Anyone know this car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 01:33 AM
rtc113
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default Anyone know this car?

http://www.porscheoflivermore.com/de...d-8998050.html

I'm not sure if this is a good buy or not. I called about it today and apparently it is having TPM sensors replaced. Suspiciously, the price went up after I called.

A couple of things stand out to me that I'm not sure about but I'd like to get some opinions from people who have more experience with these cars.

It looks like it has a carbon GMG airbox and I'm concerned that there may be other mods on the car.

Also, the dealer said they would CPO the car but would charge an additional 2900 to do that. The number seems high and IIRC I've always seen 2k thrown out as the actual cost to CPO a car.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:28 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by rtc113
http://www.porscheoflivermore.com/de...d-8998050.html

I'm not sure if this is a good buy or not. I called about it today and apparently it is having TPM sensors replaced. Suspiciously, the price went up after I called.

A couple of things stand out to me that I'm not sure about but I'd like to get some opinions from people who have more experience with these cars.

It looks like it has a carbon GMG airbox and I'm concerned that there may be other mods on the car.

Also, the dealer said they would CPO the car but would charge an additional 2900 to do that. The number seems high and IIRC I've always seen 2k thrown out as the actual cost to CPO a car.

Thanks for the help.
Looks like the car I spotted there a week or so back when I had my Boxster in for service. The car caught my eye but I do not know anything about it. It hadn't gone through any sales prep when I saw it.

The techs can tell you if the car has any mods. They spot these right away. A DME scan should be able to find if the thing has been flashed.

CPO cost... one hears all sorts of numbers. All I know is my 03 Turbo was CPO'd and listed -- at another dealer -- for $62K and I bought it for $57.7K.

Also, FWIW, when I was shopping Turbos back in 09 I found cars listed on autotrader, at the dealer web site, and even on the lot sometimes with different prices. Also, prices at these places went up and down over a span of a few weeks or so with no real pattern or reason.

I just tracked the few cars I had on my short list and noted the lowest price at any source to help me set my upper price limit.

Go kick the tires and light the fires. Friday AM is donut time. Save me a chocolate glazed one if you get there before me.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:08 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like a nice car.. Price is right.. I'm sure the dealer has at least one or two grand to move with. If you like the car see if you can get it for $70k with the CPO and negotiate from there. The CMG box is not really a "mod" it's just eye candy for the engine bay and has no performance gain..
Old 11-07-2012, 03:57 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Car looks clean, go with CPO either way and negotiate accordingly. As Macster mentioned have the dealer provide DME readout and cover the costs. Also negotiate even further if they drilled through the front bumper for the license plate.

I get my car serviced here and will never go anywhere else they're great, not sure about sales team.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:13 AM
ciaranr
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi rtc113,

I saw this car in person about a month ago. It had some overspray on the front grill - not well done.
It has a small mark that looked like a cigarette burn inside on the plastic trim and smelled a little of smoke. I walked....
Good luck.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:06 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ciaranr
Hi rtc113,

I saw this car in person about a month ago. It had some overspray on the front grill - not well done.
It has a small mark that looked like a cigarette burn inside on the plastic trim and smelled a little of smoke. I walked....
Good luck.
Good feedback ciarnar. smoke, cigarette burns and overspray = $70K. if this was clean all around would be >$75K dealer pricing
Old 11-09-2012, 01:48 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Ah ha... The truth comes out.. I know that something was wrong with that price... Run away from that one..
Old 11-10-2012, 12:47 AM
rtc113
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback guys that will save me a drive. I really appreciate it.

Any insight into what first gen 997tt's are selling for? There appears to be a lot of variance in the asking prices. I'm definitely not looking for a garage queen but I don't want a beater either.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:56 PM
phillipj
Drifting

You should be able to find a very nice low mile well optioned example for around $75k. At least I know you can here in Los Angeles.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:20 PM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Also, I doubt that the car ONLY had a GMG airbox. That's not a great first mod, and I would look very carefully for other bits. reflash, exhaust, etc. Has an aftermarket bluetooth solution and it looks like a built in radar detector. I bet it had other mods that were removed. Not necessarily a bad thing, but definitely check out the workman ship carefully
Old 11-14-2012, 06:29 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by kitwetzler
Also, I doubt that the car ONLY had a GMG airbox. That's not a great first mod, and I would look very carefully for other bits. reflash, exhaust, etc. Has an aftermarket bluetooth solution and it looks like a built in radar detector. I bet it had other mods that were removed. Not necessarily a bad thing, but definitely check out the workman ship carefully
+1

Quick Reply: Anyone know this car?