Talk me out of it :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:39 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Talk me out of it :)

I never considered a 997 Turbo until a fellow addict suggested that I add it to my shopping list which has taken a circuitous route to primarily focus on a 2009-2010 C4S (see this link if you are interested in learning more).

It looks like a 2007 Turbo may fit into my (ever increasing) budget and I was curious to discover from those that own the beast about the anticipated maintenance, whether it will include a premium over a C4S and whether the notion of "purchase the newest 911 that you can afford" applies when comparing these two models?

The car I will eventually purchase will have a CPO however I like to keep my cars for a while so I expect that I will desire to own the Turbo beyond the effective date and I need to salt funds away for the inevitable.

FWIW, I would never have considered a Tip but I heard that on a Turbo it works well and as I mentioned in my other thread, I really want to (as crazy as it may seem) allow my daughter (18) to experience driving a 911 and I'm unwilling to let her learn on a Porsche clutch.

I'm just channeling the spousal unit when I suggest that I want to be talked out of this...I suspect that I just want ammo when I sit down with her and have a chat...although she did say "get what you want" ( I should've recorded it!)

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

OK. Here's my 2Cs... I too looked at a 2009 and 2011 C4S and although liked them, they didn't really GRAB me like the TT. The 997.2 is a great engine but the Twin Turbo is a very very well built, top of the line Porsche that is practically in a different league of its own. The engine is not DFI but related to the original bullet-proof GT1 race engine and is an absolute thril to experience. So I passed on the 'buying the newest Porsche you can afford' and went with 'buying the sexiest bad-*** Porsche 911 I could afford' and without a warrenty as my confidence from every thing I read about this car was so high that I just said f#€k it - i'll deal with what comes up etc...

Maintenance seems to me more than the C4S mainly due to the need to remove the bumper and mufflers for the spark plug change but short of that it's no different. Those with more years of ownership will jump in here I am sure.

And despite my wife's protest, I am going to teach my son to drive this car, manual transmission and all. Isn't that what Dad's do?

Absolutely no regrets. This is an AWESOME car.

Joel
Old 09-19-2012, 10:00 AM
strato58
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts

C4S or Turbo? This is a no brainer....even if you get the C4S your going to want a turbo....Just get it an be done with it.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:09 AM
RPB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You won't regret having a 997 turbo. Pull the trigger.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:47 AM
strato58
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts

We are doing a hell of a job talking you out of it aren't we?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

I traded up to a Turbo from an 06 C4S and never looked back. Can't imagine you would regret it other than letting your teenage daughter drive it alone. That IMO is a no no.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:32 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
I traded up to a Turbo from an 06 C4S and never looked back. Can't imagine you would regret it other than letting your teenage daughter drive it alone. That IMO is a no no.
I may be crazy but I'm not insane! My wonderful daughter will not be piloting the P-car alone...I can just hear her ask now "Pop, can I borrow the TT to go party in the City???

I can assure you that I'll be in the co-pilot's seat and I suspect she'll get on the track for some education.

As far as you guys talking me out of it: I only expected y'all to throw petrol on the flames so no surprise with the comments so far.

That said, I'm not moving up from a C4S (I just have a lowly '80 911sc which I'll be keeping) so I'm confident that the C4S will be just fine.

I'll keep both of these models on my shopping list and when the right one comes along, I suspect that my gut will tell me what to do.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have had three 997's both C2S & C4S. Sold my Gen2 DFI with PDK box etc now got a 2007 manual Turbo. Never enjoyed a car as much as this. Used to change every two years genuinely thinking of going down with this ship now.

R.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:36 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenmhor 1
Have had three 997's both C2S & C4S. Sold my Gen2 DFI with PDK box etc now got a 2007 manual Turbo. Never enjoyed a car as much as this. Used to change every two years genuinely thinking of going down with this ship now.

R.
+1 on that....
Old 09-19-2012, 05:32 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went through a C4S a few years ago. The money I lost selling it 2 years later having added something like 5-7k miles, I call tuition. I could have saved it had I bought a turbo in the first place.

Do it, you will never look back. You will have thoughts of this is the one... or like Glenmhor said to be going down with it.

As Denis put it, buy the sexiest badest fastest 911 you can afford. And the TT should be it.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

I passed on a new 993TT because I needed the money to start a business. So got a new 993 C2S instead.

This time, business had gone well, so no doubt what to choose.

Got a Tip due to L hip replacement. Don't regret it.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my 2007 997 TT for three years now - the only maintenance it has needed is annual fluid changes and new rear tires. The car feels like it's been chiseled from a block of granite. I also plan on going down with this ship, not giving up the Mezger engine.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:18 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
I passed on a new 993TT because I needed the money to start a business. So got a new 993 C2S instead.

This time, business had gone well, so no doubt what to choose.

Got a Tip due to L hip replacement. Don't regret it.
This is an interesting comment as my singular issue (as of now) is: will I like the tip??? I suspect that I won't know the answer to this until I drive one. I also suspect that I made my decision more difficult when I told my daughter my next P-car will be one that she can learn to drive.

And I suspect a follow-on Q is: will the Tip hold it's value in comparison with the 6-speed?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:27 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Porscheholic
I've had my 2007 997 TT for three years now - the only maintenance it has needed is annual fluid changes and new rear tires. The car feels like it's been chiseled from a block of granite. I also plan on going down with this ship, not giving up the Mezger engine.
Thanks for the confirmation that maintenance is typically minimal. Who is servicing the beast? I'm assuming that it is a 6-speed...
Old 09-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, 6-speed manual, and I've had all services done at Sonnen in Mill Valley. I've gone the independent route on another Porsche I had, and that did not go well, so I decided to stick with a Porsche dealer this time around. So far I've been happy with their service.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of it :)