Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of getting a TT again

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 04:27 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

My old 07tt had 70 k miles,dd, tons of track time. I never had, or saw anyone else with that "issue".
The 997.1 is freaking bulletproof.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:53 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NoPasaran
For those who are lucky.
Whoa.... I dont think that is an accurate statement. I have had my TT for 3 years and is a DD. I have had no issues other than the typical slave/accumulator issue (covered under warranty) Also replaced a PCM (first year under warranty.)

Other than that not one problem. I still have the original clutch after 62k miles.

I drive my car hard almost every day. Also our sister company does Porsche service, Very very few issues with the TT. It's the most reliable Porsche I have ever had.

I have at least 3 other friends with the same car. Also no issues. Sure there is going to be the odd car that is a problem child. But it's the exception not the norm..
Old 03-18-2013, 07:56 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Zeus993
@TT Surgeon
@phillipj

Great, guys! I am happy for you.
You are not a representative sample, though. Even if you were, one should think the purchase of 997T through very carefully, because the repair costs on this car are accoding to the initial sticker price and the name.
All I want to say is, if you buy a used 997T you better be ready to pay up if/when the problem start, it is NOT bulletproof.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:21 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 594 Posts

@Zeus993
@TT Surgeon
@phillipj

You are not a representative sample, though. Even if you were, one should think the purchase of 997T through very carefully, because the repair costs on this car are accoding to the initial sticker price and the name.
All I want to say is, if you buy a used 997T you better be ready to pay up if/when the problem start, it is NOT bulletproof.
Please be specific with some actual examples you have experienced. I'm interested...
Old 03-18-2013, 03:16 PM
phillipj
Drifting

@Zeus993
@TT Surgeon
@phillipj

No car is bullet proof.. But for a car with the performance off the 997 TT it is extremely reliable and inexpensive to maintain.

You have to be ready to pay up with any used German car.. If a person cant afford to repair a car like this when it breaks then they have no business buying one in the first place.

Yes the three of us are not an accurate slice of how many TT's are out there. But on all turbo forums you will find very few people complaining about the cars reliabilty.

I had a 996 that blew up with 55k miles on it. Was I pissed ? Hell yes.. But I didnt think all 996's were bad cars or accidents waiting to happen.

The Mezger engine is one of the most reliable engines Porsche has ever produced..

I too would be curious what issues you have had with your car..

Old 03-19-2013, 08:18 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

I've had clutch accumulator replacement (standard problem) but is still leaks a little from the little Pentosin reservoir in the front so maybe will need slave cylinder replacement as well

I had Pentosin leak from main reservoir in the engine, ended up replacing the whole reservoir,

rattles in the interior (fixed or being fixed)

Occasional rattle from the tunnel between the seats (my mechanic said it could be front differential or one of the three ball bearings, or something like that, in that region)

Rattle from the engine on cold start (1 second or so, mechanic said it could be chain tensioner that cannot hold the oil pressure, there are two of them and the replacement cost with labour is quite high)

Noises from front suspension when driving over broken service, for some reason especially noticeable when it is wet outside. I have H&R lowering springs, maybe this has an effect, I do not know. Maybe the suspension links are lose or worn, I do not know. Mechanic will check fron suspension next week, when I change my tyres.

SO FAR, this is it. Everytime I hear some noise (and I have good ears) I have to know what is going on, I try to keep my car fit. There is also a probability of cooling line blowout, the car mileage on my car is getting close to 50k miles, and it is 6 years old in a few months.

Do I enjoy driving it? Yes. Would I buy 997T again if I had an opportunity? Yes. Probably GT2, though.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:20 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

I've had clutch accumulator replacement (standard problem) but is still leaks a little from the little Pentosin reservoir in the front so maybe will need slave cylinder replacement as well

I had Pentosin leak from main reservoir in the engine, ended up replacing the whole reservoir,

rattles in the interior (fixed or being fixed)

Occasional rattle from the tunnel between the seats (my mechanic said it could be front differential or one of the three ball bearings, or something like that, in that region)

Rattle from the engine on cold start (1 second or so, mechanic said it could be chain tensioner that cannot hold the oil pressure, there are two of them and the replacement cost with labour is quite high)

Noises from front suspension when driving over broken service, for some reason especially noticeable when it is wet outside. I have H&R lowering springs, maybe this has an effect, I do not know. Maybe the suspension links are lose or worn, I do not know. Mechanic will check fron suspension next week, when I change my tyres.

SO FAR, this is it. Everytime I hear some noise (and I have good ears) I have to know what is going on, I try to keep my car fit. There is also a probability of cooling line blowout, the car mileage on my car is getting close to 50k miles, and it is 6 years old in a few months.

Do I enjoy driving it? Yes. Would I buy 997T again if I had an opportunity? Yes. Probably GT2, though.
Hmmm... Doesn't sound like anything major to me. You've got the standard clutch accumulator issue and some noises. The last major noise I had was from a golf ball rolling around under the passenger seat. I think we were looking for more real life examples of major things you've had go wrong that led you to your opinion that the TT was 'not bullet proof' and one needed to be 'lucky' to own one. Anything else? Again, I'm interested.

And BTW, have you posted pics of your car yet? I can't recall seeing them. It's standard protocol on this site you know!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:26 PM
NoPasaran
Racer

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Hmmm... Doesn't sound like anything major to me. You've got the standard clutch accumulator issue and some noises. The last major noise I had was from a golf ball rolling around under the passenger seat. I think we were looking for more real life examples of major things you've had go wrong that led you to your opinion that the TT was 'not bullet proof' and one needed to be 'lucky' to own one. Anything else? Again, I'm interested.

And BTW, have you posted pics of your car yet? I can't recall seeing them. It's standard protocol on this site you know!
Potential replacement of front differential and potential replacement of chain tensioners are not major?
Old 03-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Potential replacement of front differential and potential replacement of chain tensioners are not major?
I'd 100% question the chain tensioners. The Mezger is a NOISY engine. This is NORMAL.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:14 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Agree with Zues. Mine rattles on start up as well. In fact I have never heard a turbo that doesn't rattle. Doesn't bother me. Have your mechanic check your strut tower bushings. Does it make the noise (pop and creak) when you turn at slow speeds? I have the same springs you have.. I had a friend install them and apperently he didn't do a very good job. I had to replace the bushings and it set me back $1000 with labor (wasn't the cars fault though.) Now the car is noise free and it's been over a year. Did you get an alignment after you lowered the car? (sorry if that's a dumb question.)

Your other compalints are definitely a pain. I hate mysterious rattles. i had one in my first 996. It drove me crazy for over a year trying to trace it.. Then finally I found a tiny screwdriver under the passenger seat from the previous owner. Noise gone.....

Luckily for me I have had no Pentosin leaks.. You may want to have those sounds diagnosed by another mechanic. Not saying yours isn't qualified. It's just a good idea to get several ears on problems like that.

I hope you don't have anymore problems and can enjoy your car..
Old 03-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phillipj
Agree with Zues. Mine rattles on start up as well. In fact I have never heard a turbo that doesn't rattle. Doesn't bother me. Have your mechanic check your strut tower bushings. Does it make the noise (pop and creak) when you turn at slow speeds? I have the same springs you have.. I had a friend install them and apperently he didn't do a very good job. I had to replace the bushings and it set me back $1000 with labor (wasn't the cars fault though.) Now the car is noise free and it's been over a year. Did you get an alignment after you lowered the car? (sorry if that's a dumb question.)

Your other compalints are definitely a pain. I hate mysterious rattles. i had one in my first 996. It drove me crazy for over a year trying to trace it.. Then finally I found a tiny screwdriver under the passenger seat from the previous owner. Noise gone.....

Luckily for me I have had no Pentosin leaks.. You may want to have those sounds diagnosed by another mechanic. Not saying yours isn't qualified. It's just a good idea to get several ears on problems like that.

I hope you don't have anymore problems and can enjoy your car..
Way too funny on the screw driver under the passenger seat Phillip! Again, I had a golf ball rolling around under there and was CONVINCED it was a MAJOR $$$$ problem. My mechanic John Broek gave me the funniest smirk when he pulled it out.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:34 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Thanks Philippj, thanks Zeus993.

I moved my seats back and forth and tried to find something under them the first time I heard the noise. No, nothing there. The creaking noise from the back was already localized, it is one of the plastic pannels next to the small window. I am doing service work at Sportec (I've been customer for years now, already with my previous car) and they tried to fix the rattle but did not succeed, hopefully they do better (and chargefree) next week when I go for tyre change. They've fixed another noise a few months ago, it came from behind the driver seat, from the pannel that covers the speaker.

Regarding the rattle in the tunnel between seats, it comes up from time to time, I only hear it when music is off. Sportec guys checked the drive shaft to the front wheels, replaced it with another one and also drove without the drive shaft at which point the noise seemed to disappear (they've heard the noise of tight turns in 3rd gear, they said). So they presume it is either some ball bearings (I think that is what they said), of which there are three, or the differential proper. I can drive, they said, until the noise is really bad. Right now I hear nothing at all. I wonder what front diff replacement would cost. The mechanics said they had a similar problem with another car once.

When I turn at slow speeds I do not hear pop and creak from the front, at least nothing that I noticed so far. Only when I drive over really bad surface (short repeating waves, potholes, seams) do I hear noise from what I assume is front suspension. At first I thought it was simply bottoming out on those shorter H&R springs, but that cannot be it, right? I asked at Porsche Center and off the top of their head they suggested checking suspension links. Strut tower bushings, what are those? Are those rubber bumpstops?

Car is now aligned. I bought it one year ago and did not do alignment then, and it ate rear tyres in 15000km, so I had now alignment done and new Michelin PSS will go on it (245/30/20 and 325/25/20 on HRE P43).

Regarding rattling noise on cold start, Sportec puts Castrol TWS 10W-60 in all of their cars. This is a bit thicker oil and I assumed maybe tensioners cannot handle it on the cold start. Sportec said it cannot be it, as they used it in all other cars (GT2, GT3, Turbo,...).

BTW, do you guys follow this scary thread:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...l-p0021-1.html

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting a TT again