Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 to 997.2 Steering wheel Swap Done!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 12:37 AM
Nico.Hartono
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redefinedm3
Old post I know, BUT I am having an issue I think. The new wheel doesn't go on as far as the old wheel. It actually looks like the spline part of the wheel is deeper on the new one. Has nobody had this issue? Did I somehow get the wrong wheel? I already swapped the new electronic part out, but the wheel just doesn't sit back on as far as the factory one.

Stock Wheel:

New Wheel:

I actually have the same issue after the steering wheel swap. Any way to resolve the issue? Did i do something wrong during the installation? Is it dangerous to use the steering wheel in this condition (bolted)?
Old 04-27-2024, 01:44 PM
Chalaka
AutoX

Hi,

can you share a bit more on the process?

does it mean, the new module(997.613.289.01) needs to be coded first, then to select individual functions to activate ?

i have Foxwell NT510, wondering what menu/steps i need to do to get that module coded?

hope someone can help~~

currently stuck at the stage that, Horn works, clear all the codes, PSM working ..
but paddles and OBC stalk / cruise control not working
Old 05-01-2024, 11:12 PM
Chalaka
AutoX

Originally Posted by Chalaka
Hi,

can you share a bit more on the process?

does it mean, the new module(997.613.289.01) needs to be coded first, then to select individual functions to activate ?

i have Foxwell NT510, wondering what menu/steps i need to do to get that module coded?

hope someone can help~~

currently stuck at the stage that, Horn works, clear all the codes, PSM working ..
but paddles and OBC stalk / cruise control not working
didn't see the option to edit existing post, so to follow up on my own issue:
- i switched back to old switch control module.
- OBC stalk is working, horn is still working
- current assumption is that new control module needs to be coded with VIN? or meaning, to perform the "handhover" process under PIWIS
- so waiting for the deliver of ebay-sold PIWIS, and will try the "handover" process described by GPS website and report back.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:13 PM
travs_997
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

I did this upgrade. I found an inexpensive Sport Design Steering wheel with the airbag on ebay, so I figured I'd give it a shot. It ended up costing more than I thought though as I had problems with the first steering wheel module. It failed and caused all kinds of issues: PCM Error, the suspension went into extremely rough ride mode, etc... I had to have it towed to Porsche, but luckily the tech there was a pro and fixed it.

In the end, it is a worth while upgrade. It really does change the car. The steering wheel feels better too than the basic one that came in my 2009.

997 Turbo TipTronic with PDK Sport Design Steering wheel.

Old 05-07-2024, 01:54 PM
PumpkinRS.
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by eurotom
Well after months of research and debating over more bang for your buck mods I did it. Wifes Christmas present to me and the car. Thanks to those who provided input, I know its a "small" mod but it's completely changed the feel of the car. The interior looks and feel richer. Big thanks to Suncoast (Ric) and the Livermore Porsche Serivce Crew (Anthony Sunder and John B are awesome) Before and after pics.

If anyone is interested in my OEM wheel let me know. Cheers!
that’s lovely
Old 05-10-2024, 09:18 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 583 Likes on 350 Posts

you have an '09 - dont u have the new module?

Originally Posted by travs_997
I did this upgrade. I found an inexpensive Sport Design Steering wheel with the airbag on ebay, so I figured I'd give it a shot. It ended up costing more than I thought though as I had problems with the first steering wheel module. It failed and caused all kinds of issues: PCM Error, the suspension went into extremely rough ride mode, etc... I had to have it towed to Porsche, but luckily the tech there was a pro and fixed it.

In the end, it is a worth while upgrade. It really does change the car. The steering wheel feels better too than the basic one that came in my 2009.

Old 05-11-2024, 06:08 AM
travs_997
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

It would not work with the original module in my 2009. Maybe because mine is a TipTronic? I had to get a module out of a 2011 with PDK.
Old 05-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Stotle263
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hijacking this thread for a quick question. I have a 997.2 wheel for my 987.1, will I need a specific 911 airbag or can I use a Panamera airbag that fits all the same in these wheels? The connectors look to be the same as well for both airbags.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:40 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 583 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Stotle263
Hijacking this thread for a quick question. I have a 997.2 wheel for my 987.1, will I need a specific 911 airbag or can I use a Panamera airbag that fits all the same in these wheels? The connectors look to be the same as well for both airbags.
panamera/cayenne airbag will fit. they are the same (minus the part number)
Old 05-16-2024, 08:04 PM
Stotle263
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do I need to worry about any error codes or programming nuances when installing this upgrade or is it plug and play?

Quick Reply: 997.1 to 997.2 Steering wheel Swap Done!