Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's wrong with my car? :-(

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012 | 02:48 PM
NoPasaran
Racer

Originally Posted by speed21
Umm... trying not to stir the pot here (honestly), but hearing this from the same guy who said his Audi felt safer/better to drive at high speed than his own TT with 20's on is a bit like "nuff said"....

May i quote your post: I have Mk1 manual Turbo with 572hp and lowered with H&R springs, 245 and 325 tyres. I went on German Autobahn. All I can say is when I hit 260kmh I did not want to go faster, too unpleasant, the front is very light and the steering is light and twitchy. I did 300kmh in my previous Audi TT RS, that was a pleasure to drive fast.
I do not get it what is your biff exactly? Umm... trying not to stir the pot here (honestly), but why are you nagging so much?

I said what it felt like, shared my personal experience. First time I drove TTRS on Autobahn, on winter tyres, in February, with snow, salt and ice on the surface, I hit 300 indicated speed, that was scary but I did it. It was my first time at this speed ever.
I drove 997TT, first time in a Porsche on Autobahn, on the same stretch of road in summer and I did not want to go above 260 (especially with a passenger, who was also uncomfortable), because it felt even more scary.

TTRS was called "911 in reverse", it is heavy in the front, and all this weight presses the front down at those speeds very nicely, so even though the car starts to float a bit (especially on winter tyres) the steering is still quite heavy, while in 997 the front gets very light (at least that was my impression in this first ever high-speed drive in 997T).

I just cannot fathom why you come with all these "nuff said" and rolleyes, bitching like a girl about what I said. Obviously, you seem to feel superior to me when it comes to Porsches and such, I do not see anyone else raising up so much fuss, in fact, the rest of the people here are just being very helpful. Feel free to be an "expert". I do not give a .... about your kindergarten behavior. I stand by every word I said.
Old 10-25-2012 | 04:00 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Oh boy.... I think the admin shouild close this thread... To many bad tempers.....
Old 10-25-2012 | 08:59 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by NoPasaran
I do not get it what is your biff exactly? Umm... trying not to stir the pot here (honestly), but why are you nagging so much?

I said what it felt like, shared my personal experience. First time I drove TTRS on Autobahn, on winter tyres, in February, with snow, salt and ice on the surface, I hit 300 indicated speed, that was scary but I did it. It was my first time at this speed ever.
I drove 997TT, first time in a Porsche on Autobahn, on the same stretch of road in summer and I did not want to go above 260 (especially with a passenger, who was also uncomfortable), because it felt even more scary.

TTRS was called "911 in reverse", it is heavy in the front, and all this weight presses the front down at those speeds very nicely, so even though the car starts to float a bit (especially on winter tyres) the steering is still quite heavy, while in 997 the front gets very light (at least that was my impression in this first ever high-speed drive in 997T).

I just cannot fathom why you come with all these "nuff said" and rolleyes, bitching like a girl about what I said. Obviously, you seem to feel superior to me when it comes to Porsches and such, I do not see anyone else raising up so much fuss, in fact, the rest of the people here are just being very helpful. Feel free to be an "expert". I do not give a .... about your kindergarten behavior. I stand by every word I said.
No "bif" this end at all. I'm over you calling me a wise ****. I was being honest when i said i kinda expected it and, i showed my reasons why so there was no confusion for anyone here.

Anyway re the "nuff said" with the rolleyes, due to your scary experience at 260 i felt it worthwhile drawing your attention back to that again as you said there is nothing at all wrong with using 20's on a 997TT. So, if that lit your fuse i apologise but i did think it relevant in the context of the discussion seeing you indicated there is nothing adverse in using 20's. That's all...

Originally Posted by phillipj
Oh boy.... I think the admin shouild close this thread... To many bad tempers.....
Nah it's cool Phillip. I'm definitely not upset with noparisan. Bemused with his remarks, but that's all. Seems he's got himself a bit wound up with my reminding him of his own comments but only he has the solution to that particular problem...but, i'm happy to work with him on that it it helps him solve it.
Old 10-26-2012 | 06:56 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
I have had 20" on my first '07 turbo.
Bit by bit I started to dislike that car and the thought of selling started to grow.
I used the car a lot, it was my DD at the time. Since it was loud, harsh and rather unpleasant to drive I thought I got tired of 'Porsche'. So I sold it.
The buyer did not want the 20" so I installed the original 19" back. I drove it a last time and thought it was a different car. Although I have no regret selling that car I sold it for the wrong reasons. All it took was to move back to 19". My current turbo is equipped with 19" BBS and I resist the urge of 20". The car is no longer used as a DD and I could (I suspect) endure the bigger wheels but than I think, why ?? Just for looks ? Nah, won't do it.
Your experience sounds along the same lines as a few guys who have posted on these forums, who have had 20's and realised afterward just how much of a backward step it was for the car.....well for them anyway. It appears some owners are more upfront with the issue than others but that may be down to how they drive the car....and/or how much $ they just spent on their 20's. As Phillip says, if the car is used mainly to showboat around town, or to go to and fro the coffee shop on the odd occasion the owner may never know what he/she's missing out on.

As i mentioned before, i'm sure with expertly tuned suspension mods the issue can be dialled out to a large degree as seemingly evidenced with some of the high end performance shops that have done these cars up (and reviewed their own work) to showcase their overall offerings, but regardless of that from what ive been told the car will always drive better on 19's. You only need to take a car to the track to find that out, in fact where performance goes 18's are even better where you can get them to fit. Hearing noparisians story on how he couldn't muster the courage to go beyond 260 is a clear indictment either he or the car has an issue that needs attention.....not that he wants to buy into that line of thinking, instead seems to prefer to blame the dynamics and Porsche's engineering of the car as being substandard in some way vs his beloved Audi TTrs.

Anyway, the 997tt has been Vmaxed in stock trim (with 19's) by countless motoring journo's now inc Clarkson (who spoke surprisingly very favourably about the 997tt ) and i can't recall any of them saying they soiled their pants at 260 on a straight road.
Old 10-26-2012 | 12:56 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Got to agree that 260 should no be an issue with this car...but living in NJ ive not been able to find out first hand. Id be soiling my pants in jail.
Old 10-26-2012 | 01:34 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Nah it's cool Phillip. I'm definitely not upset with noparisan. Bemused with his remarks, but that's all. Seems he's got himself a bit wound up with my reminding him of his own comments but only he has the solution to that particular problem...but, i'm happy to work with him on that it it helps him solve it.[/QUOTE]

That's good to hear...
Old 10-28-2012 | 03:23 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by phillipj

That's good to hear...
Relax. Was truly never a problem.
Old 10-28-2012 | 05:34 PM
phillipj
Drifting

I have just seen things on forums get really out of control. Nice to see people on Rennlist are adults.. This is a great forum..
Old 10-28-2012 | 07:25 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Most of us get bitchy because we can't drive our cars fast enough... Grrrrrr...

Quick Reply: What's wrong with my car? :-(