Sponsored by:

Grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 01:56 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Grinding noise

So, I'm ripping up the Coast of CA yesterday afternoon and was in a part of the road where there was some loose gravel. A sudden gringing racket appears emanating form the passenger side of the vehicle. It sounded as if one of the old noise makers was going full force...remember the kind you would turn and the plastic gear would flip the metal tongue of the box....yet it sounded as if steel on steel. I slowed and it continued with less of a frequency then went away when I was a 50 mph. I pulled off the road to inspect and saw no signs of visible damage under the car, about the passenger side wheels, etc. After, the car performed magnificently as always. no problems with boost pressure, acceleration, nothing at all out of kilter.

So, I wondered, did I get a stone in my intake? If so, what happened to it? Did my car grind it to dust that doesnt matter any longer? Anyone else had a similar event? A foreign body in an intake? Any chance that there is damage somewhere that will rear its ugly head later?
Old 11-13-2012, 03:30 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

some gravel got caught up somewhere (brakes maybe?) I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as the car performs well and the noise doesn't return.

For peace of mind take it out tomorrow and give it a hard run and see how it performs. keep windows down and music off to listen for any sign of the grinding sound at both highway and city speeds. I'd bet it's nothing
Old 11-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by LewisB
So, I'm ripping up the Coast of CA yesterday afternoon and was in a part of the road where there was some loose gravel. A sudden gringing racket appears emanating form the passenger side of the vehicle. It sounded as if one of the old noise makers was going full force...remember the kind you would turn and the plastic gear would flip the metal tongue of the box....yet it sounded as if steel on steel. I slowed and it continued with less of a frequency then went away when I was a 50 mph. I pulled off the road to inspect and saw no signs of visible damage under the car, about the passenger side wheels, etc. After, the car performed magnificently as always. no problems with boost pressure, acceleration, nothing at all out of kilter.

So, I wondered, did I get a stone in my intake? If so, what happened to it? Did my car grind it to dust that doesnt matter any longer? Anyone else had a similar event? A foreign body in an intake? Any chance that there is damage somewhere that will rear its ugly head later?
Nothing got in the engine.

A piece of gravel got caught between the brake rotor and shield.

This has happened two times with my Boxster and so far not once with my Turbo.

The first time it was a twig -- the streets were littered with them from an ice storm. I managed to dislodge the twig by backing the car up and cutting the steering wheel full lock back and forth until the noise stopped.

The 2nd time when pulling into parking lot at work. This time I could not get the thing to dislodge and had to raise the car and remove the wheel (right front) and pry the shield away from the rotor a bit until a pea sized pyramid shaped piece of gravel fell out.

Now this is with cast iron brakes. If one has PCCBs and something like the above happens this could result in damage to the rotor even the pads, so as a precaution I would advise at the first signs of anything caught like this to stop and investigate first. Do not try to dislodge by continuing to drive the car.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:19 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

The first time it was a twig -- the streets were littered with them from an ice storm. I managed to dislodge the twig by backing the car up and cutting the steering wheel full lock back and forth until the noise stopped.

The 2nd time when pulling into parking lot at work. This time I could not get the thing to dislodge and had to raise the car and remove the wheel (right front) and pry the shield away from the rotor a bit until a pea sized pyramid shaped piece of gravel fell out.

Now this is with cast iron brakes. If one has PCCBs and something like the above happens this could result in damage to the rotor even the pads, so as a precaution I would advise at the first signs of anything caught like this to stop and investigate first. Do not try to dislodge by continuing to drive the car.
+1
Old 11-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 910 Likes on 548 Posts

+2
Old 11-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

Yep. Had this happen too. Imagining that my one of my PCCB's rotors had gone etc... but in the end looked like a piece of gravel that had gottne lodged between the rotar and the pad and some unlogged itself. Problem went away. All's well that ends well...

Last edited by Zeus993; 11-14-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:26 AM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys. Have been driving Porsche's for 11 years and never seen this one before. My baby is fine!!!!!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:15 AM
512bb
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

+3

Quick Reply: Grinding noise