Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

champion tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, posted from somewhere else on the interwebz...
In Europe 98-octane gasoline is common and in Japan even 100-octane is readily available at the pumps, but this octane nomenclature is misleading to Americans as foreign octane ratings are derived entirely differently from our own... So, like every other measurement system it seems that everyone else uses a different scale than we do, but unlike most other instances where we have had the good sense to create different units of measure in this case we all use the same name...
Japan and Europe use a system called RON or Research Octane Number to determine the octane rating of their gasoline, while stateside we use a system called AKI or Anti-Knock Index to determine gasoline's octane rating... Interestingly, to further complicate things it would seem that our own AKI system is actually derived from the average of the RON system and another more complicated system referred to as MON or Motor Octane Number... So, to recap our methodologies for measuring gasoline's octane rating are different, but share some common elements...
So, with the commonality of RON in mind a good rule of thumb is as follows, multiply the foreign RON Octane rating by 0.95 and you will have the US AKI equivalent.

( RON Octane Rating x 0.95 = AKI Octane Rating )
98 RON Octane x 0.95 = 93.1 AKI Octane (US measure)
100 RON Octane x 0.95 = 95 AKI Octane (US measure)

So, as you can see the 93 or 94 octane fuel we are all paying an arm and a leg for is actually quite comparable to the higher octane fuels found in Europe and Japan. The people whom have to worry about low octane rating are our friends out west in places like California that are subjected to substandard 91 octane.
91 AKI Octane (US measure) = 95.5 RON Octane
FYI my car with the OE block still produced over 670whp on street fuel (93 octane, similar to your UK 98 octane) and had no loss of power on the track at either high or low ambient temps from 45F through 90+F so I would call this heat soak issue a non factor with the Champion Motorsport kits.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:35 PM
GTRNICK
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
FYI, posted from somewhere else on the interwebz...

FYI my car with the OE block still produced over 670whp on street fuel (93 octane, similar to your UK 98 octane) and had no loss of power on the track at either high or low ambient temps from 45F through 90+F.
Ok so 93 = 99 heard this before but does not change the fact that I run pump fuel and will most probably run the race stuff if I am doing alot of track days or a time attack but for everyday use it's of no use to me so the mods I do to my car need to run on pumpjuice espcially when a litre is $2.50 here for 99

You will also find that alot of people around the world modding other than the states will be running pump gas but possibly run a meth/water kit of some sort too.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:39 PM
GTRNICK
Racer

Originally Posted by gt32
Just for clarification, I have a 2.5 sachs clutch, awe i/c, Gt3 tb, Awe plenum, europipe exhaust stg 1 and awe/ giac tune which is approx. 625 hp. I am looking at getting more torque and hp which the dyno for the vtg 65 shows. I agree that I need to get more info before I decide .
So unless you are running race fuels there is no way you have 625@the crank!

Or do you already have the smaller hybrid vtg's?
Old 01-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

If 675whp on pump is not enough for the street then I don't know what to say. I personally extrapolate the rating to well over 700 BHP so that's another issue (VTG no good for over 700BHP) debunked IMO.

I don't use methanol/water injection. More complexity does not mean better in my eyes.

In my opinion, of course.

To the OP- is the Sachs 2.5 clutch a four paddle unsprung disc? I had that when I went to the 68mm kit. No problems at all except for harsh engagement. I am not a fan of mixing components from different companies- if your power adders are from AWE I would recommend with going with all AWE or if you are interested in Champion, going with all Champion. A lot easier to troubleshoot in the future if you have problems.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:07 PM
GTRNICK
Racer

I am not a fan of mixing components from different companies- if your power adders are from AWE I would recommend with going with all AWE or if you are interested in Champion, going with all Champion. A lot easier to troubleshoot in the future if you have problems.
Thats good advice, does stop alot of headache!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 PM
gt32
AutoX

Appreciate the comments regarding staying with one tuner and package when upgrading but intercoolers and plenum are not in my opinion a major issue as GIAC is ECU tuner for both and I would think not a major issue as I also have a europipe exhaust not AWE exhaust. The main concern is turbos and tune being compatible along with upgraded air flow and reduced backpressure which I have upgraded. In regards to clutch, no I do not have an unsprung unit and believe 650 ft/lbs of torque is the max. I believe if the 65mm vtg are real in power as dynos show then should have no issues.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:24 AM
Red9
Racer

Why would you want to run 675+whp on unstable street fuel? The OP already said he didn't want to change clutches, and that level of HP (albeit relatively mild) will necessitate a clutch change.

We are all talking about different things, nobody is on the same page. I have a GT2, use GT2 hot sides and Champion Motorsport 68mm compressors and billet housings. 93 octane street fuel commonly found in Florida to Wisconsin, on my street ECM, and 116 (VP C16 usually) on my high HP race ECM. The street tunes cover a range from 620whp to about 700whp, and the race tunes range from about 720whp through to about 840whp.
Let me get this clear-- you have 840 whp using VTGs ?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:30 AM
Red9
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevin
GTRNICK nailed it.. If you are running pump gas, this engine will not tolerate high levels of boost and maintain similar levels of exhaust restrictions. Be careful seeing race prep street engines with straight pipes and NO cats. I have several datalogs showing excessive cylinder knock retard over 1.2 bars of boost. To reduce the knock retard and one needs to lower boost, lower engine timing OR run higher octane fuel.

Installing a larger compressor wheel on the stock turbochargers does not leed to more power. Exhaust back pressure reductions will. Bigger overall gains can be seen when one changes the hot housings > upgrade to the larger GT2 hot housings. Please keep in mind that this turbocharger hot housing/turbine wheel is smaller than the 993TT and 996TT K16's. Power is increase due to higher boost levels.

Great info as always Kevin. What spec would the ultimate VTG be in general terms ?
I asked this question in another place-- why stay with VTGs and not go other tried and true paths?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Red9
Let me get this clear-- you have 840 whp using VTGs ?
Yes.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Red9
Racer

Yes.
Can you explain how that is achieved?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Can you explain how that is achieved?
Simple math.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:59 AM
Nomak
Advanced

GTRNICK

I saw your thread in the other forum. I highly recommend you go with Alpha turbos.We ran them for a years now with zero issues unlike modded vtgs ( overheat, stuck acctuator rods...etc )

Alpha's are straight bolt on, great response with more power even on pumpgas vs modded vtgs
Still cheaper and better than champion vtgs
Old 01-22-2013, 04:31 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GTRNICK
First of all here in the U.K. we have 99 octane straight out the pump!

Second of all I drive my car daily so for me to run race fuel on a daily basis I would have to own my own oil refinery lol

And thirdly you are on a different page to myself and I think the guy who started the thread so i agree with you there!

nice car and build by BTW
not the same, they messure fuel diffrent in the us, your 99 is approx the same as ther 95
Old 01-22-2013, 04:58 AM
Red9
Racer

Simple math.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Red9; 01-22-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:43 AM
GTRNICK
Racer

Thanks for you help.
Gosh that guy Wong comes across condescending!

Hopefully he doesn't comment on the thread again unless their is something worth coming out of his mouth through to his fingertips!!

Last edited by GTRNICK; 01-22-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Quick Reply: champion tuning