Sponsored by:

Possible to find a 997tt in 60k range?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 11:38 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
if you plan on selling your car vs trading it in, the overRevs will effect your sale with folks in the know. .
Kevin,

With due respect, what are the chances of an engine (over revs 4/5/6 at 200 hours) failing if the engine currently has 900 hours without any issues?

700 trouble free hours, can the engine still pop?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2013, 11:47 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

C2, you have rod bolt stretching that occurs at 8500 RPM's, this in turn pinches the rod bearings with slow accelerated wear. You have 2 large timing chains (44 inches long) that stretch. And more sensitive to over RPM's are the varioCam modules. With 900 hours on your engine now, you might be good to 100K.. But you may also see camshaft deviations at double the hours (chain stretch)...

If you bought the car and own it. Why sweat the details.. Similar to chips on ceramic brakes. You know that they are there, but the car still runs....

My advice is for new owners looking for a new car. Like I said, for myself I pass on type 4 thru type 6's..
Old 02-21-2013, 11:56 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

C2, you have rod bolt stretching that occurs at 8500 RPM's, this in turn pinches the rod bearings with slow accelerated wear. You have 2 large timing chains (44 inches long) that stretch. And more sensitive to over RPM's are the varioCam modules. With 900 hours on your engine now, you might be good to 100K.. But you may also see camshaft deviations at double the hours (chain stretch)...

If you bought the car and own it. Why sweat the details.. Similar to chips on ceramic brakes. You know that they are there, but the car still runs....

My advice is for new owners looking for a new car. Like I said, for myself I pass on type 4 thru type 6's..
Those numbers were just hypothectical ones. My point is, if the car has cover several hundred hours pass the last over r evs then it should be fine.

What if the OP did a compression/leakdown?

Regarding the ceramic rotors, yeah every one says replace them but several thousand miles later the rotor/pads/brakes are still fine.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:05 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You can't make that Guarantee to owners on these car. If the engine has type 5 overRevs, there is mechanical risk implied. Type 6's equal more risk. How much risk can your wallet take??? Unless you have a warranty and do not add more to the type 4 thru 6. One should be fine. But things can happen. Chains and crankshafts break.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:15 AM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't make that Guarantee to owners on these car. If the engine has type 5 overRevs, there is mechanical risk implied. Type 6's equal more risk. How much risk can your wallet take??? Unless you have a warranty and do not add more to the type 4 thru 6. One should be fine. But things can happen. Chains and crankshafts break.
FWIW, the 997tt I am looking at comes with a 2yr CPO warranty.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:23 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I grabbed a few broken parts from two seperate engines. The crankshaft failure had repeated 7500Rpm rev ranges. The other component is a failed bank two timing chain that failed. The result of these failures required owners to purchase brand new engines. No warranty, all out of pocket.

07, you are in Canada.. It is the district Porsche rep that makes the decision to warranty components NOT the dealer. If you miss a shift and if you spin the tires and add one more overRev your rights for warranty repairs degrade. Buying a CPO'd car with overRevs in the 4,5,and 6 block is not the official Porsche standard. It may happen, but it is rare.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:37 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

I grabbed a few broken parts from two seperate engines. The crankshaft failure had repeated 7500Rpm rev ranges. The other component is a failed bank two timing chain that failed. The result of these failures required owners to purchase brand new engines. No warranty, all out of pocket.

07, you are in Canada.. It is the district Porsche rep that makes the decision to warranty components NOT the dealer. If you miss a shift and if you spin the tires and add one more overRev your rights for warranty repairs degrade. Buying a CPO'd car with overRevs in the 4,5,and 6 block is not the official Porsche standard. It may happen, but it is rare.
Is that from an '07 TT?

I have never heard people doing these over rev datas in other marques like Ferraris/Lambos and even in Porsches (before 996 TT's), so how do one evaluate those engines?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:03 AM
Silver997TT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that looks ugly and makes me scared! Question from the newbie. Will Porsche still cover the blown engine due to overRevs for CPO'd car? My understanding is that the BMW does not cover this because it's a driver's fault.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The parts posted are the very same parts that are in your engine.. These were out of 996TT X50 engines (2 seperate engines). If you miss a shift or see numbers in the 4,5 and 6 ranges > the car has seen a miss shift. Damage might be possible with future repairs miles down the road.

The DME report allow a new owner to mitigate his risk. Owners that already own there cars can't do anything about the report.

Yes, Porsche has denied warranty claims. Please also understand that it is not your dealers decision. The regional Porsche rep makes the call.

If you have missed a shift and have overRev numbers in 4, 5, and 6.. You risk your CPO warranty.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugly reality. Guess what kevin is trying to say is that with the over revs on the history report there is still a far greater chance of major issues..and.. That CPO or not they will look for any chance to not pay, which frankly everyone one of us would likely do ourselves if we were the insurance company.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:41 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmmmm.........wonder if I paid too much for mine
Old 03-02-2013, 08:45 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
hmmmmm.........wonder if I paid too much for mine
sorry, come again, I can't seem to make sense of your post, your avatar has somehow disabled my ability to read or focus on words and stuff...
Old 03-02-2013, 08:48 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

I just meant I wonder if I overpaid monetarily at the car dealership where I bought a twin turbo Porsche car with cash and a Targa

I probably did.........
Old 03-02-2013, 09:29 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
I just meant I wonder if I overpaid monetarily at the car dealership where I bought a twin turbo Porsche car with cash and a Targa

I probably did.........
Seriously I'm not following. Are you typing in English? You need to be more clear. I just seem completely incapable of making any sense of Your post. I don't know what it is but my eyes can't seem to focus on the right panel of the screen
Old 03-03-2013, 09:06 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

WELL, ER.......I went to a car dealership to trade a car for another car.........but I think my negociating tactic's, (like my spelling) really sux!
I'm pretty sure what I paid was too much for the car..........but it really makes me happy and have fun so F it

Quick Reply: Possible to find a 997tt in 60k range?