997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 TT vs. 993 TT

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012 | 04:43 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Yeah, that is Rahal's ALMS car. Hung out in the Paddock on practice day Friday and took a bunch of photos at the Baltimore ALMS race this year.

I should have indicated why I couldn't DD my 997TT --- I have to haul clients alot and go to client sites. The 997TT (or any 911) was just too ostentatious for the business I am in (Banking).
Old 11-15-2012 | 05:35 PM
Marshy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
Re stable resale values , the 997tt/1 will (like its GT3/2 sisters) become a sought after car and therefor will be likely to keep value.
But like Nick said, too many around to move to 993TT territory but who cares about that?Many more people will be able to afford a 997TT/1 because of it and this fact alone will be also contributing to stable prices, albeit at a lower level.
If I can make a wild guess a 997tt/1 will be worth 70 to 80% compared to a similar condition 993TT.
Although I suspect the '09 will be much closer in value in years to come.
I agree, the 993 is a very good looking Porsche but if you take romance and nostalgia out of the equation I believe the 997 design is much more coherent.

Furthermore Porsche did the 997 a huge favor by making the 991.(and no, not because the 991 is bad, just so different)
In time the 997 (especially the GT3/2 and turbos) will become iconic and loved in the same manner the 993 is today.

I used to own a 993S so can't compare turbo power. But I have no regret whatsoever selling to 993 so I could get (back) in to a 997 turbo.

Good luck with your decision. I know it's not easy but rest assured you'll love the 997 tt.
Who cares about whether the 997TT will move to the same level as the 993TT. Well clearly you're hoping it does, as in your prior post you predict the 997TT will be "iconic" and "loved in the same manner as the 993 is today".

Personally, I think the 997TT is a great car, but I don't think it'll ever achieve the cachet the 993TT has as the end of the air-cooled line with it's classic shape and feel.

The production numbers may play into this as Nick has mentioned, but it will also have to do with the fact that the similar looks of the forthcoming 991TT and the improved tech will soon make people forget the 997TT. Won't take away from the fact it's a solid car. Just not a classic.

Just my $0.02.

Geoff
Old 11-15-2012 | 06:15 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

The only way it will become a classic is if people dont move away from the car when the thrill of the newest and best 991tt finally wears...only time will tell....I dont miss my 993tt and I had pain when I traded it towards the 997tt....Im really enjoying the 997tt...
Old 11-15-2012 | 06:17 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

What made people really dig the 993 was helped by the terrible 996 that followed...People thought ...well its over....but the 997 shows that it aint over.
Old 11-15-2012 | 07:10 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Marshy
Just my $0.02.
Geoff
There is a huge difference between emotional value and monetary value, it seems you are missing that. You are taking statements completely out of context.

And btw, I am not 'hoping'. I am convinced the 997tt/1 will become as iconic as the 993. Does that mean same monetary value ? Again, I don't think so but again, who cares !! For sure I do not.

Hopes this makes it easier for you to understand.

It's all so unimportant and irrelevant anyway, some (you) like and prefer the 993, some (I) prefer a 997TT.
Old 11-15-2012 | 07:37 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
I have a 997 TT and although no 993 TT but I do have a 964 Turbo.

I can say this though, If i have to sell one of the two, it would have to be the 997 TT

Taking the 997 TT out is like a normal daily driver, it's refined,smooth,linear power and pretty easy to drive.

On the other hand, taking the 964 Turbo out is an entirely different experience. It's loud, bare minimal interior, is rough and is an explosive to drive that brings a big grin from ear to ear every time I take it out.

Let me tell you a little story:

Took the kids 9/10 to school the other day and there was a 5th grader who opened up the door to get the daughter out from the front seat. She later told me, the kid was telling his friends that her Dad drives a Porsche.

To check the kid out, I drove my White 997 TT the following day and the same kid happened to be there. He didn't get to open the door but he he did see the car.

Asked daughter later in the day if the kid mentioned anything about the white TT and she said nope So go figure
That's a great story. When I was a yourng man my friends father had a white 4 speed 964 turbo. He would let us have it on the weekends (crazy I know.) I will never forget that car.. It was amazing... And no we never crashed it...
Old 11-15-2012 | 07:40 PM
atcbi5
Banned

I have had two Porsches before the 997tt. Loved them both a 1997 993 Carrera S and a 1993 RS America. I enjoyed them and took very good care of them. But, the 997 style is forever my favorite. My 997 TT is my favorite of Porsche. I absolutely love the whole car! Nothing to dislike, the other ones had their little problems.
Old 11-15-2012 | 08:00 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by amerlemans
Yeah, that is Rahal's ALMS car. Hung out in the Paddock on practice day Friday and took a bunch of photos at the Baltimore ALMS race this year.

I should have indicated why I couldn't DD my 997TT --- I have to haul clients alot and go to client sites. The 997TT (or any 911) was just too ostentatious for the business I am in (Banking).
Totally understand.. I used to work for a large investment firm.. Now I work for a small hedge fund... No clients.. No sales.. No suits...I just research companies and choose stocks to buy.. So the TT is perfect...It makes me smile..

Thanks for the info on that M3. That must have been cool.. As much as Im a Porsche fanatic that ALMS M3 is a wicked machine. One of the best looking race cars around...In fact I think tthe 3 series is the only good looking BMW left! OOOps... I hope I haven't offended anyone..
Old 11-15-2012 | 08:01 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

my old vs my new...tt's
Attached Images   
Old 11-15-2012 | 10:14 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Two beautiful machines ^^^^^............good lord, I love that pinched waist and hips on the 993 widebody.
Old 11-15-2012 | 10:17 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phillipj
Totally understand.. I used to work for a large investment firm.. Now I work for a small hedge fund... No clients.. No sales.. No suits...I just research companies and choose stocks to buy.. So the TT is perfect...It makes me smile..

Thanks for the info on that M3. That must have been cool.. As much as Im a Porsche fanatic that ALMS M3 is a wicked machine. One of the best looking race cars around...In fact I think tthe 3 series is the only good looking BMW left! OOOps... I hope I haven't offended anyone..
Good for you brother and congrats!!!

Funny, even when I had my former Z06 and 997TT, I always felt the ALMS M3 was the most beautiful car in the race (well,...outside of the F430) The sound is sublime as well. Got a couple short videos of it up close and it is wicked.
Old 11-15-2012 | 10:30 PM
Marshy
Rennlist Member

There is a huge difference between emotional value and monetary value, it seems you are missing that. You are taking statements completely out of context.

And btw, I am not 'hoping'. I am convinced the 997tt/1 will become as iconic as the 993. Does that mean same monetary value ? Again, I don't think so but again, who cares !! For sure I do not.

Hopes this makes it easier for you to understand.

It's all so unimportant and irrelevant anyway, some (you) like and prefer the 993, some (I) prefer a 997TT.
Denis,

I'm not misunderstanding anything here. I like both cars for different reasons and I've stated as much in my earlier post where I mention that my desire would be to own both vehicles as they serve different purposes.

In terms of the potential iconic status of the 997TT, this remains to be proven. So it's merely a matter of your opinion whether this is borne out. I might need a little more objective evidence than you're "convinced" it will become an icon. Call me a skeptic. Last of the Mezger GT1 engines used on the turbo platform is a start, but I'm not sure it will push it into the stratosphere of the Porsche classics. It's not an irrelevant discussion. This is what forums like this are for.

The lower production numbers driving demand, relative stability of prices, and cases of increasing value in well documented, low mileage examples with the 993TT platform are proof of it's popularity worldwide. Again, just a matter of opinion whether it is truly iconic, but it does register somewhere on this scale.

Here's to us both (hopefully) enjoying the increasing value of the 997TT someday !

Geoff
Old 11-15-2012 | 10:35 PM
Marshy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by strato58
my old vs my new...tt's
Both gorgeous examples Strato ! Love the contrasting interior choice on these cars.

Geoff
Old 11-16-2012 | 03:26 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

THe current 997.2 S is a more equitable comparison to the 993TT. I have had both and the 997TT (.2) with PDK is just on a nother level of performance. But in power the C2S has ~400hp and better tq numbers than the 993TT not to mention all the electronic nannies it has. So its a difficult choice.
Just my opinion.
Old 11-16-2012 | 09:48 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marshy
Both gorgeous examples Strato ! Love the contrasting interior choice on these cars.

Geoff
Thanks Geoff...that irus blue/red was something.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: 997 TT vs. 993 TT