Sponsored by:

991 turbo coming this year

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
Not so fast gentlemen.

Porsche has NOT said that the GT3 will be PDK only. The car they released to the press was a PDK with no mention of a manual.. But they didn't say there would be NO manual.

All your hearing is rumors with no facts behind them.

We have two on order (GT3's) and the dealers have NOT been told that they are PDK only. There has been no news of the RS. That will come almost a year later.

I believe the 991 base turbo will offer a manual as well. The "S" will be PDK. But i think it will be that last generation that does offer a manual.

Time will tell if you have to accept the paddles..
I have already seen three references to no manual.

Car Mag, 3/13...Wolfgang Hatz (quote): "Next turbo will take 911 to new level and I will be honest, we will not have a manual anymore." They had a photo of it which seemed to show little change except for a smaller rear spoiler.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:17 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Not so fast gentlemen.

Porsche has NOT said that the GT3 will be PDK only. The car they released to the press was a PDK with no mention of a manual.. But they didn't say there would be NO manual.

All your hearing is rumors with no facts behind them.

We have two on order (GT3's) and the dealers have NOT been told that they are PDK only. There has been no news of the RS. That will come almost a year later.

I believe the 991 base turbo will offer a manual as well. The "S" will be PDK. But i think it will be that last generation that does offer a manual.

Time will tell if you have to accept the paddles..
Porsche already said.....

Originally Posted by ilko
If I were to believe what US dealers have or have not been told I would have already put a deposit on a B8 RS4 Avant

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...as-Preuninger/
Thanks for saving me the effort
Old 04-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

If I were to believe what US dealers have or have not been told I would have already put a deposit on a B8 RS4 Avant

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...as-Preuninger/
Good interview. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:37 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Normal evolutionary process. From what I've heard a manual transmission will not be offered. And I'm curious about the price tag. The rumors are that the base will be in the $150-160K range... Makes a 6-speed 997TT a real bargain!
hence why i bought my mezger engine 997TT M/T now.... got a feeling they are going to jump when the pdk only comes out.. purists will crave M/t and the true purists crave mezger only.

don't feel like having another "exige" situation on my hands (sold my exige and then market jumped up )

Last edited by rijowysock; 04-13-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:40 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

^my thoughts exactly.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm keeping my 2007TT (manual) - love the car, have never tired of it, still enjoy every drive, and really starting to appreciate its relative small size, and its (again, relative) simplicity.

I do want to buy another Porsche, though, and am seriously thinking of the 991 GT3. I'll definitely take a test drive when they become available.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:36 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We will see. Even that article is not gospel. And dealer reference was taken out of context.

Both the base turbo and the turbo S PDK? Really? You guys seem to have it all figured out. Next time I'll just ask you since you are so well connected with Porsche managment.

If im wrong you can roast me when the car comes out. Until then you dont know..
Old 04-13-2013, 08:32 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

We will see. Even that article is not gospel. And dealer reference was taken out of context.

Both the base turbo and the turbo S PDK? Really? You guys seem to have it all figured out. Next time I'll just ask you since you are so well connected with Porsche managment.

If im wrong you can roast me when the car comes out. Until then you dont know..
i have heard it directly from friends that work at porsche and they have always been spot on.

bit bigger than that is just common sense, why would a company release a pdk only "GT" car.. and then release their soccer mom rocket ship in a manual?.. if anything the turbo would adopt "pdk only" sooner than the GT3.

they already pissed people off, now it's easy to say "pdk only" for Turbo and so forth.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:13 AM
Rodbuster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems strange to me, that they would offer the new Boxster with a manual, but not the new turbo.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodbuster
It seems strange to me, that they would offer the new Boxster with a manual, but not the new turbo.
Agreed. I get the impression that the Boster and Cayman are the new traditional '911' small category car for sports car enthusiasts. They've increase the size of it and kept the manual transmission. What a great combination. The 991 now becomes the contender with Jag, Aston, BMW 6 series and Corvette for a GT style car. It's more comfy with lots of power and luxery. Don't we all just want a simple fun driving machine?
Old 04-14-2013, 01:15 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you nailed it Joel.
The new Cayman is one gorgeous car with perfect proportions. They should make a turbo Cayman .
Old 04-15-2013, 05:57 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
I think you nailed it Joel.
The new Cayman is one gorgeous car with perfect proportions. They should make a turbo Cayman .
I would buy one of those!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 211 Posts

In last Friday at my local Porsche store to buy a Boxster S for my wife. My salesperson tells me that they were told there will be 400HP Cayman due out next summer with a stick - apparently in an effort to appease guys like many of us who feel Porsche has let them down in not offering a more visceral experience in their sports cars - like the old days. I like my PDK - I like my TT - I just don't love it which at this price point, should be a core tenet to these cars (for me anyway). With the Boxster S coming Monday (with PDK) I am seriously considering selling my TT - maybe get an R8 with a stick for the short term while we see what comes out of Porsche in the 991ttt...
Old 04-16-2013, 12:16 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

OD, you change cars worse than me!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:07 PM
calantak
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes!

I just received word from my dealer this afternoon! 991 turbo s will be delivered to me september/octobre! (Belgium)

I get the first one for our region (preorder 1/2012...)
(btw dual tone cognac-espresso will be available on the turbo S)
amaranth red - espresso should work???
yihaaaaaaaa
ptv plus, pdk, pdcc pccb sport chrono plus standard, carbon center, doors etc standard, sportdesign wheel, tps standard

edit : after a long phone call with y dealer : amaranth red -espresso does NOT work. so it's down to espresso

Last edited by calantak; 04-18-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Quick Reply: 991 turbo coming this year