Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The best exhaust for a 2007 997 TT

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 06:48 PM
Leo997TT
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just read this in another Forum and they talked about the loss of torque...

"Yes note the question mark - be very leery of any tuner that mentions night-and-day improvement in power with just an exhaust. It's a fantasy and a bad sales pitch. I know there have been dyno's showing gain of such and such, basically from a more free breathing catalytic converter (stock 600 cpsi cell density, most after-market 200), but in reality what most people feel is simply a faster spooling up. The tach needle *seems* to go up faster, and that's about it. There are actually some anecdotal reports that one could feel a loss of torque in the low range by just adding an exhaust system. I don't know whether this is true, or if it is consequence of seeing that tach needle moving up quickly.
If you want power, get an exhaust AND an ECU tune. Exhaust alone won't do anything worth mentioning, and in fact may cause a sense of torque loss -- see below. Any rave about power gain is more often than not unproven with dyno and more likely in someone's head, IMHO"
Old 04-01-2013, 05:47 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Leo,

Just get an exhaust of your choice (not going to get involved with this debate again)get a good tune to go with it. Then you will be good to go. Softronic and Protomotive are loaded by fllash cable and a laptop. That way you keep your stock file in case you ever need it. Also Protomotive gives you free revisions in case you add more mods or want to run race gas. Softronic does not..
Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Fvd is also a top notch flash. Fvds is emissions readiness compliant as well, which is a huge plus when getting yearly inspections.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:33 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo997TT
I just read this in another Forum and they talked about the loss of torque...

"Yes note the question mark - be very leery of any tuner that mentions night-and-day improvement in power with just an exhaust. It's a fantasy and a bad sales pitch. I know there have been dyno's showing gain of such and such, basically from a more free breathing catalytic converter (stock 600 cpsi cell density, most after-market 200), but in reality what most people feel is simply a faster spooling up. The tach needle *seems* to go up faster, and that's about it. There are actually some anecdotal reports that one could feel a loss of torque in the low range by just adding an exhaust system. I don't know whether this is true, or if it is consequence of seeing that tach needle moving up quickly.
If you want power, get an exhaust AND an ECU tune. Exhaust alone won't do anything worth mentioning, and in fact may cause a sense of torque loss -- see below. Any rave about power gain is more often than not unproven with dyno and more likely in someone's head, IMHO"
I am totally convinced after my tubi experience that there would be very few exhausts out there today that would ever deliver to the promises made especially when most all appear to be of the same construction and design as the tubi. They all look much of a muchness to me. The same looking cats, the same old looking can with shiney chrome, the same marketing spiels. You see I definitively experienced a loss of midrange to upper with the tubi and i don't need any dyno to tell me otherwise so what you have read is 100% correct. I too have read since that 99% of the exhausts are like this and you need a tune to "fix" it. What a joke! A tune to fix it LOL!!! The good ole tune bandaid!

Funny thing was I was really (foolishly) expecting an improvement in the power after fitting the tubi but the fact was in a practical sense it just wasn't happening. I hate to say it but the car actually felt stronger in the mid to upper rev range with the stock system on even though it did feel asthmatic from the get go until 3000rpms when the boost kicked in.

I will say the tubi did give a slightly better throttle respnse from the initial get go but that was the start and finish of it. It kinda got the engine over its initial sub 3K asthma attack but after that the engine seemed to flatten out and wasn't as willing or crisp when the boost kicked in. Gotta call it the way it was. It was a let down in that sense for sure and the TT is no slug even in stock trim.....and thats putting the lame sound of the tubi and the drone to one side.

To hear anyone say you need a tune to go with the exhaust is like listening to someone ask for a bandaid to fix something that really was not broken that badly to begin with...until of course an AM exhaust was fitted (lol).

I am VERY sceptical about the claims being made out there....and i mean VERY skeptical. Fancy needing a tune to make an exhaust work!!! That to me smacks of BS marketing for sure. Total nonsense! I mean IF an exhaust is truly any good why on earth does it need a tune to make it work? Surely the system has something to offer other than more noise? Well apparently not and 99% of these systems need tunes. So that tells you something right there eh! Don't get your hopes up if you have no plans to tune.

Now. When i fitted the EP1 back to back the Tubi, the difference was truly profound. No question. In fact the truth be known i didn't want to believe it because after the disappointing tubi (which everyone says needs a tune to fix), and the stock system with its sub 3K asthma, the way the EP1 made the engine come to life was far too good to be true. Ridiculous! So i was then questioning myself. Was this my imagination? Is this EP system really delivering? So with eagerness and curiosity i took the car on a varied drive around one of my most favourite testing grounds. And, the more i drove it the proof became more and more undeniable by the second. The thing was begging to be unleashed all the time. It was so crisp and willing....no dead spots....it was just all go. Crazy! It was as if the car had just been "tuned"....and this was stock...no tune. No bandaids required for EP1 guaranteed!!!!!

Forget about the story of some tacho going up faster. Let me tell you with an EP1 the car WILL be pulling crisper, harder and faster and so much easier....and all with a stock tune file. Definitely noticeable to even the most skeptical amongst us.

The proto tune now has just made it more of an animal.....but you will need an upgraded clutch to harness it....so be ready for that.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Which tubi do you have?
I presume the newer single can unit.
Yep = it is a 1-can Tubi. I fired it up this morning and it sound nice at idle...again it drones at around 2000rpm which is not where I normally run at...otherwise high quality and expensive...
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
Yep = it is a 1-can Tubi. I fired it up this morning and it sound nice at idle...again it drones at around 2000rpm which is not where I normally run at...otherwise high quality and expensive...
I always worry about my front end dragging on the driveway...looks you get it on the rear end.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a single canister Tubi on my GT2. Same exhaust when it was a 3.6l making 675whp as now with the big bore 3.8l making 840whp.

There's no restriction with a Tubi from my experience. There is a 2k-2.7k rpm drone that tells me I'm out of the power band, usually a highway issue that requires a quick downshift/upshift back to 70-75mph. The drone isn't really an issue for me but my wife finds it annoying. I like the way it sounds above the drone rpm, so it's no concern of mine, certainly not enough of an issue to buy another exhaust. Don't need a Europipe, don't want one.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:31 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
I am totally convinced after my tubi experience that there would be very few exhausts out there today that would ever deliver to the promises made especially when most all appear to be of the same construction and design as the tubi. They all look much of a muchness to me. The same looking cats, the same old looking can with shiney chrome, the same marketing spiels. You see I definitively experienced a loss of midrange to upper with the tubi and i don't need any dyno to tell me otherwise so what you have read is 100% correct. I too have read since that 99% of the exhausts are like this and you need a tune to "fix" it. What a joke! A tune to fix it LOL!!! The good ole tune bandaid!

Funny thing was I was really (foolishly) expecting an improvement in the power after fitting the tubi but the fact was in a practical sense it just wasn't happening. I hate to say it but the car actually felt stronger in the mid to upper rev range with the stock system on even though it did feel asthmatic from the get go until 3000rpms when the boost kicked in.

I will say the tubi did give a slightly better throttle respnse from the initial get go but that was the start and finish of it. It kinda got the engine over its initial sub 3K asthma attack but after that the engine seemed to flatten out and wasn't as willing or crisp when the boost kicked in. Gotta call it the way it was. It was a let down in that sense for sure and the TT is no slug even in stock trim.....and thats putting the lame sound of the tubi and the drone to one side.

To hear anyone say you need a tune to go with the exhaust is like listening to someone ask for a bandaid to fix something that really was not broken that badly to begin with...until of course an AM exhaust was fitted (lol).

I am VERY sceptical about the claims being made out there....and i mean VERY skeptical. Fancy needing a tune to make an exhaust work!!! That to me smacks of BS marketing for sure. Total nonsense! I mean IF an exhaust is truly any good why on earth does it need a tune to make it work? Surely the system has something to offer other than more noise? Well apparently not and 99% of these systems need tunes. So that tells you something right there eh! Don't get your hopes up if you have no plans to tune.

Now. When i fitted the EP1 back to back the Tubi, the difference was truly profound. No question. In fact the truth be known i didn't want to believe it because after the disappointing tubi (which everyone says needs a tune to fix), and the stock system with its sub 3K asthma, the way the EP1 made the engine come to life was far too good to be true. Ridiculous! So i was then questioning myself. Was this my imagination? Is this EP system really delivering? So with eagerness and curiosity i took the car on a varied drive around one of my most favourite testing grounds. And, the more i drove it the proof became more and more undeniable by the second. The thing was begging to be unleashed all the time. It was so crisp and willing....no dead spots....it was just all go. Crazy! It was as if the car had just been "tuned"....and this was stock...no tune. No bandaids required for EP1 guaranteed!!!!!

Forget about the story of some tacho going up faster. Let me tell you with an EP1 the car WILL be pulling crisper, harder and faster and so much easier....and all with a stock tune file. Definitely noticeable to even the most skeptical amongst us.

The proto tune now has just made it more of an animal.....but you will need an upgraded clutch to harness it....so be ready for that.
Very well written! I agree with you 100% Most exhaust will only change the sound but the Europipe was designed for the turbo's! Worth every penny!
Correct me if I am wrong but I have never heard of anyone replacing the Europipe after installing one for something else. The used ones that you do see pop up for sale are when the owners decide to sell the vehicle and they install the stock exhaust back on.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:13 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I did....
Old 04-02-2013, 04:24 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

I did....
Can you explain why and what did you replace it with?

Those black GT3 wheels look great on your car!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:04 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I went back to the Fvd tuv quiet 88db exhaust. The EP was a little too loud on cold start up, plus I got tagged at lime rock (twice) for being too loud at wot on the front straight. Driving 2 hrs to the track then getting dinged in two separate outings....off it came. The guy I sold it too has since taken it off as well bc he wanted a catless setup. The EP is a high quality piece, but so are others.
All of these exhausts are grossly overpriced. The Porsche tax deluxe.
All of the sellers should wear ski masks IMO.
I had 6 different exhausts on my old car, the top three, in no particular order; EP, tubi dual can and Fvd tuv.
GL on your hunt. Don't be dogmatic, there are many good ones out these days.
C

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 04-02-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I always worry about my front end dragging on the driveway...looks you get it on the rear end.
You only see the scuffs when she is on the lift! Maybe the scuffs are causing the droning?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:14 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by Igooz
The single can drones, the old two can does not, not exactly sure why. Could be the jointless design of the two can, then again my fvd single can never droned....
Old 04-02-2013, 09:19 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The single can drones, the old two can does not, not exactly sure why. Could be the jointless design of the two can, then again my fvd single can never droned....
TT .. I love your wheels! Nice and unconventional choice!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

They were on sale

Quick Reply: The best exhaust for a 2007 997 TT