Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's wrong with my car? :-(

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 02:37 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not cool to be slamming each other here.. That's not what these forums are about.. It's too easy to get personal and nasty with a keyboard...

Just because someone posts something you don't agree with doesn't mean you have to attack them..

We ought be civil and talk about Turbos and Porsches.

Lets leave the rude and nasty to the reality shows... I think we should be above that..
Old 10-23-2012, 09:10 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
To be expected coming from someone who refers to Unlim 5000 car owners as just "rich posers" and slams the Greek guys in 997 Turbo Porsches as deserving to be stoned to death.

So yes, for someone who mocks others who are real performance enthusiasts, referring to them as merely "rich posers showing off", yet personally ponces around on 20's purely for vanity sakes complaining on the forums how he can't get satisfactory handling, whilst at the same time blaming the car/and brand, while trying to break 300 kph is somewhat contradictory would you not say? Hmmmm...

And as "just a driver looking for info", your best port of call would be to your nearest P tech really....not the discussion forums. Afterall what would "just a driver" do with the info anyway given you openly admit you don't have any real skill or qualification to exact any remedy on your own....
1. Of course, all those guys in Unlim500 are just your average working stiffs

2. I never said that Greek guys should be stoned to death, you should read better. I wondered how they are driving the streets of Athens without fear of being thrown a stone or something else at them, given the problems that the population experiences in Greece (high unemployment, taxes collected through electricity bills, riots on the street).

I must mention copla other things, I am Russian, I have relatives in Russia (Moscow != Russia), I am not one of those guys who thinks, translated freely from a Russian classic, "expropriate everything and split it between everybody". I do not envy anyone his/her wealth, in fact I only salute those who made it (the fair way). I am just contemplating the events around us. Sure as hell I am not mocking anyone.

20s on my car were installed by previous owner, I would not mind having stock 19s, at least I could then buy winter tyres for them. Was I ever blaming Porsche? It is not perfect, it has its negatives, but I love the 997T I have.

Discussion forums are good, lots of people with experience and expertise here, so one can collect lots of info and make an informed decision.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:45 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NoPasaran
1. Of course, all those guys in Unlim500 are just your average working stiffs

2. I never said that Greek guys should be stoned to death, you should read better. I wondered how they are driving the streets of Athens without fear of being thrown a stone or something else at them, given the problems that the population experiences in Greece (high unemployment, taxes collected through electricity bills, riots on the street).

I must mention copla other things, I am Russian, I have relatives in Russia (Moscow != Russia), I am not one of those guys who thinks, translated freely from a Russian classic, "expropriate everything and split it between everybody". I do not envy anyone his/her wealth, in fact I only salute those who made it (the fair way). I am just contemplating the events around us. Sure as hell I am not mocking anyone.

20s on my car were installed by previous owner, I would not mind having stock 19s, at least I could then buy winter tyres for them. Was I ever blaming Porsche? It is not perfect, it has its negatives, but I love the 997T I have.

Discussion forums are good, lots of people with experience and expertise here, so one can collect lots of info and make an informed decision.
Off topic i know but as you've attempted to justify the points I directed at you let's start at your post #3 http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post3603986

Would i be correct in saying you picked up quite a bit of fanfare with your remarks?.

And sure looks like you stepped in it with the Greeks....Your post #7 sure set off the dominos...http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ic-mods-2.html

You see I don't wish to start a war here with any member but I made my points, which were valid, and i'm quite happy to move forward....
Old 10-23-2012, 02:35 PM
NoPasaran
Racer

Off topic i know but as you've attempted to justify the points I directed at you let's start at your post #3 http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post3603986

Would i be correct in saying you picked up quite a bit of fanfare with your remarks?.

And sure looks like you stepped in it with the Greeks....Your post #7 sure set off the dominos...http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ic-mods-2.html

You see I don't wish to start a war here with any member but I made my points, which were valid, and i'm quite happy to move forward....
I said all I had to say in my previous post.
Now, let's get back to Porsches.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:51 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Amen to that! Let's talk about that AWE 750 kit for our cars and other expensive silly things!!!!

By the way ... I love 20's on TT's... Just sayin....
Old 10-24-2012, 09:02 AM
speed21
Banned

Um, you mean your previous posts on 6, or here? Either way, the aftermath is much the same really...so agree, "nuff said".. i guess...

Originally Posted by phillipj
Amen to that! Let's talk about that AWE 750 kit for our cars and other expensive silly things!!!!

By the way ... I love 20's on TT's... Just sayin....
I actually love the look of 20"s on a TT too (truly do)....just not sure if i'm personally up to the compromises. I guess if 19's and 20's were human shoes one may consider it wise to wear the 19's to the sporting events and the 20's to the catwalk events lol. Joking aside I guess a lot really depends on the kind of driving you plan doing and a lot of these types of cars rarely see much speed generated outside of the odd quick blast on the street and only in a straight line. Breaking 300kph on 20's combined with an unknown wheel alignment set up and a set of lowering coils may prove an interesting challenge tho....
Old 10-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

It's not cool to be slamming each other here.. That's not what these forums are about.. It's too easy to get personal and nasty with a keyboard...

Just because someone posts something you don't agree with doesn't mean you have to attack them..

We ought be civil and talk about Turbos and Porsches.

Lets leave the rude and nasty to the reality shows... I think we should be above that..
1+. Sounds like it's not the cars that need the 'Italian - blow the cobwebs out’ tune up its the...

Last edited by Zeus993; 10-24-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:11 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Um, you mean your previous posts on 6, or here? Either way, the aftermath is much the same really...so agree, "nuff said".. i guess...

I actually love the look of 20"s on a TT too (truly do)....just not sure if i'm personally up to the compromises. I guess if 19's and 20's were human shoes one may consider it wise to wear the 19's to the sporting events and the 20's to the catwalk events lol. Joking aside I guess a lot really depends on the kind of driving you plan doing and a lot of these types of cars rarely see much speed generated outside of the odd quick blast on the street and only in a straight line. Breaking 300kph on 20's combined with an unknown wheel alignment set up and a set of lowering coils may prove an interesting challenge tho....

It is no doubt a compromise..I had 20's on my 997 Carrera S. Alhough they looked amazing the handling was noticebly different than the 19's.. But like you said for a lot of Turbo owners their cars only see daylight one in a while.. And when they do it's to go get a coffee or have lunch. In that case the 20's would be just fine lol!

I'm sure if that type of owner took a drive with me they would be shocked...
Old 10-24-2012, 04:29 PM
NoPasaran
Racer

It is no doubt a compromise..I had 20's on my 997 Carrera S. Alhough they looked amazing the handling was noticebly different than the 19's.. But like you said for a lot of Turbo owners their cars only see daylight one in a while.. And when they do it's to go get a coffee or have lunch. In that case the 20's would be just fine lol!

I disagree.
I drove the (sometimes very bumpy) Alps and I drove the Autobahns, which can also be very bumpy, especially at speeds above 125. I see no problem with 20s. Obviously, shops like Techart etc do not see problems with 20s on their 650hp cars either.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:21 PM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Kinda strange, the 911s seem VERY sensitive to wheel size when it comes to ride quality. My E90, and E92 M3s both didn't mind being on 20" wheels at all, but my C2S hated it. It seemed to be a huge difference in the P-Car world. Sticking with 19s on my 997 turbo, but may go 20s on my F30 328.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:25 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

A car doesn't really care what size WHEELS you have. The car cares about overall tire height, sidewall height, overall weight, tire width and tire compound.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
A car doesn't really care what size WHEELS you have. The car cares about overall tire height, sidewall height, overall weight, tire width and tire compound.
Hmmm... Haven't you stepped over the 'anthropomorphising' line a bit here?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:08 AM
speed21
Banned

I disagree.
I drove the (sometimes very bumpy) Alps and I drove the Autobahns, which can also be very bumpy, especially at speeds above 125. I see no problem with 20s. Obviously, shops like Techart etc do not see problems with 20s on their 650hp cars either.
Umm... trying not to stir the pot here (honestly), but hearing this from the same guy who said his Audi felt safer/better to drive at high speed than his own TT with 20's on is a bit like "nuff said"....

May i quote your post: I have Mk1 manual Turbo with 572hp and lowered with H&R springs, 245 and 325 tyres. I went on German Autobahn. All I can say is when I hit 260kmh I did not want to go faster, too unpleasant, the front is very light and the steering is light and twitchy. I did 300kmh in my previous Audi TT RS, that was a pleasure to drive fast.

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Hmmm... Haven't you stepped over the 'anthropomorphising' line a bit here?
+1. Or, perhaps the 993TT is more friendly to 20's than the 997TT...

I've certainly toyed with the idea of 20's on a few occasions now because i do like the look. However, what i have been repeatedly and strongly advised by a very well recognised company who does nothing else but mod these P cars and sells the products for them (inc 19" and 20" wheels..inc techart stuff), and who happen to be a prominent and, very highly regarded sponsor on these very forums if i may add, is they did not advise me fitting 20"s period to my 997tt for the simple reason in their experience the car handles like a bag of **** on 20's and, accordingly, them knowing what i expect re performance have sold me down the 19' route....and not just once. Now maybe they told me this purely because they know exactly what i expect in terms of performance in my cars and, maybe suspension mods can (possibly) dial out a certain misgivings to a certain degree, but at the end of the day, going by what i was told, the car will always behave better on the 19's. So, i guess it comes down to how you use your car and what you expect from it. Anyway, i would take these guys word for it 100% over as their qualification and experience with these cars speaks for itself.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:07 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I have had 20" on my first '07 turbo.
Bit by bit I started to dislike that car and the thought of selling started to grow.
I used the car a lot, it was my DD at the time. Since it was loud, harsh and rather unpleasant to drive I thought I got tired of 'Porsche'. So I sold it.
The buyer did not want the 20" so I installed the original 19" back. I drove it a last time and thought it was a different car. Although I have no regret selling that car I sold it for the wrong reasons. All it took was to move back to 19". My current turbo is equipped with 19" BBS and I resist the urge of 20". The car is no longer used as a DD and I could (I suspect) endure the bigger wheels but than I think, why ?? Just for looks ? Nah, won't do it.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:07 PM
phillipj
Drifting

I disagree.

I'm not saying they can't be set up right with 20's. I know they can work well and like you said many tuners use 20's.. I love them and would love to have them on my next TT.. I just said thet when I went from my 19's to 20's with no alignment mods the Carrera didn't handle as well.. Wasn't trying to start another argument... Geez....

Quick Reply: What's wrong with my car? :-(