Sponsored by:

Possible to find a 997tt in 60k range?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 02:22 PM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silver997TT
Yes it was on for sale section here but I found it over 6speedonline. I was not a member here. I still haven't picked up car yet. Can't wait!
Hope you will find yours soon. GL.
Great to hear! That car has a lot of nice interior and sound system finishes - the 18mth of CPO warranty is a great bonus!

I inquired about it a few weeks back, but since I am in Canada it makes it for a tricky transaction.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

Have you folks looked at the type 1 to type 6 overRevs?? There are some interesting "storied" vehicles out in the market place right now. Be careful.. Type 6 overRevs = crankshaft and rods over 9500 RPM's...

Please do your homework..
Old 02-20-2013, 03:43 PM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Originally Posted by Kevin
Have you folks looked at the type 1 to type 6 overRevs?? There are some interesting "storied" vehicles out in the market place right now. Be careful.. Type 6 overRevs = crankshaft and rods over 9500 RPM's...

Please do your homework..
I have been told about these. Any 997TT I seriously consider will be checked out thoroughly. Appreciate the tip!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I went thru 4 PPI recently.. 3 failed.. 2 were at Porsche dealerships!! Buyer Beware.. 3 of the cars had less than 20K on the clock.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:33 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I went thru 4 PPI recently.. 3 failed.. 2 were at Porsche dealerships!! Buyer Beware.. 3 of the cars had less than 20K on the clock.
Good advice...but we don't need "chicken little" advice - you say "interesting storied vehicles" but don't provide any other info so I'll provide info on mine - 2008 TT with over rev ignitions in all 6 ranges (although early in the car's life) no problems - currently 30,000 miles, no strange noises, no oil consumption, car runs extremely strong and Porsche even CPO'd the car at 15,000 miles. I bought my car with all the PPI info disclosed and couldn't be more pleased.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Porsche will typically NOT CPO a vehicle with type 6 overRevs.

Chicken little advice, call it the color that you wish.. These engines have come apart already for vario cam and inlet tappet problems.

As a owner I chose to find a car with "0" type 4's 5's and 6's.. For each his own. I will post a screen shot of one of the cars that I looked at. I decided to pass on it when I seen the engine overRev data.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A good primer thread..

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ed-in-dme.html
Old 02-20-2013, 05:51 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Porsche will typically NOT CPO a vehicle with type 6 overRevs.

Chicken little advice, call it the color that you wish.. These engines have come apart already for vario cam and inlet tappet problems.

As a owner I chose to find a car with "0" type 4's 5's and 6's.. For each his own. I will post a screen shot of one of the cars that I looked at. I decided to pass on it when I seen the engine overRev data.
I was leery on purchase because of the range 4, 5 and 6 over revs...although low double digits in these ranges so I made sure I had documentation from the selling dealer that these over revs existed at the time of the CPO, There are many things to consider when buying a used turbo, over revs being very important but there can be mitigating reasons to purchase and that's what I chose to do. I felt comfortable since the over revs occurred very early in the life of the car, I had the CPO as a backup and the dealer's acknowledgment that the over revs existed at time of CPO. Porsche can CPO cars with range 5 and 6 over revs but I think PCNA has to sign off. Anyway, as much as i would have liked to find a "clean" DME, I bought this car and 2 years and 15,000 miles later could not be more pleased.

I've been following the posts in this board for a long time and while the subject of over revs is discussed often, I don't remember reading about instances of the Mezger engine coming apart...maybe I missed a post or two. Anyway I offer my experience as a counterpoint and from someone who stopped obsessing about over revs two years ago.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You have missed a few engines then.. Go over to the 996TT forum you can get your fill. I'll take a picture of a timing chain that "just" broke>> all by itself.. Stuffed the valve train. All the exhaust valves on bank number 2 made contact with the pistons.

One aspect of the overRevs that you might be missing is>> if you plan on selling your car vs trading it in, the overRevs will effect your sale with folks in the know. That's why I said, buyer beware. The 997.1TT are getting out of warranty and folks don't "ask" for a failed engine. It does happen and it can ruin your day.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:01 AM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's one in the 60's, just posted in another thread.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...teo&listType=1
Old 02-21-2013, 08:49 AM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Originally Posted by Goldstar
Here's one in the 60's, just posted in another thread.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...teo&listType=1
Appreciate the lead, but I want the car to have 6 speed manual.

The search continues....
Old 02-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Silver997TT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07_RS4
Appreciate the lead, but I want the car to have 6 speed manual.

The search continues....
What do you think about this one.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...C=BYSpdB728dyb

I would be all over this one if I didn't buy already. Very clean in and out with nice two tone interior. Relatively low miles too.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:09 PM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Originally Posted by Silver997TT
What do you think about this one.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...C=BYSpdB728dyb

I would be all over this one if I didn't buy already. Very clean in and out with nice two tone interior. Relatively low miles too.
I have a few on my radar and this one is indeed one of them. Although I anot too crazy about the two-tone interior, I don't dislike it either and could live with it. I have inquired and am waiting to hear back.

I have 2 others that I have located as well - these are also being looked into. Waiting for a DME report on one of them....fingers crossed!

Appreciate the help!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:15 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm shocked.. Shocked that a Porsche dealer would be unscrupulous. Imagine that...
Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I don't know that I would use the word "unscrupulous" They produced the documents that I asked. I used the word "storied". Like, what you hear from the salesmen describing what "overRevs" are.. At the end of the day, it should only matter to you. Emotions play into the car buying experience to many times.

Quick Reply: Possible to find a 997tt in 60k range?