Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercooler install help in NJ

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 02:43 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK got it back. .22tt Coolers on! All went well with the install, no hitches to report, but sorry no pics guys. Time was tight and I had the P tech do it along with my 4 year major service. Being a welcome customer I did pop in to see how it was progressing but saw no reason to sit and sweat out every solitary movement of the spanners. It looked in very capable and well equiped hands.

The ducting trimming exercise was straight forward and there were no issues with the female tubes requiring packing in the I/C outlets....so no felt tape necessary. My guess on that is there must be a slight change in the spigot sizes or intercooler outlets with some of the MY07 and earlier cars that manifests a problem with the .2tt coolers outlets being a touch larger in Dia for the tubes.....not that it cant be got around with a bit of packing. That's all it can be mindful that problem was experienced in Vics car.

Mine being an MY08 the tube sizes measured up the same dia as the .2tt outlets....a nice fit. I did use the new C clips and O rings which I had supplied as a precaution (being specifically for the .2tt coolers) but the C clips looked the same....altho maybe a touch tighter sprung. So basically just used the new C's and O's because they were there. But the end result was a nice firm snug fit.

Plugs were changed by undoing the two rear engine mounts (one nut off either side of the engine from underneath (not above) and then lowering the engine cradle unit about 2/2.5" to allow just enough room to get at the troublesome plugs. All the exhaust stays on as part of the lowered engine/cradle unit.

Coolers had to come off to gain access of course along with the coil packs to access the plugs and of course having all the right tools goes a long way. Using a hoist and an extension post jack for lowering position of the engine the job is not too painfull at all....although an experienced set of P tech hands that's done it more than once goes a heck of long way. This one was (and looked) nice and easy from the armchair lol.....although i did pay for the exercise....sigh....

Quick Reply: Intercooler install help in NJ