No AOS in a 997 TT, sorry.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts

Speed, have you datalogged your tune? Prior to the tune and with your tune? Can you see what your engine timing is doing? I have some pretty good datalogs with your fueling. Knock retard will produce the extra lambda fueling. The stock 997TT runs alot leaner vs the 996TT> this changes when the knock retard approaches 6 degrees of retard.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:22 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

73? Seems a bit high even for a CPO.

http://iphone.porschewest.com/index....ventoryListing
Old 11-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

I'm sorry but your post is too full of inaccuracies for me to respond in any detail. I simply do not have the time to cover your wrong points and to cover just a few will probably drag this out into a long and time consuming task for me and I do not have the time.

The OP has rejected the original car he had under consideration and rightly so. He has found and test driven another car which doesn't exhibit this smoking behavior and I also learn the oil pressure gage is not pegged like it was on the other car which suggests the other car's engine was filled with some very heavy oil to deceive.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:12 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Speed, have you datalogged your tune? Prior to the tune and with your tune? Can you see what your engine timing is doing? I have some pretty good datalogs with your fueling. Knock retard will produce the extra lambda fueling. The stock 997TT runs alot leaner vs the 996TT> this changes when the knock retard approaches 6 degrees of retard.
Haven't datalogged since i put the tune in actually nor kept the files as it was quite a while ago now but i do have Durametric so could always do one if need be....time permitting these days. It's an interesting point you raise regarding the timing though as there is relevance to the symptom. What's your thinking?
You've obviously done many logs so anything worth mentioning?

Re my engine. As i mentioned earlier it's been so long since mine has done it now but when the car was much newer it did do it quite a few times there at one stage in the game.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:09 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
I'm sorry but your post is too full of inaccuracies for me to respond in any detail. I simply do not have the time to cover your wrong points and to cover just a few will probably drag this out into a long and time consuming task for me and I do not have the time.

The OP has rejected the original car he had under consideration and rightly so. He has found and test driven another car which doesn't exhibit this smoking behavior and I also learn the oil pressure gage is not pegged like it was on the other car which suggests the other car's engine was filled with some very heavy oil to deceive.
.....well Macster if you don't agree with something why not put it on the table then? You're a man of very long winded posts so i can't see a lack of time being any excuse, so that said your post unfortunately comes across as "exit stage left" to me on some basis the OP's "not buying the car anyway now". Anyway....

Fwiw I don't claim to know every thing there is to possibly know in this field regardless of engine and component failure diagnosis being one of my daily activities for the past 30 years or more (not sure what your exposure is?). You see I actually like to still think i can learn something new every day too which is why it's so great being able to consult with real industry experts of the same ilk that share the same passion. Fortunately i have come to know some of the best in the biz over the years inc well known OE r and d divisions....all of which have been very educational if i may add. Sure I could have elaborated more about why i disagree with your droplet theory but the bottom line is where an AOS is concerned its very function is to "separate" the oil from the vapours and, where it isn't, other issues arise that are far more obvious than just a puff of white/grey smoke on the odd cold start. I have also had experience with many engines that have had far more primitive AOS' than a Porsche mezger engine....discussion for another day if you like. I've seen theories debunked and the problems solved on a few occasions now along with comments of "its normal" with culprits identified and problems now solved as well. So its good to analyse all the possibilities and eliminate them one by one through process of elimination in a bid to find those "elusive" answers. And this engine is still holding a hidden secret lol.

Quick Reply: smoke on test drive