Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does water wetter mix with porsche coolant

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:40 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Macster always provides great info - part of my "Porsche education" - thanks to him!! I've not seen Porsche guidelines that say abstain from using any cooling system additives...however, my owner's manual does say "use only antifreeze authorized by Porsche" which probably means the same. I've had many cars in 50 years of driving and seen many technological changes and I've never seen an auto manufacturer say "use additives" for any fluids, but then there's a huge aftermarket industry making additives so someone is using them - great marketing.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I understand they would say what they provide is suffice or owners would automatically ask why if there are superior products are they not used in the first place.

Then comes as you say the aftermarket which usually majors on improving OEM. Car lovers will always treat thier P&J with the best, cost irrelevant.

Now if WW is a bit of a con then all I have wasted is a few £'s in the interest of trying to relieve these hard working Turbo's of a few degrees heat - mechanical sympathy.

On the other hand it were to congeal when mixed with Porsche coolan, affect the working of the W/pump/ thermostat etc have a generally adverse effect on the overall cooling in the context I have used it then I would gladly renew the lot again. I don't mind spending some extra money for some performace advantage and I just thought WW looks like the sort of additive that provides just that.

Ultimately macster is right, Porsche know what they are doing, especially with this model.

Rob.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Niac
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my case, I had to replace some coolant with regular water due one of the radiator leaking. Now i have 6-7 L regular water in my system. I am thinking of adding water wetter to avoid corrosion but it seems that it might be a misstake? Or will it simply be a better solution in my case.

Regards
Old 09-25-2012, 07:28 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 910 Likes on 548 Posts

With some rare exceptions - Europipe comes immediately to mind - the after market cannot match the R&D Porsche puts into everything.

When it does match or exceed Porsche's effort, it is usually because Porsche has to meet a sound or similar target in all world countries. Or Porsche has to meet a cost or demographics target.

When you have to expand the basic model offering to satisfy a local market, it becomes expensive.

Ask gasoline refiners in the US, Apple computer (BTDT), or Michelin.

Michelin's latest PSS is not N rated because it did not go through all the N rating tests. Same for the PSS on the latest Ferrari F12 Berlinetta. Source: a friend who just retired from Michelin after 31 years.

Good enough is good enough, and you get a nice tire at about 35% less than the PS2 it replaces.

So back to water wetter. Why add something Porsche does not say you need? Or why use a coolant that may save you a few bucks, but risk a big bucks engine doing so?
Old 09-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Niac
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my case, I had to replace some coolant with regular water due one of the radiator leaking. Now i have 6-7 L regular water in my system. I am thinking of adding water wetter to avoid corrosion but it seems that it might be a misstake? Or will it simply be a better solution in my case.

Regards
Old 07-30-2014, 04:05 PM
BamaScoot
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Really interesting reading this topic. I have an extra bottle of WW I was going to dump in the CTT because well it's extra and why not, but I guess I should abstain for now.

Originally Posted by Niac

Regards
If you have tap water in your system you need to flush it. The minerals in the water will eat away at your components. WW is not an anti-corrosion product. Drain the system and add the proper mix of Porsche coolant and distilled water.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:28 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

I am of the believe that a designed operating tempreture for our engine has been conducted by Porsche. All of these parameters play an important part in the efficiency of our engines. Changing tempreture deltas, diluting the coolant mixture, adding chemicals all have an effect which may be manifest themselves later. Pretty much the same thing with removing the thermostat from an engine. The engine must transfer the heat at the specifics Porsche designed. As far as I am concerned, it's another form of the old "snake oil" dilemma. Do what you want to do but ponder if it's so incredible, why didn't Porsche institute it.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:38 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WW and K&N are in the same category - 'wonder' products.

[Believe it or believe it not.]

Old 03-23-2016, 08:09 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

I have changed my mind. I know run a 5:1 ratio of distilled water and Porsche coolant. No freezing here in south Florida
Old 03-23-2016, 01:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
I have changed my mind. I know run a 5:1 ratio of distilled water and Porsche coolant. No freezing here in south Florida
While there is no risk of the engine freezing where you are the anti-freeze contains additives that help fight corrosion and help prolong the life of the water pump.

My recommendation would be to run the proper 50:50 mixture of anti-freeze and distilled water and know you are doing all you can to extend/maximize the service life of the water pump, and fighting off corrosion inside the coolant system.

While there is no danger of the block/heads corroding to the point of a leak there are many square feet of very thin aluminum sheet metal in the radiators, heater core and oil/water heat exchanger that are at risk of corrosion possibly opening up a pin hole leak.

Quick Reply: Does water wetter mix with porsche coolant