Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013 | 11:50 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
In Belgium Porsche used 0-40 for a long time, recently they changed to 5-50.
When I had my Porsche serviced it came back with a new sticker:
I used the M1 5W50 for a couple years. Had great results and UOA's.
Old 02-06-2013 | 02:36 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
I used the M1 5W50 for a couple years. Had great results and UOA's.
Explain "great results".
Old 02-06-2013 | 03:22 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Explain "great results".
Fair question.

UOA's from Blackstone showed slightly lower wear metals then Red Line 5W40 gave me for the prior 3 years. All are lower values than the Universal Averages. Interval was double the UA. Changed yearly at the 6-7,000 mile mark.

SUS Viscosity (210 F) better than Red Line and M1 0W40, as expected. cSt Viscosity (100 C) also better, as expected.

Zinc and Phosphorus both over 1,200 PPM.

Cold start-up noise as good as Red Line and better than M1 0W40.

Now playing with JG DT40 to see how it compares to M1 5W50. Will decide in late 2014 if I like "better" than 5W50.

Always had had ZERO consumption between oil changes.
Old 02-06-2013 | 05:59 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Fair question.

UOA's from Blackstone showed slightly lower wear metals then Red Line 5W40 gave me for the prior 3 years. All are lower values than the Universal Averages. Interval was double the UA. Changed yearly at the 6-7,000 mile mark.

SUS Viscosity (210 F) better than Red Line and M1 0W40, as expected. cSt Viscosity (100 C) also better, as expected.

Zinc and Phosphorus both over 1,200 PPM.

Cold start-up noise as good as Red Line and better than M1 0W40.

Now playing with JG DT40 to see how it compares to M1 5W50. Will decide in late 2014 if I like "better" than 5W50.

Always had had ZERO consumption between oil changes.
Thanks.
Old 02-06-2013 | 06:35 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Macster
"The Mobil oil Tech informed there is a 0w40, 5w30 and 5w50 specified for use in Porsches.....but again, no 5w40 grade."
This exactly what the Mobil 1 tech here told me as well. He gave me specs on all of the Porsche Mobil 1 oils but I only bothered posting info on the 2 types best suited to our engine type. If anyone wants i can post the others: 5w30 Mobil 1 where there are two variants available.

Time to get a new Mobil Oil Tech. The one you have doesn't know what he's talking about.
....well i think you are being a bit rough there macster lol.....not that i'm defending him either....

I honestly cant say i ever put him up to you guys as any engine guru, and i did say he was referencing all his info from bulletins and spec sheets. But he was able to extract the appropriate info and deliver it in a relatively intelligent fashion. I figure unless you are speaking to a Mobil 1 oil chemist you are always only going to get info and qualified opinion up to a certain level. He gave me all I really needed so i don't want to be too hard on him just because he obviously didn't have any great depth of knowledge about engines. Altho that said he appeared to know the basic stuff....i.e. mentioned operating conditions and environment as having certain impacts etc.

For Porsche sports cars (circa 1985 and newer) there are several brands of 0w-40 oils, several brands of 5w-40 oils, and one brand 5w-50 oil approved.
Well macster I didn't really bother delving in to the other types of 0w40 oil Mobil may have had in their range, just the Mobil 1 products, as they were the only ones being recommended by Porsche for our particular engine. I'm sure they do make a 5w40 but certainly not in the Mobil 1. Anyway....he did emphasise that there was no other mineral oil type available on todays market that would deliver the same level of performance as the Mobil 1 so in essence there wasn't a lot of sense for me to go off on any tangent into what other mineral oils they had that could also be used within relative safety for our engine. I was only interested in the best, and had he any thoughts to offer regarding the oil consumption between the 0w40 and the 5w50 i had personally experienced. This is where i feel he fell over a bit due to limitations in engine knowledge. I guess if he was an experienced Porsche engineer he would have perhaps been able to offer some quality advice in that area.
Old 02-06-2013 | 06:48 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Macster
This Mobil oil tech appears to be woefully ignorant about different usages, environments which can affect oil change interval requirements.

Further this Mobil oil tech is also offering advice or an opinion that is contrary to Mobil's company policy IIRC stated in its online literature and that is it recommends one consult with the car maker for not only what oil to use but also what oil change interval to follow.
Well again macster i don't want to use the poor guy as an online punching bag sheesh! So let's just go easy on the poor guy eh?

As i said he was able to provide all i really required. Sure it would have been nice to have had a more expert opinion re the oil consumption rates but no worries. I can get over that. I found when i started probing him on the consumption variation he did actually say to consult the Porsche dealer/maker if i was experiencing anything of concern....also mentioned environment and operating conditions too. So, he did his job by the book.

He did however add that he was aware from looking up on his supply records (whilst i was on the phone) that every Porsche dealer seemed to only order a one size fits all type of oil grade. He mentioned the 5w30 as a very popular order.....he was careful enough not to blow anyones whistle when i further pushed him for an answer on what my dealer had. But i could tell he knew precisely. However, he emphasised the point again and added was i 100% sure i was actually using the 0w40 when i was experiencing my oil consumption issue. Just a bit of food for thought here guys....i.e, how would any of you really know what grade of Mobil 1 you are really getting?

He said if i wanted to be 100% sure, i should buy the 0w40 myself and give it to them to use on my next change and then measure the rate again. For all i know i may have had 5w30 in my car because that (maybe) all they had in the service shop. Who knows...

All i do know is that whatever i had in the engine prior to my very first oil change never used anything over the initial 7000kms. For now, I'm (told) i have 5w50 in. But again i have to take the "word"...

I truly (hope) i have the 5w50 as I went over it all with the service tech before the oil was changed out and he did say he would have to order it in. But who knows? Maybe the Mobil 1 guy has a valid point. For all i know they ordered it in and the stuff is still sitting on a bench somewhere because the service guy on my car wasn't told in time and just pumped the 5w30 out of the drum. Whooo knows!! Maybe i'll take the Mobil 1 oil techs advice next time and buy my own 0w40 and watch them physically pour it in. I'm sure they will all really appreciate my trust ..LOL.

Last edited by speed21; 02-06-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 question