Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Turbo Exhaust - early Christmas Present

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 10:29 PM
strato58
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts

I agree speed I want loud but I dont want too much drone...thankfully there is absolutely non with this system at 3000 and above either light or heavy footed...If your heavy footed at 2000 to 2700 its there...
Im going with the protomotive tune. I think you have one if im not mistaken? whats your take? Ive heard nothing but good things about Todd K.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:32 PM
strato58
Pro

Also im pretty sure the 200 cell cats would eliminate the CEL because Markski told me they would. He said no guarantees with the 100 cells though...Problem is 200 cell is too restricted and too quiet.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:47 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by strato58
I agree speed I want loud but I dont want too much drone...thankfully there is absolutely non with this system at 3000 and above either light or heavy footed...If your heavy footed at 2000 to 2700 its there...
Im going with the protomotive tune. I think you have one if im not mistaken? whats your take? Ive heard nothing but good things about Todd K.
Yep. The dreaded drone zone is from 1800 to 3000....and an ill concieved noisy system can't escape that. Anything over or under that generally you should be fine though. Problem is a lot of the driving sees the engine in that zone unfortuantely. Blame it on the torque of the engine lol. Seems the louder the exhaust the volume of the drone increases in the "zone" too. It's being able to increase that exterior noise without increasing the interior resonance that appears to be the major battle for most.

On the Proto, i'm pretty happy with it. You won't go wrong with it. Probably one of the better ones to use if you plan doing turbos and other upgrades down the track i suppose. I'm sure there are also other tunes out there that are good too. I don't have any plans to do turbos myself so I actually quite like the sound of the APR which also has the switching on the fly feature. Seems to have the edge on the other stage 1's too with the power especially with 100 oct file. The Greek boys rave about it and has a real fast 60 to 130 time...see member skandalis447 sig. Pretty quick for a tune without turbo upgrades.

Also im pretty sure the 200 cell cats would eliminate the CEL because Markski told me they would. He said no guarantees with the 100 cells though...Problem is 200 cell is too restricted and too quiet.
Strato sounds to me like you just need to remove those cats altogether and go for max loud lol. JK...
Old 11-13-2012, 10:17 AM
strato58
Pro

speed, not to hijack this exhaust thread but that APR tune looks interesting and i have not researched it before. Their claimed numbers (im interested in 93 octane because thats all I can get) are they at the wheels or at the crank?
thanks for your help...
Old 11-13-2012, 10:51 AM
strato58
Pro

OK back onto the exhaust topic, I really dont understand this stuff too well so please bare with me. Isn't the CEL just proof positive that the exhaust you purchased is actually doing what its suppose to do? Flow more exhaust gasses? Is it possible that EP is more restrictive thus the lack of a CEL?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:36 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Strato ,.. My understanding is that the less restrictive cats send diffrent cat perameters to the ECU thus creating a CEL. A lamen could mistakenly read the produced code as a bad cat. The bung o2 sensor extensions bring the cat perameters back to acceptable levels for the ECU. Hence no more code.

There are lots of good tunes out there.. Protomotives biggest advantage is you load it your self and keep your stock file (same with Softronic). Also Todd gives you 4 or 5 revisions for no charge. Softronic is similar but I believe you only get 2 revisons.

If you plan on doing more mods down the road Todd's tune is the way to go..

I think you may load the FVD tune yourself as well but I'm not sure...
Old 11-13-2012, 02:00 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My used europipe pics for reference. Had 10k Kms on it when Stef refurbished and sent it to me.

Tools included

And stock

Old 11-13-2012, 02:53 PM
kitwetzler
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

OK back onto the exhaust topic, I really dont understand this stuff too well so please bare with me. Isn't the CEL just proof positive that the exhaust you purchased is actually doing what its suppose to do? Flow more exhaust gasses? Is it possible that EP is more restrictive thus the lack of a CEL?
No. There are lots of reasons for a CEL, and the most common reason is cat efficiency - this means the cat isn't burning the emissions off.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:16 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by kitwetzler
No. There are lots of reasons for a CEL, and the most common reason is cat efficiency - this means the cat isn't burning the emissions off.

Cat Efficiency.. That is the correct term.. Thanks Kitwetzler
Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Felix_Kline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Our latest KLINE project

INCONEL 625
On 997 GT2/GT3 Forum >
Porsche 997 GT3 INCONEL 625 exhaust - KLINE INNOVATION Project
Old 12-18-2012, 01:52 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
Drive a TT with a tune and nn exhaust and drive a TT with just a tune.. I believe your doubts may be unjustified..
When I was a kid and rode my bike and I would slap a couple of baseball cards with a clothes drier pin to the back of the rear rim. I could swear it was faster.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:26 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by atcbi5
When I was a kid and rode my bike and I would slap a couple of baseball cards with a clothes drier pin to the back of the rear rim. I could swear it was faster.
Are you saying that a TT with a Tune and a stock exhaust produces the same power as a TT (with the same tune) with a 100 cell cat free flow system?

I don't think so...neither does the dyno
Old 12-18-2012, 09:31 PM
atcbi5
Banned

No just the exhaust and nothing else. I don't know much about the cats but I am assuming the ECU would somehow compensate and adjust itself back to normal? In other words, undo what was done. In all honesty I was just kidding but I am skeptical. I don't have local guys around here that I could drive and test. I would like the sound!
Old 12-19-2012, 02:53 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by atcbi5
No just the exhaust and nothing else. I don't know much about the cats but I am assuming the ECU would somehow compensate and adjust itself back to normal? In other words, undo what was done. In all honesty I was just kidding but I am skeptical. I don't have local guys around here that I could drive and test. I would like the sound!

Fortunetely for me I did my mods in stages.. I did the tune first with a modified stock exhaust. I drove the car for a couple months before I got the exhaust. Then I got the exhaust. The difference is dramatic. The Turbos spool quicker, accreleration is better and the car just pulls harder..I was suprised by the performance difference.. I'm sure a 70mm system with 100 cell cats is even better..
Old 12-19-2012, 06:32 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Looking at the Kline system based on a review on here. Very economical. With 200 cell cats? Chinese to me, no ecu tune.

Quick Reply: New Turbo Exhaust - early Christmas Present