Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to do with my 2008 911 Turbo Cab ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 06:23 PM
leewamd
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do with my 2008 911 Turbo Cab ?

This is a cross post from 6speedonline

HI all:

Long time reader, first time posting. I would like you guys opinion on my 2008 Turbo cab. To make a long story short, I purchased a 2008 Turbo Cab from E-bay out of State in May, since then been having nothing but problems.

I bought the car sight unseen, for a decent price at that time, 2008 Turbo cab with 55k miles( I know mileage a bit high, but only 1 owner from CA, I am on LI NY). Inspection as well as DME read out are good,so I took the car for 67k.

The first few months I drove 2000 miles, no problem, then I had the infamous coolant hose leak, my good friend is a certified Porsche mechanics, he took everything down and fixed the leak, at that time change the clutch to sachs 2.5 clutch, also change the coil pack and spark plugs, water pump and thermostat, belt, since the engine was drop. Cost me a $$$$$.

one week later, the check engine light came on, reading error for a purge valve problem, my friend did a leak test and found out the EVAP value is stuck, replaced with no problem. Cheap fix

Meanwhile the PCM acting funny, lost it briefly for 2 weeks then came back and now still okay.

2 weeks later, the hydraulic spoiler on one side is not functioning( not raised to full height at 75 mph), my friend said again it is an easy fix.

I am just wondering what else could go wrong in the 6 months since I owned the car, my friend said when he dropped the engine everything looks perfect on the car, no signs of abuse. According to him the car is maintainence free for the next 20k miles other than oil change.

My questions are, should I keep the car or take my loss and get rid of it, I am almost up to 73k on this thing. I just don't feel like getting the turbo surprises on a monthly basis. I just wished I had waited and find a lower mileage car locally... oh well lesson learned.

btw how much do you think the car worth now ?

(ps: please don't flame me, my other car is 2009 GTR been performing perfect except for eating tires)
Old 01-09-2013, 09:44 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think you answered your own question.
Pump it!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Sorry but private sale $67K 08 TT cab with 55K miles on eBay would be my first red flag. But, having said that, based upon your description it appears you may have fixed many of your cars issues (probably known by the seller) I (personally) would keep it for awhile and see if it continues to cause problems. Your mechanic said it's good for another 20K so why not wait and see. Who knows, it could turn out to be a great car after all. JMHO

Last edited by 4ocious; 01-12-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,265 Likes on 584 Posts

Sorry to hear of your experience. I've had really nothing of any importance since I bought mine last August (18K miles) The clutch slave cylinder reservoir or something had been replaced before I bought and I've only repaired a tire since. Everything running perfectly. Hands down the best car I've owned so far?

I appreciate what you are going through - you begin to doubt your decision, drive the car in fear of something breaking etc... And I don't think the miles are high - there's a 996 TT w 125k over on 6speed so they last a LONG time.

I would suggest that you go spend more time in it. Flow it some ADMIRATION. Maybe its just PISSED OFF that you have the GTR. It's a dangerous game dating two women, no less two cars. My last C2S would break down with the oddest problems when ever I would go and test drive other cars. Crazy? Yep. So go hand wash yours, clay it, detail it out, give it the full body massage etc... and see how she runs.

Joel

P.s. Post us all some pics. We're junkies for pics...

Last edited by Zeus993; 01-13-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:50 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep its that GTR jinxing it...
Get rid of the GTR.

Seriously tho, and not being able to judge prices as I am far away, I think even 73 for a cab and an 08 isnt that bad, and all issues are fixed... I agree pamper her and enjoy her for the years to come. Your friend said its a clean car.

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:55 AM
mathys
Intermediate

Seems you fixed most of known problems with these cars. So keep it and enjoy it as it should be holding up well after getting those repairs out of the way....

Ps seems like a lot of repairs, but not much more than I personally would account for when buying a car with those miles.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:36 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Funny... My car had 40k when I bought it.. This board seems to thing that a TT with 50k is a problem child. Thats not the case.

If the car has been cared for and maintained properly it should feel like new..And Have no issues.. I drive the crap out of mine and have not had any problems except slave and accumulator for the clutch and a PCM issue (fixed under warranty.) I have 62k on it now, No issues at all.. Still have original clutch and it holds fine. no rattles , no squeaks. The best car I have ever had...

That being said I would never buy a car sight unseen unless I personally already knew the car and the owner..
Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you've taken care of all the glitches already.
Now you can enjoy the car as it was intended to be enjoyed.
Don't give up hope. I'm sure that it really is a great car and will bring you lots of joy.
Seems just like its a case of some strange incidents that have taken place close together.
Best of luck.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:10 PM
leewamd
8th Gear

Thanks for the kind words, I am leaning towards keeping it also, since I already did almost all the required scheduled stuffs. I do enjoy it a lot. When it is right, drove so well, that my GTR is collecting dust in the garage. my my how much i missed driving a stick shift.

Fortunately my good friend is a master mechanics, for example the EVAP leak, the test alone at the dealer cost several hundreds, he did it for free, lucky me...

guess I shouldn't complain too much and just enjoyed it...

what else need to be done prior to the magical 100k ?

Good one on the 2 super cars being 2 hot chicks comment, I hope the Japanese beauty queen don't start acting up also..
Old 01-12-2013, 12:22 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I'd say keep it and love it. Hope she behaves better for you!

Here's the maintenance list for 2009, should be identical for your 2008.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Maintenance List.pdf (117.9 KB, 339 views)

Quick Reply: what to do with my 2008 911 Turbo Cab ?