Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013 | 05:03 PM
widers911
Burning Brakes

Beautiful car...keep it!
Old 02-11-2013 | 11:53 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

It's a great car, would've bought it myself. I think the mid 90s is the sweet spot price wise.
Old 02-12-2013 | 04:06 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Doc, have you considered it now? Sell the new car, buy this one! Well buy this one and then sell the "new"car. Consider its like a trade with a bit of risk up front. But your car in that condition shouldnt be that hard to sell...
Cars like this one dont come around that often...
Old 02-12-2013 | 07:44 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

My wife would freaking shoot me if I roll up in yet another turbo!
Seriously, I did try and reach out to the owner about this car a while back, but he wasn't ready to sell.
Old 02-13-2013 | 04:05 PM
ruf01
Advanced

Thanks for the replies fellas. Doc's right, at the time he reached out i really wasn't ready to part ways. In fact, even today i've got friends and family telling me i should keep her, however the one person that isn't saying this is the wife, and as some of you know her opinion counts for a lot. The just of our conversation usually ends with her saying "well it just sits under a cover in the garage, i don't get why you bought it if you're not gonna drive it"....end of convo. Women don't get a lot of things we do...lol

Bobby did treat the car with love, and i've done my utmost to maintain that standard. Bobby and i still message on the forums and although we are not personal friends, i always reach out to him to discuss this car and update him. I don't particularly care to list the car for sale on 6 speed for my own selfish reasons. The car is in fantastic shape and as i mentioned earlier i've only driven the car a whole 6 or 7k miles in the almost 3 years that i've i'd her.

Weissach and I talked briefly. They tossed a number at me of 99.4k, they had a buyer at the time, i balked at it, as i wasn't entirely convinced about selling, so things fell apart from there. As it turns out that buyer is friends of a friend and ended up buying an lp560 so i can't feel any remorse. Weissach told me that they don't generally consign, as they prefer to own the majority of their inventory. We spoke about consigning my car, however they're pretty heavy on their end of things, so i decided not to pursue this route.

The car is for sale. I know i priced it high, there's room...but to be honest if someone wants a unique car like this they can approach me if they're serious, and if she doesn't sell i'll pull her out of the garage when the sun is shining and remind myself of why i bought her in the first place...
Old 02-13-2013 | 04:41 PM
ruf01
Advanced

Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
US buyers are much more discerning and it's tough to establish a value to the RUF cache in general, especially with the newer cars. With that said, bbywu really put a lot of love into that car and it's well-known in the internet forum circles.
As a buyer the RUF cache did attract me to the car initially, however after living with the car i understand the concept much better. I have driven and owned a lot of cool cars over the years. Like many others on here, i am a certified car nut. Just as examples, I have experienced what an 800hp gtr feels like from the drivers seat (and believe me its not very refined), the spine and finger tingling feel a 458 can reward you with, i love the incredible interior of a lambo superlegerra, and i daily a range rover. All incredible cars, worthy of the price they command.

I've also been lucky enough to have experienced a number of "massaged" or"tuned" 997 turbos. Not all of them are like this, however more often than not they are either too hard, too loud, or uneasy at the limit or some combination of that. They may be faster, but for me, there's always "something" thats missing from the equation. RUF i feel, hits that "sweet spot". They're not piecing something together without putting some thought into it. It feels refined. Everything seems to work to "enhance" what Zuffenhausen has already masterfully engineered, without going over the top and making the car unpleasant to live with. So its not all about just "cache"...there's some method there that people need to understand, and quite often don't. If you don't need the fastest, loudest, or lowest car on the block, then the ruf package is a really nice compromise between what the porsche factory produces and that next level of performance and refinement that some of us want to obtain when we start pulling parts off that are engineered to work a certain way and adding new ones. Thats just my .02.

Last edited by ruf01; 02-13-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-13-2013 | 04:58 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

^Yep, I totally agree.
Old 02-18-2013 | 09:42 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Originally Posted by ruf01
...The just of our conversation usually ends with her saying "well it just sits under a cover in the garage, i don't get why you bought it if you're not gonna drive it"....end of convo. Women don't get a lot of things we do...lol
Well, maybe I am well connected to my feminine side, but I agree with your wife 100%. What's the point of having a car like that if you don't drive it, preferably daily? Maybe I am just too poor to understand though. I have one car, which is daily, and that is 997 Turbo.
Old 02-18-2013 | 08:39 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by NoPasaran
Well, maybe I am well connected to my feminine side, but I agree with your wife 100%. What's the point of having a car like that if you don't drive it, preferably daily? Maybe I am just too poor to understand though. I have one car, which is daily, and that is 997 Turbo.

I wouldn't consider yourself "Slumming"...

Quick Reply: RUF r turbo