Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me out of it :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm in the hunt for a 997tt also, wondering if the prices will drop much when the 991ttt gets out. The middle of winter seems to be a good time to buy cars in the midwest
Old 09-20-2012, 01:01 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by david
FWIW, I would never have considered a Tip but I heard that on a Turbo it works well and as I mentioned in my other thread, I really want to (as crazy as it may seem) allow my daughter (18) to experience driving a 911 and I'm unwilling to let her learn on a Porsche clutch.
you sound like you really like to row the gears with a 6-speed (which is the only way to fly IMO), so if you buy the tip for your daughter's sake then I think in 6 months you will be bored and wish you had the 6-speed. note I didn't say you'd have regrets, but if you're like me you'd get bored with the auto, and being bored with your ~$80K weekend toy is not going to feel very good.

in any case, sounds like your daughter will drive this with you occasionally so why not get the 6 speed Turbo for YOU, then you can rent a 6 speed MT mustang from Hertz and teach your daughter on that and let her learn by burning the clutch on the rental. You may have to take her out every saturday for a month but once she's proficient enough she can graduate to driving the porsche with you as the copilot. just my 2 cents
Old 09-20-2012, 01:04 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Acropora
I'm in the hunt for a 997tt also, wondering if the prices will drop much when the 991ttt gets out. The middle of winter seems to be a good time to buy cars in the midwest
man I wish that were the case out here in California, unfortunately we don't get a "middle of winter" discount on cars
Old 09-22-2012, 08:56 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by aa909
you sound like you really like to row the gears with a 6-speed (which is the only way to fly IMO), so if you buy the tip for your daughter's sake then I think in 6 months you will be bored and wish you had the 6-speed. note I didn't say you'd have regrets, but if you're like me you'd get bored with the auto, and being bored with your ~$80K weekend toy is not going to feel very good.

in any case, sounds like your daughter will drive this with you occasionally so why not get the 6 speed Turbo for YOU, then you can rent a 6 speed MT mustang from Hertz and teach your daughter on that and let her learn by burning the clutch on the rental. You may have to take her out every saturday for a month but once she's proficient enough she can graduate to driving the porsche with you as the copilot. just my 2 cents
Thanks for the thoughts however my kids are now off at school and during their infrequent return home there will be no time for practicing on a rental. I thought that when I go fetch the daughter that wants to drive a P-car, she could drive it home (UC Davis to Marin) and begin to experience the vehicle.

I know what I want (6-speed manual)...I just may have to settle for something less (I suspect a C4S with PDK) this go-round.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:09 AM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

Definitely recommend a turbo.
Just upgraded from a supercharged 997 C4S to a tuned 997 Turbo S and no question I did not know what I didn't know. POWER and TORQUE. Both addicting and seldom found on a normally aspirated engine.

Walt
Old 09-23-2012, 12:44 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I taught my daughter to drive a stick shift on my 1974 911. She mastered it quickly, and even learned how to heel & toe her downshifts (much impressing the teen-aged boys). One or two slipped-clutch starts will not burn up your clutch... more usually the engine gets stalled a few times. No harm, really.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Teaching son on manual TT... I've planned it out. Find a big parking lot wih a downward slope and practice clutch only, then had the throttle and we should have it. It agree - an occasional slipped clutch and stall is not going to hurt this car, especially with how soft the OEM clutch is. My mom could drive this. (Now there's a thought...)
Old 09-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Some daughters and sons get the manual thing, some don't. Tried to teach our daughter in the 993. After first stall, suggested she change out of the flip flops into sneakers. Shortly after, she is approaching a 35 mph off camber right turn, doing 45. Good thing they put the hand brake in the middle, or we would have been in the cow pasture.

Tip, well you should drive one, in both manual and auto mode. I had to get one, due to upcoming L hip replacement. Glad I did, because it works well for the suburban driving most of us spend 90%+ of our time on.

Tip is a proven robust trans, built by the same ZF that supplies to the high torque AMG cars.

Get what works for you, not the occasional youth driving. They should take the bus anyway. Now, get off my lawn.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:48 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Some daughters and sons get the manual thing, some don't. Tried to teach our daughter in the 993. After first stall, suggested she change out of the flip flops into sneakers. Shortly after, she is approaching a 35 mph off camber right turn, doing 45. Good thing they put the hand brake in the middle, or we would have been in the cow pasture.

Tip, well you should drive one, in both manual and auto mode. I had to get one, due to upcoming L hip replacement. Glad I did, because it works well for the suburban driving most of us spend 90%+ of our time on.

Tip is a proven robust trans, built by the same ZF that supplies to the high torque AMG cars.

Get what works for you, not the occasional youth driving. They should take the bus anyway. Now, get off my lawn.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:56 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams

Thanks for the smile Terry regarding your supplemental braking maneuver to avoid the pasture!

I still haven't located a tip in the immediate area to test...

Quick Reply: Talk me out of it :)