Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 60 NM of torque really that obvious?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 05:28 PM
guidwire
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anymore updates Rob? I am beginning to think I have the same issue as you.

Derek
Old 09-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the car back from the dealer now for over a week. We left it they were going to get confirmation from porsche technical dept Germany.

As yet not heard back. I was told to run the car at 3000rpm in 4th gear, hold steady throttle & deactivate the sport button and the engine would lurch, which it does. This apparently confirms the throttle map is active.

For all the world I cannot sense any greater pull between 2 & 4 k with sports mode on or off. Given that Pasm can be activated seperately I would have to agree with some that have said the S/C is a gimmick. I simply cannot believe why turbo owners say it's the must have option. Even the way it's apparently configured to work only on WOT between 2/4rpm how usable is that real time driving.

Most of the guy's that have remaps enjoy the extra boost right through the rev range as it should be.

I would not be in the least surprised to run an external gauge on mine and see it is actually still only producing standard boost.

Ultimately if porsche are selling a performance upgade that gives 0.2 bar extra boost to produce 60nm torque then my electronic gauge at the very least needs to show the additional value of 1.2 from the standard 1.0 because I as sure as hell can't feel it.

Asked the same question on the UK forum for guys to test their cars and let me know if the difference is easliy noticed and quite a few have said the same as you, they are just not sure. Never mind we are in good company because I have seen a clip of Tiff Needell a top class and ex porsche race driver in a cayman on sports mode and he said he couldn't feel the enhanced throttle mapping either.

I am genuinely confused when other owners say they can feel it instantly. one guy in the UK actually said he was nervous about pressing his sport button because of the implied additional performance. When I hear that I conclude either he has a problem or I do, we're both not experiencing the same thing.

Rob.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:44 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rob, a couple of comments, the additional 20% increase in boost is noticeable to me at WOT, I also don't think it is really limited to 2-4K rpm range as I've seen the full 18 PSI reading on my car at WOT well past 4K rpm. I typically cruise in 4th gear at 3000 rpm and WOT with the extra 20% boost is noticeable to me through to nearly 5000 rpm.

I also don't see how porsche could be gimmicky with a claim of 50 ft-lbs of torque as this would open them up to significant liabilities. It's been 5 years since the 997 TT launched, porsche would have been sued in the states by now if the incremental torque increase was a sham.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:10 PM
guidwire
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the gauge staying at 1.0 after the retrofit really bothers me. Have you tried test driving a turbo with S/C from the factory?
Old 09-21-2012, 06:43 AM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I absolutely agree with you how could they, why would they and you seeing 18lb being held through to 5k proves that and more.

The very crux of my problem is the fact the gauge won't change to show the new range visually. It might be my head is playing tricks with me,at first I thought it's quite subtle and then started to doubt I could notice anything at all.

When I had my wife in the car I would for instance do two fifth gear pulls from 2k and say to her concentrate and tell me which one felt better, she - like me - couldn't tell the difference. I am annoyed they ignored the suggestion to run a remote boost device to check while they had the car.

Put it this way I was told the porsche technician had been jumping in and out of different models all day. That was meant to reassure me, all it has done has told me the guy couldn't have been sure himself.

I can go no further till I hear back. Everyone has been very helpful with feedback etc it's a fantastic forum where without input I would be lost.

I am so glad you other guys get exactly what you payed for. Don't get me wrong I love the car and it performs fantastically well. All those things are possibly best done in the factory not five years later. It is possible there is a glitch in the software or the download procedure, who know's I'm not familiar with the process. I still think the values definitely should have adjusted. That in it's own start's anyone thinking.

Rob.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:49 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Glenmhor 1
I absolutely agree with you how could they, why would they and you seeing 18lb being held through to 5k proves that and more.

The very crux of my problem is the fact the gauge won't change to show the new range visually. It might be my head is playing tricks with me,at first I thought it's quite subtle and then started to doubt I could notice anything at all.

When I had my wife in the car I would for instance do two fifth gear pulls from 2k and say to her concentrate and tell me which one felt better, she - like me - couldn't tell the difference. I am annoyed they ignored the suggestion to run a remote boost device to check while they had the car.

Put it this way I was told the porsche technician had been jumping in and out of different models all day. That was meant to reassure me, all it has done has told me the guy couldn't have been sure himself.

I can go no further till I hear back. Everyone has been very helpful with feedback etc it's a fantastic forum where without input I would be lost.

I am so glad you other guys get exactly what you payed for. Don't get me wrong I love the car and it performs fantastically well. All those things are possibly best done in the factory not five years later. It is possible there is a glitch in the software or the download procedure, who know's I'm not familiar with the process. I still think the values definitely should have adjusted. That in it's own start's anyone thinking.

Rob.
agreed, I would not be happy and continue to have doubt until I had 100% confirmation the extra 20% boost was actually kicking in. It is odd they can't reprogram the display to show the 1.2 reading but at the very least they need to put an external gauge and prove to you that it is doing what you paid for. don't accept anything less, it would personally bug me to no end

hope you get it sorted out
Old 09-21-2012, 01:38 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aa909
agreed, I would not be happy and continue to have doubt until I had 100% confirmation the extra 20% boost was actually kicking in. It is odd they can't reprogram the display to show the 1.2 reading but at the very least they need to put an external gauge and prove to you that it is doing what you paid for. don't accept anything less, it would personally bug me to no end

hope you get it sorted out

+1 on that....
Old 09-25-2012, 10:39 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenmhor 1
Apologies for raising this again but the retro fit S/C saga continues.

Picked the car up from OPC on Saturday and was told that the overboost has definitely been enabled. The word sport comes up on the dash when activated along with pasm and the pilot light show's on the sport button.

The only outlying issue was the fact the horizontal bar as seen in the manual showing the range from 0 ----- 0.5 ------- 1.0 shows just that, no 1.2 as it does in the manual.

Drove the car home with my daughter in the car so didn't attempt to see any overboost in the three hour drive home.

Last night went out when it got dark, temperatures down etc, to a long straight run up a moderate gradient on the outskirts of town and had multiple runs pulling from fifth gear at 2k revs WOT could not get the car to register beyond 1.0 bar boost even when I changed the readout configuration from the horizontal bar back to the standard readout (0.0).

My main concern is now this. I simply cannot feel ANY difference whatsoever between sport and non sport mode. I cannot feel the additional urgency on the throttle map and can feel absolutely no difference in pull or torque.

I had someone in the car with me monitoring the boost gauge, every pull was high gears on the incline in low temps between 2 & 4k revs and always WOT. I don't believe my car is producing the performance enhancement Porsche are advertising. Something must have gone wrong with the code input or software download.

I know people say Porsche are cute commercially but I would say from direct experience if my car is acheiving increased throttle intensity and producing an increase in torque then I could only categorise this upgrade as a blatant con.

Would some of the turbo owners out there that have factory fitted S/C please tell me honestly that if they were blindfolded and did ten high gear pulls from low revs during which five of those runs S/C was switched off that they would notice the difference immediately.

If it is honestly that obvious then I have some sort of problem.

Thanks in anticipation

Rob

Do yourself a favour, put the car in manual mode at 5th gear around 60-70 mph and full throttle.. you should see 1.2bar if not then there is a problem with either the fuel .. or the ECU map
Old 09-25-2012, 12:15 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TTurbine
Do yourself a favour, put the car in manual mode at 5th gear around 60-70 mph and full throttle.. you should see 1.2bar if not then there is a problem with either the fuel .. or the ECU map
his problem is the reprogramming to activate the additional boost did not change the gradients or range shown on his boost bar. so his boost bar still only displays 0 - 1.0 but his dealer is telling him his got the full 1.2. very frustrating
Old 09-25-2012, 04:34 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aa909
his problem is the reprogramming to activate the additional boost did not change the gradients or range shown on his boost bar. so his boost bar still only displays 0 - 1.0 but his dealer is telling him his got the full 1.2. very frustrating
Dealer problem , He should update his dash to read to 1.2 bar , or he can go the hard route and mod his Display to read 1.2+ bar , there are a few companies that do it..

Quick Reply: Is 60 NM of torque really that obvious?