Sponsored by:

997.1 Turbo oil change...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 583 Posts
Default 997.1 Turbo oil change...

The C2S I had was an easy oil change. What about the 997.1 Turbo? I've searched and can't find much of a thread. Anybody have any experience, pics etc...?

Mobil vs Motul?

Thanks in advance,

Joel
Old 12-03-2012, 12:23 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
The C2S I had was an easy oil change. What about the 997.1 Turbo? I've searched and can't find much of a thread. Anybody have any experience, pics etc...?

Mobil vs Motul?

Thanks in advance,

Joel
See your October 22 post - I provided a link in response then.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:28 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Read horror stories about overfilling and pls be careful!
Mobile1 Turbo diesel is a favorite from what I read
Old 12-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Motul 5w40 for me
Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Zues,

There's no point me saying to you it's an easy job because it's depends on your experience and confidence. If you have changed your own oil on a N/A 997 you will be able to do it on a turbo for sure. There are guides on here and six speed that are very good.

You will need the tool for the filter case and new crush washers for the crankcase and oil tank. Kevin gives advice to pour one or two lts down the middle of the new filter before replacing the case. He also makes the point about removing fuel pump fuse if you find the thread he gives good advice.

The other thing that has been touched on is not over filling. Approx 8.5 lts should come out. I use 8 lts (2 in filter & 6 in main filler) and the start up and leave to idle for a couple of mins. I then add the other 0.5lts in 250ml increments until I reach the max mark on the indicator. 8.5 lts with a new filter is a pretty accurate figure in my experience.

Last thing I would say is oil recommendation. No doubt in my mind Motul 300v is a top oil but expensive and probably needs replacing earlier than most people care to change. I have used many and can say I am very happy using Millers nano drive 5/40. My turbo runs super smooth and quiet all the time. It is a triple ester oil and Millers have beaten the McLaren F1 team to an engineering award for their nano technology gearbox oil. Everyone has differing opinions on what products work well and it is one of the few things I would confidently endorse.

I honestly cannot see any Porsche owner being dissapointed by it! I think it will double in price when it catches on. One of the best known engine builders in the UK (Hartech) run their two race cars on it!

Hope this is helpful to you.

R.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:46 PM
RangerDick
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't imagine it is much different then a 996tt. Most don't drain the turbos, just the crank case and oil tank. Make sure you have a wrench to counter the torque on the oil tank when you remove the drain plug or you'll destroy the tank and be out a ton of money for a new tank. The oil comes out of the tank at a very rapid rate and can "overwhelm" some drain pans. A junk bucket is a good option if you have it up on ramps or a lift.

Check the 996tt forum for additional information and links. Here is a sticky link from the top of the page. LVDell has done a great job compiling the list:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...-diy-pics.html

There is a wealth of information. IMHO it is not that difficult. Good luck

Last edited by RangerDick; 12-04-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 12-05-2012, 02:24 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the help guys. Appreciate it. I have all the tools etc... Motul 300v and Millers (never heard of it) sounds interesting. I'll check it out.

Joel

Last edited by Zeus993; 12-05-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Millers is a Uk based company joel I don't know if anyone is importing in USA/Canada, no doubt someone will at some point. When I researched oil Motul 300v seemed to be top dog because the experts maintained the esters in the formula provided optimum lubricity and heat dispersion. Motul is double ester and Millers Nano tech is tri -ester based. I am absolutely convinced my car runs smoother on it and technically I am sure it provides max protection.

The fact they beat McLaren to a technical award is highly significant to me. Not trying to promote Millers but I am trying to help you with info that will make choosing a high quality brand for your pride and joy, easier. The Nano tech is currently half the price of 300v in Uk. The Motul most use is the Porsche approved 8100. Nano tech is not Porsche approved as yet but I believe a superior lubricant for the Turbo application.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Last edited by Glenmhor 1; 12-06-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-06-2012, 07:31 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenmhor 1
Millers is a Uk based company joel I don't know if anyone is importing in USA/Canada, no doubt someone will at some point. When I researched oil Motul 300v seemed to be top dog because the experts maintained the esters in the formula provided optimum lubricity and heat dispersion. Motul is double ester and Millers Nano tech is tri -ester based. I am absolutely convinced my car runs smoother on it and technically I am sure it provides max protection.

The fact they beat McLaren to a technical award is highly significant to me. Not trying to promote Millers but I am trying to help you with info that will make choosing a high quality brand for your pride and joy, easier. The Nano tech is currently half the price of 300v in Uk. The Motul most use is the Porsche approved 8100. Nano tech is not Porsche approved as yet but I believe a superior lubricant for the Turbo application.

Hope this helps.

Rob
Great info Rob Thank You!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

I'll check with my local indy guy. He was who I first heard about Motul from.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:46 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RangerDick
I Make sure you have a wrench to counter the torque on the oil tank when you remove the drain plug or you'll destroy the tank and be out a ton of money for a new tank.
this is VERY important
Old 12-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kosmo
this is VERY important
I can see that from the 996 post. Looks very easy to torque the whole tank. Thanks for everyones comments. It's a bit more complicated that the M97 but totally doable.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:22 PM
RangerDick
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the explanation about Millers...I thought for a moment you meant Miller Beer. Which is a mandatory tool for doing an oil change. Not Genuine Draft, merely High Life. A 30 pack at Lucky' s Supermarket is about right for an oil change. If you mix the beer and the oil just right, the recycler won't be able to tell the difference and take the whole jug without question. Keep us posted on your result.

Last edited by RangerDick; 12-07-2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 12-12-2012, 02:08 PM
911RufRT
Banned

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Thanks for the help guys. Appreciate it. I have all the tools etc... Motul 300v and Millers (never heard of it) sounds interesting. I'll check it out.

Joel
I've been using Motul 300V in all my cars for years and I love it. Its a little difficult to find locally but Designo Auto house in Richmond sometimes can get it, other wise order it on ebay for much better price.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Turbo oil change...