especially on highway journeys longer than 1 hr, which I do every other day. The earplugs come in very handy then.

Quick Reply: The best exhaust for a 2007 997 TT