Sponsored by:

New Turbo Exhaust - early Christmas Present

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 04:33 AM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Sorry kit...didnt mean you were tone deaf. And i was only referring to what 99% of Porsche owners expect but maybe the demographic is different over in my parts...

Anyway....if people like drone that fine in my books....each to their own poison eh
If you don't like drone, you should definitely avoid stiffer motor mounts. I really like my RSS mounts but they definitely take any drone and amplify it at cruise. Even my Europioe drones a bit with the motor mounts.

I hear you about expectations. The 997.1 turbo is very sensitive to drone. My 997.2 C2S had a tubi exhaust and it was loud and obnoxious when you were accelerating hard but shut up on the freeway, no drone at all. The turbo seems much more sensitive to it, most loud exhausts are going to drone.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:47 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kitwetzler
If you don't like drone, you should definitely avoid stiffer motor mounts. I really like my RSS mounts but they definitely take any drone and amplify it at cruise. Even my Europioe drones a bit with the motor mounts.

I hear you about expectations. The 997.1 turbo is very sensitive to drone. My 997.2 C2S had a tubi exhaust and it was loud and obnoxious when you were accelerating hard but shut up on the freeway, no drone at all. The turbo seems much more sensitive to it, most loud exhausts are going to drone.
Funny you mention that about the C2S. I too had a 997C2S and had the tubi mufflers inc headers and the car never droned. It sounded quite good actually which is why i went with the tubi on the 997tt thinking i was going to be in for a similar experience. Fool me eh. Oh well.... i live and learn. But re the tubi on the 997S, in hindsight after hearing how much additional performance the EP gave on that car i should have ponied up and got that instead. Apparently the EP for that car is a real blinder. The Tubi didn't really do anything power wise on the S in fact on the TT removed power through the midrange up to red. the EP on the other hand gave it more and felt crisper everywhere.

Re the 997tt . being sensitive to drone, that is 100% correct....which is why it is so hard to get a system that is super loud on the outside not to drone on the inside. I'm quite surprised how EP has managed to eliminate the drone yet allow the outside volume to increase to way it has. As i said, i've had quite a few now tell me how loud the car sounds at WOT from the outside yet the car is surprisingly quite tame on the inside...which is good for me. I think much louder and you start placing the car into the category where it becomes a chore to drive on long trips and with people on board, and therein lies a big problem.:
Old 11-03-2012, 07:10 AM
Chriss_kline
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read here about bigger cats and backpressure. Sorry to say but it s completely wrong. oversized cats create more pressure, there is an optimum gas velocity to create the lowest pressure within any closed system, drastic enlargements in cross section actually produce a partial pressure increase, causing turbo lag. for example, yes 3 inch and larger pipe will perform better than stock, but this is not the optimum.
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2012, 11:51 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kitwetzler
The Europipe is, at least to me, barely louder than stock. Sounds more aggressive but could pass for a stockish exhaust, where all the other exhausts I tried are clearly aftermarket and drone more. I'm happy with the Europipe, but I sure wish there was a switch to make it sound like the GMG or EB Werks when you want it to.
This is very important to understand, and thanks for the note. If / when I do an exhaust it has to be loud. loud at idle and loud at WOT, and it needs to blurb and pop and sound like it's ready to rumble. all this with no error codes please. which of these do you recommend given my parameters? thx
Old 11-03-2012, 01:19 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 69 Posts

Chriss Kline, what is the optimum pipe size 2.5" 2.75" 3" ?? For a 997.1 turbo...
Old 11-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Chriss_kline
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strato58 we use 2.5 pipe size. We also tested with bigger sizes but you loose torque. Our 997tt system with decat hase a 42hp gain, no uprgade on map. Even with hybrid turbo s we still recommend 2.5 inch.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:06 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Uses the $10K Akrapovic Titanium exhaust, no?
Terry no the RS doesn't come with the Akropovic.. My friend has one and although the stock system sounded amazing he had to get the Akropovic anyway... Go figure...
Old 11-03-2012, 03:10 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chriss_kline
Strato58 we use 2.5 pipe size. We also tested with bigger sizes but you loose torque. Our 997tt system with decat hase a 42hp gain, no uprgade on map. Even with hybrid turbo s we still recommend 2.5 inch.
Chris can you PM me regarding price for the catted version to ship to Los Angeles?

Thanks !!!
Old 11-03-2012, 03:24 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by speed21
Funny you mention that about the C2S. I too had a 997C2S and had the tubi mufflers inc headers and the car never droned. It sounded quite good actually which is why i went with the tubi on the 997tt thinking i was going to be in for a similar experience. Fool me eh. Oh well.... i live and learn. But re the tubi on the 997S, in hindsight after hearing how much additional performance the EP gave on that car i should have ponied up and got that instead. Apparently the EP for that car is a real blinder. The Tubi didn't really do anything power wise on the S in fact on the TT removed power through the midrange up to red. the EP on the other hand gave it more and felt crisper everywhere.

Re the 997tt . being sensitive to drone, that is 100% correct....which is why it is so hard to get a system that is super loud on the outside not to drone on the inside. I'm quite surprised how EP has managed to eliminate the drone yet allow the outside volume to increase to way it has. As i said, i've had quite a few now tell me how loud the car sounds at WOT from the outside yet the car is surprisingly quite tame on the inside...which is good for me. I think much louder and you start placing the car into the category where it becomes a chore to drive on long trips and with people on board, and therein lies a big problem.:
Speed makes a very good point.. The choice of exhaust note really depends on how you use your car. If you go on long trips with family and such a "loud" exhaust is unacceptable... That is why the EP is so well liked. It is docile until made angry..

But for someone like me who drives alone (and usually at a rapid rate) 96% of the time, a loud (somewhat obnoxious exhaust (all the time) is what I want.. I don't take my TT on long trips nor am I really concerned about what my wife thinks about the sound. It's my toy and I get to do what I want with it. It don't really care what anyone thinks or what "they would put on their car".. It very similar to wheels.. A very personal choice..

When I'm at WOT my Techart scares the elderly and small children.., Yet is still is not aggressive enough for me. I will do a sound video and post it..

This exhaust debate will never end.....

It's interesting to see the different thought process the tuners use when constructing an exhaust. I had been told by many many people that 3 inch tubing was the way to go.. But now Chris Kline chimes in (with a formula to back it up ) and says that 2.5 tubing actually performs better..

It starts to get very confusing. I am going to get another exhaust. Just not sure which one it will be yet... My search continues.....
Old 11-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 909 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
Terry no the RS doesn't come with the Akropovic.. My friend has one and although the stock system sounded amazing he had to get the Akropovic anyway... Go figure...
I saved a pdf from Porsche (wish I had the link) and found this on the GT2:

1.2 The main highlights
Overview
Entire vehicle
Body
Drive
Chassis
Interior
• Best power-to-weight ratio among the current Porsche standard production vehicles
and the competition
• Best performance among the current Porsche standard production vehicles
• Unique GT2 vehicle design with large rear wing
• Aerodynamic downforce on the front and rear axles
• Highest engine output among the current Porsche standard production sports cars
(390 kW/530 bhp)
• 6-cylinder biturbo engine with variable turbine geometry (VTG)
• Expansion intake system
• Rear silencer and tailpipes of light-weight titanium
• Launch Assistant
• Porsche Stability Management (PSM)
(with sporty tuning and, for the first time, a two-stage complete switch-off function)
• Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) adjustable damper system (sporty tuning)
• Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) – as standard
• Sports bucket seats (Racing bucket seats with folding backrest and integrated thorax airbag
and manual fore/aft adjustment)
__
and
"It is also assisted by the newly constructed titanium rear silencer with a
reduced flow resistance, ..."
__no idea where I got that pdf, or how to post the link to the whole thing, but it was a comparison to the TT.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Last edited by Terry Adams; 11-03-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:59 PM
phillipj
Drifting

I believe that is correct Terry.. Porsche's RS exhaust is titanium but it"s made by Porsche..
Old 11-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 909 Likes on 547 Posts

I believe that is correct Terry.. Porsche's RS exhaust is titanium but it"s made by Porsche..
OK, got it.

I love Titanium.

Got some in my left hip couple years ago.

Getting another in the right next Tuesday.

Alignment + corner balance and good to go!
Old 11-03-2012, 07:42 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 69 Posts

im having 3" 911tuning exhaust installed on monday...dont know what to believe....everyone recommends a different size...
you recommend 2.5" what size is stock??
Old 11-03-2012, 09:23 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

But for someone like me who drives alone (and usually at a rapid rate) 96% of the time, a loud (somewhat obnoxious exhaust (all the time) is what I want.. I don't take my TT on long trips nor am I really concerned about what my wife thinks about the sound.

It starts to get very confusing. I am going to get another exhaust. Just not sure which one it will be yet... My search continues.....
You need EP stage 2, not for sensitive ears !

Also I think people should consider this too as it is important (taken from Europipe website): The heatshields around our catalytic convertors allow for quicker heat up during cold start and to prevent them from thermal shocks. The muffler heat shields reflect radiant heat away from the engine timing belts.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:53 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Logarithms aside, I find it hard to imagine EP's larger Dia cats being counter productive in the flow dept. Where pipe Dia is concerned i would have thought a larger pipe would still be better in creating better flow up until such point the air space in the tube/length interfered with the scavenging effect. Anyway.....i'm all ears open.

Quick Reply: New Turbo Exhaust - early Christmas Present