Sponsored by:

Keeping the TT

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 02:20 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aa909
Phillip before you consider the same diffuser I bought read my thread over on 6sp

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-diffuser.html

If I had to do it over again I'd just buy the techart piece and call it a day

Based on your and Tom's experience I think I'll pass on that mod for now.. I don't want to pay up for Techart. That's crazy expensive for what it is. Rather go for the wheels...
Old 03-01-2013, 02:23 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
Based on your and Tom's experience I think I'll pass on that mod for now.. I don't want to pay up for Techart. Rather go for the wheels...
Good idea. I dont think Techart is carbon right? Anyways I think Art had the worst piece from a bad lot, now I sound like a vendor.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:05 AM
turbojohn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theporscheguy
It's tough to see what a 997TT will sell for these days. They are fantastic cars. I would not take the hit just to move into another turbo.
Gotta agree with you. Thought long and hard about trading/selling my '07 turbo (55K miles). A new turbo with anymore HP like the 'S' is near ridiculous in cost increase especially when they force pdk down your throat. Getting another new non-S with 6 speed has little change over the '07 so not worth +$70K for a switch.
My bought-new '07 is coming apart once the factory warranty expired. Especially those hidden AC-water hoses that demand an engine drop for +$2500. Extended warranties will not cover any rubber hoses. I went ahead and replaced all hoses, engine oil seal and clutch etc while engine was out and also extended my non-rubber EasyCare warranty for another 2-years. My porsche tech says repeatedly to not keep/drive these cars once out of factory warranty because # of repeated breakdowns and the high cost of repairs. He says factory warranty would have covered hidden water hose, but I am not sure that is true. I know Porsche factory warranty passes on brake pads, clutch etc and can do the same with rubber hoses if they choose to do so.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:50 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having the TT picked up tomorrow for paint (polish, buff wax) and the interior detailed properly. Next is the rear CF diffuser and GT2 skirts. Then later the 19 OZ wheels in graphite..

Might add this too. My plastic is pretty scuffed (even though I'm careful with it.)
http://www.macarbon.com/components/c...53d0d5913c.jpg

Oh yeah... And ANOTHER spoiler lip...

She's happy she is staying with me...
Who does your detail or paint work... Most want to charge exorbitant fee since we have Porsche keys....
Old 03-03-2013, 12:34 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kormaster
Who does your detail or paint work... Most want to charge exorbitant fee since we have Porsche keys....
find a good detailer, get references and don't go cheap. Porsche paint is pretty thin to begin with so you don't want a guy who details honda's taking an aggressive compounding pad to your paint and taking off half the clear coat in one detail.

The right detailing guru will be expensive because they will painstakingly take multiple paint thickness measurements across each panel to map out the paint variations across the entire car. this will tell them how aggressive they can polish in a given region and where they may need to be more gentle and feather in with a light polishing pad.

Additionally if you have a clear bra you want someone who knows how to removing marring and scratches out of the plastic. Otherwise you'll end up with beautifully polished paint but then the clear bra looks like crap

After you've had it detailed you also need to wash and dry the car using the proper technique to maintain that mirror finish, otherwise your newly polished finish will look marred with micro scratches everywhere after half a dozen washes.

Most people think that waxing is important, but polishing is what gives the paint the mirror finish, and if washed properly without introducing micro scratches you honestly don't even need to wax the paint other than for a little added protection against the elements

I have a excellent guy here in the bay area that only does exotics. he's expensive, has a long waiting list but his work speaks for itself

Good Luck
Art
Old 03-03-2013, 07:57 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by kormaster
I just had my paint done and the interior detailed for $175 bucks.. They did and AMAZING job. The paint looks new and they were able to rehabilitate the clear bra on my hood and fenders. My car looks amazing. Makes me so happy.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:21 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

I just had my paint done and the interior detailed for $175 bucks.. They did and AMAZING job. The paint looks new and they were able to rehabilitate the clear bra on my hood and fenders. My car looks amazing. Makes me so happy.
Nice, nothing comes close to a clean polished black car!

now that you've got it polished buy a foam gun and a CR spotless system and some quality microfiber wash mitts, a few buckets and throw away the duster!

You already know this but polished paint gets micro scratches and marring when you touch a dusty or dirty car when it is dry or with a dirty towel during washing or drying. Hence only use dusters on clean cars with very light dust (eg if you can't blow the dust off then don't use a duster!), use two buckets and lots of foam when washing and use the CR spotless system to eliminate the need to thoroughly towel dry your car. The less you touch the paint the longer that mirror finish will last!

I've seen guys who use the above system and their cars still have the mirror finish 2 years after getting detailed. and I've seen cars that look like crap after 6 washes post getting detailed

Enjoy the ride man, and post some pics of that freshly detailed black monster

- Art
Old 03-03-2013, 09:32 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone

sounds worthy of some pictures sir
Old 03-04-2013, 01:17 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Here is crappy picture from my phone. We had our grand opening yesterday at our sales facility. I had my car there and three people were interested in buying it! LOL!

We had a great turn out. A Lambo club showed up.. Great cars and super nice people.. I'll take better pictures..

Last edited by phillipj; 04-02-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:30 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone

that looks great! I might like to try some green-ish calipers against my meteor grey paint
Old 03-04-2013, 04:57 PM
phillipj
Drifting

That would look awesome. I have seen Lambo's like that. I like it!

Quick Reply: Keeping the TT