Sponsored by:

New Turbo Exhaust - early Christmas Present

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 08:04 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rrm
You know guys, my stock exhaust sound, while not "blow you down loud" is really not that timid. If I had not read virtually everywhere that it is not v8ish enough I would never have given it a second thought...rrm
Then drive a stock 911 and or GT3 and you will see what everyone is talking about. The stock turbo .1tt note doesn't even sound like a Porsche.

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
This is all so personal, but I heard a Tubi and did not like it.

Heard a Europipe and bought one.

YouTube sound clips are not the way to test listen.

So anyone in my area wants to hear mine, PM.
To take it one step further. I bought a new Tubi street and found out first hand what a lousy POS system it really was. In fact it was so bad I booted it off even though it meant me having to eat a lot of dollars in the process. The way i figured, life's simply not long enough to be puting up driving such a brilliant car with a such a monumentally overrated POS system like that on it. Is it even worth even 1/4 of the money they ask for it new? Nope....its total crap in every way. Now, would i recommend a Tubi for a 997TT? Well...not unless i really hated someone. Now Europipe on the other hand, (as you and many other here know), is the real deal....no question about that.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:22 AM
kitwetzler
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

So far, I've had :
- AWE
- Milltek
- EB Werks
- GMG
- Europipe

The GMG and EB Werks, being x pipe designs, clearly sound the best to me. They have that piercing high pitched howl, with glorious burbles and stuff. I never tried the EB Werks with mufflers, I suspect it will be similar to the GMG, which was loud, but tolerable for me... but too loud for my family, especially under cruise where they all drone to some extent.

This is the EB Werks - camera is inside the car, but the microphone is near the license plate, right between the exhausts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiieq_mdtTM#!

The Europipe is, at least to me, barely louder than stock. Sounds more aggressive but could pass for a stockish exhaust, where all the other exhausts I tried are clearly aftermarket and drone more. I'm happy with the Europipe, but I sure wish there was a switch to make it sound like the GMG or EB Werks when you want it to.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:13 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Sounds horrible. Maybe that's why Porsche decided to muffle it. My system is stock and I am not changing it. I see many here going from exhaust system to exhaust system. Not seeming to be happy with their selection. I would not want my system to sound like the above. I would be pissed beyond belief
Old 11-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Chriss_kline
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No offence but werks exhaust sounds really rough. Common mistake in exhaust tuners, unbalanced and big bore systems.

911 turbo can sound really good
Old 11-02-2012, 01:49 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Rob,

Can't wait to hear about your impressions of the Kline system..I'm interested in it as well..
Old 11-02-2012, 02:03 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by atcbi5
Sounds horrible. Maybe that's why Porsche decided to muffle it. My system is stock and I am not changing it. I see many here going from exhaust system to exhaust system. Not seeming to be happy with their selection. I would not want my system to sound like the above. I would be pissed beyond belief

Wow I have to agree.. That sounds really nasty. The GMG system sounds awesome. So does the FVD exhaust and the Europipe as well. I like the Speed Tech too.. I like a loud exhaust but it has to be tuned properly. My Techart system sounds nice but is too mild for me.. I want something with more growl and larger diameter tubing..

Looking forward to hearing more about Robs Kline system..
Old 11-02-2012, 02:09 PM
phillipj
Drifting

As far as Porsche "muffling" their turbo engine because it doesn't sound good...I don't think that is correct... They (Porsche) have enormous hurdles to jump over when it comes to meeting decibel standards in the US and Europe. I doubt the Porsche engineers were happy with the way the 997-1 sounded when it left the factory.

Have you heard the GT2 RS? Basically the same engine as the 997-1 but the exhaust note is awesome...It can be done.....
Old 11-02-2012, 02:16 PM
kitwetzler
Racer

Originally Posted by phillipj
Wow I have to agree.. That sounds really nasty. The GMG system sounds awesome. So does the FVD exhaust and the Europipe as well. I like the Speed Tech too.. I like a loud exhaust but it has to be tuned properly. My Techart system sounds nice but is too mild for me.. I want something with more growl and larger diameter tubing..

Looking forward to hearing more about Robs Kline system..
I think you guys are just reacting to hearing the car from outside. It sounds very similar to the GMG system.

I thought about the Kline system, but ended up with the Europipe, since it has the much larger 100 cell cats, vs the 200 cell most people use. The cats are likely the biggest restriction in the system and I really like Stef's approach to making them huuuuge. The lack of backpressure in his system shows. (30%+ less than the Techart system)
Old 11-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
Have you heard the GT2 RS? Basically the same engine as the 997-1 but the exhaust note is awesome...It can be done.....
Uses the $10K Akrapovic Titanium exhaust, no?
Old 11-03-2012, 03:38 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by kitwetzler
So far, I've had :
- AWE
- Milltek
- EB Werks
- GMG
- Europipe

The GMG and EB Werks, being x pipe designs, clearly sound the best to me. They have that piercing high pitched howl, with glorious burbles and stuff. I never tried the EB Werks with mufflers, I suspect it will be similar to the GMG, which was loud, but tolerable for me... but too loud for my family, especially under cruise where they all drone to some extent.

This is the EB Werks - camera is inside the car, but the microphone is near the license plate, right between the exhausts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiieq_mdtTM#!

The Europipe is, at least to me, barely louder than stock. Sounds more aggressive but could pass for a stockish exhaust, where all the other exhausts I tried are clearly aftermarket and drone more. I'm happy with the Europipe, but I sure wish there was a switch to make it sound like the GMG or EB Werks when you want it to.
Have to agree with actib5. That EB sounds truly woeful (and i mean woeful in the worst possible way) so i can see exactly why you punted it into touch along with those other systems. Driving a car with any level of drone, is simply unsustainable....unless you are tone deaf.

I've been reminded by many from the "outside" my EP is way more than loud enough...so its definitely working. Me, well i can't comment because i'm not standing on the sidewalk.....to busy enjoying driving. One day i'll learn how to drive and stand on the sidewalk at the same time lol.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:47 AM
speed21
Banned

I think you guys are just reacting to hearing the car from outside. It sounds very similar to the GMG system.
No.....only reacting as anyone would react after hearing such a terrible sound. No offence but imho on a Porsche that kind of system is pure vandalism...although perhaps excusable on a cheap ricer...

And on the GMG I figured that much.....hence why you booted it off...but not to worry, others have also given it the heave too as well, so you're not alone. Most of these types of systems are getting "old" now and most 997tt.1 owners are tiring of winding up with a nasty headache and an empty wallet as a consequence of listening to vendor assurances. The 997tt.1 deserves the right system and there are solutions out there if not very few....well one or two that i'm aware of anyway... I believe akra is a solution as well as EP.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:15 AM
kitwetzler
Racer

^ Not all of us are tone deaf.

I'm glad you have your opinions, just make sure to realize not everyone agrees with what you like and what you can tolerate. Like I said, sans wife and kids, the GMG was a perfectly acceptable level of loudness to me. Don't tell me what I like, but by all means, tell me what you like and dislike. the Europipe is nice if you want something that can pass for a stock exhaust. Lots of people would like something more aggressive. I know I'd prefer if I could open a valve or something on my Europipe to make it louder at WOT.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:17 AM
speed21
Banned

Agree....horrible.

And yes i was definitely pissed! Thank F i didn't have to go through more than the one very painful experience as my next port of call would have been the return of the stock system had EP not delivered 100%.

So If your system is stock then know now there are real solutions out there that allow the car to be liveable whilst increasing excitement and driver pleasure. The folks you see regularly going from system to system are real people who have acknowledged the shortfalls of the stock system yet have been sadly conned by vendors seeking profit from systems that basically in essence have no place on a Porsche and, which at best belong in the scrap bucket....or better still over someones head.....or shoved up something. Yes it is true many of us have toasted hard earned dollars only to later find we have been totally rear ended, yet have dusted ourselves off and continued our journey in hope of finding the promised land. At this stage, it is becoming increasingly evident more and more weary 997tt.1 guinea pigs have found their final resting place in Belgium somewhere at a place called EP.

Look at it in this light. The pioneers have done all the hard work for you.... so the astute internet researcher can reap the benefit of hard earned lessons. Alternatively you can keep the vacuum cleaner, or....endure further torture via expensive experimentation and assurances.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:20 AM
speed21
Banned

Old 11-03-2012, 04:21 AM
speed21
Banned

^ Not all of us are tone deaf.

I'm glad you have your opinions, just make sure to realize not everyone agrees with what you like and what you can tolerate. Like I said, sans wife and kids, the GMG was a perfectly acceptable level of loudness to me. Don't tell me what I like, but by all means, tell me what you like and dislike.
Sorry kit...didn't mean you were tone deaf. And i was only referring to what 99% of Porsche owners appear to expect but maybe the demographic is different over in my parts....

Anyway....if people like drone that's fine in my books....each to their own poison eh

Quick Reply: New Turbo Exhaust - early Christmas Present