Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sports chrono retro fit and Peak boost question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sports chrono retro fit and Peak boost question.

Hi Everyone,

Hope someone can help me. I have my 07 Turbo in OPC having the sports chrono upgrade retrofitted at the moment.

I left the car the other day and went back a couple of hours later to collect but the tech said there was a "glitch" in the software and could I leave it with them to sort out. He was honest enough to admit that when he went to activate the overboost upgrade on the ECU the dash gauge would only register 1.0 boost.

I said this was max boost on standard setting but 1.2 bar was max boost on sport mode.

They have told me the arrow has shown on the dashboard readout which signifies overboost activitation but the readout will not register the value of 1.2 bar boost.

I am scared to accept the car back like this in case there has been a problem with the program. The tech told me his data screen refuses to acknowledge 1.2 bar.

Has anyone on this forum retro fitted sports chrono on a 997.1 Turbo and if so have they witnessed 1.2 bar on WOT between 2000 -4000 revs.

The service manage implied the arrow on the dash proves overboost is enabled but admits he has seen 1.2 bar boost registered on other Turbo's.

Should my car show 1.2 bar on the gauge or just the arrow? Why would the factory fitted upgrade register full boost figures and mine not?

Am I being short changed?

Thanks in advance.

Rob.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:10 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I hope someone will chime in but reality is most have SC from factory. It's rather rare to find a turbo without and if you did you would have to hope they did the upgrade as well. And than have to be a member here.
Let's hope someone can help you.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:45 AM
drvik
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you have a boost leak? Maybe the ECU is requesting 1.2bar but only able to achieve 1.0bar?

My turbo came with SC and I have only ever seen 1.1bar.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:17 AM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

yeah, thanks for the reply. It's more related to the fact the tech's data screen only registered 1.0 boost when he went to load the software upgrade.

It did apparently show the arrow on the dash readout whether or not it will achiev 1.2 under load is another matter, it was more the download I was concerned with.

Thanks again

Rob.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:19 AM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993S
...It's rather rare to find a turbo without and if you did you would have to hope they did the upgrade as well...
I'm going to go on the record with my invaluable opinion on the sentiment that SC is in any way necessary on a turbo. I don't even find it desirable and was glad to find a car without it. I see it as a dash-cluttering gimmick. I like my vast expanse of brown leather to my right unobstructed by gauges. My first reaction to this post was: why in the world would anyone retrofit it if they were lucky enough to find a turbo without it?!?

Just my opinion, so remember de gustibus non est disputandum.

OP, good luck figuring out your issue. Don't misconstrue my opinion as a statement that your preference for SC is in any way less valid than my preference against it. I'm glad we all have different tastes. However, I see the sentiment expressed by Denis quite a bit on the various forums, and I chose your post to get on my soapbox about it. Sorry to threadjack.

Louis
Old 09-04-2012, 11:33 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Which sentiment did I express Louis ? I only stated the fact that few have been ordered without.
I never 'expressed' the need to have one. If you would dig into my past posts (long time ago and might be on an other forum) I was defending the non SC turbo. I have had 3 turbo's, all with SC, and I can honestly say I never touch the 'sport' button.
But it is a good option to make resale easier. You'll see once you come to sell it.

Edit : one more thing, I have a dream spec turbo in my mind (one I would never sell) and SC is not on my list of 'must haves' but I am not opposed to it either as I have gotten used to the wart over the years.

Edit 2 : the upgrade that the OP bought is without the wart on the dash. So he will have the function of overboost but not the ugly thing in the middle. At least that's how it is over here.

Last edited by TT-911; 09-04-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:49 PM
L_perm
Pro

Which sentiment did I express Louis ? I only stated the fact that few have been ordered without...I never 'expressed' the need to have one...
The statement that I interpreted to express the sentiment is the one I quoted. It appears to say that you don't find many without SC and you have to hope that someone without it would upgrade.

Actually, I can see a different interpretation of your statement, which is a description of the person who might be able to help the OP. If that's how you meant it, then sorry for the misinterpretation.

In any case, whether you expressed it or not, you have to agree that over and over on these forums you see people recommending the SC option as a must have. It seems like a nearly universal recommendation, and I've never understood the allure of that option. Dash wart or not, I don't see myself getting anything out of a short burst that I have to take my hand off of the steering wheel and find a button on the console to achieve. Seems downright dangerous for track use, and I don't drag or street race.

Now, if it had voice recognition, and I could say something like "Punch it Chewy," then I might be a little more interested--for a while.

As far as resale goes, I didn't pay for SC upfront, so I've already received whatever discount is associated with not having it. I don't expect to be able to sell it as if it had SC. The fact that I'll have to discount it to the next buyer doesn't mean anything extra is coming out of my pocket. I'll just be passing on the discount that I received.

I don't plan to sell for a long time anyway. I can see myself rebuilding this engine at 150,000 miles in 20 years.

You also have to keep in mind the fact that I'm installing my own permanent "super sport" setting with my tune and hardware.

And, don't get me started on the PCCB "must have." My must haves were low mileage, documented service history with all recommended services performed, red or blue color, natural leather, and a third pedal.

Louis
Old 09-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 905 Likes on 545 Posts

This SC option as I recall was about $1500 for an extra 45 lbs ft of torque.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Similar result from an exhaust and tune, but more money, and not stock if that matters to some.

The wart, I don't care either way.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:03 PM
L_perm
Pro

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
This SC option as I recall was about $1500 for an extra 45 lbs ft of torque.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Similar result from an exhaust and tune, but more money, and not stock if that matters to some...
Just a few points:

1) I'm unaware of any tune that only gives the extra power for 10 seconds at a time;
2) As an example, FVD's basic tune (without exhaust) lists for $1,995 and can be had for less;
3) The FVD tune to which I refer adds 50hp and 74ftlb of torque with no other modification to the car, and it doesn't cut off every 10 seconds.

I guess we could argue over whether 74ftlb continuously and 45ftlb for 10 seconds at a time are "similar," but I'd prefer to leave that determination to the reader.

The extra $300 might be a breaking point for some, though the appropriate reference price of the SC in this thread is what the OP is paying for the retrofit, which I don't know--could raise or lower the $300 differential.

The only circumstances under which I see the OP's choice as a "no brainer" is if he/she places a significant value on the parts being stock and whatever implications that may have for warranty. And, he/she doesn't discount SC due to any perceived danger associated with the fact that one has to take a hand off of the steering wheel and punch a button below the PCM to achieve the 10 second orgasm.

Doesn't the sport button also toggle the suspension to "sport," aka undriveable on anything but a smooth track in a 997.1? If so, I--having the preferences I do--would discount SC further. I find my 997.1 to be laughably incapable of handling bumps when the suspension is set to sport compared to the normal setting and especially my former 2008 M3. If you hadn't guessed, I consider the PASM to also be a gimmick. I was able to get my M3 without BMW's EDC, but Porsche forced me to take PASM. I'll hopefully have a nice set of non-PASM coilovers someday.

To the OP:
I would not accept the car if they can't show the appropriate readout on their equipment. Period.

Louis
Old 09-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Louis, please don't apologise, I value everyone's input and to a great extent I absolutely agree wth you, but.... I agree with Denis more.

The overboost upgrade is very limited IMO when you see it's only activated by WOT between 2/ 4000 revs. The additional boost that allows the user to access a potential 60nm torque is difficult to achieve unless you put the engine under load i.e forced from low revs in higher gears.

For this reason I can understand why people say it's a gimmick. If The addition boost created did not dissapate at 4000 revs it would be a definite enhancement.

However as Denis has alluded to, more than lose money on resale I did not want potential buyers to discount my car at initial stage of inquiry. Market forces, demand and all that... agree or not people looking for Turbo purchase advice are told S/C is a must have.

I love my car and want to keep it long term but Lord forbid should I ever be faced with hard times it is the first thing that would need to go and I would want the spec to be conducive to best sale prospects irrespective of the fact a part of me agree's with you and for the same reasons.

I have just bought the car and thought I would bite the bullet - as it were - as early as possible. It is very low mileage, manual, G/Red with full PSH, I didn't want to miss it.

Rob.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:15 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

The button is pushed only once and than the over boost stays active. You do not need to push button again. The 10sec boost you get is repeated every time you ask for it (by pushing the pedal to the metal). When you have had the over boost and the 10 sec have past you are at a point were torque is of no issue anymore, you are at that point in the high revs. The system, although not perfect, works.

The sport button does indeed activate sport PASM as well but you can deactivate it immediatly by pushing the shocks button next to it.

Btw, I agree, sport PASM is a joke on public roads.

Last edited by TT-911; 09-04-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:19 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Hey Rob, were are you from? Love a red turbo !!!! Were are those pictures ??
Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

My info is the overboost operation is indicated by an up arrow to the right of the boost bar graphic.

When overboost is active and taking place, boost should register 1.2 bar (approx. 17.4psi) (plain old boost is limited to 1.0 bar (14.5psi)).

For this overboost to function though requires the Sport function be activated and that this is activated is indicated by "Sport" being displayed in the upper left hand corner of that area of the dash.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Hey Rob, were are you from? Love a red turbo !!!! Were are those pictures ??
I'm from the Scottish Highlands. I will get some pics in a couple of weeks time.

R.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macster
My info is the overboost operation is indicated by an up arrow to the right of the boost bar graphic.

When overboost is active and taking place, boost should register 1.2 bar (approx. 17.4psi) (plain old boost is limited to 1.0 bar (14.5psi)).

For this overboost to function though requires the Sport function be activated and that this is activated is indicated by "Sport" being displayed in the upper left hand corner of that area of the dash.

Sincerely,

Macster.
I believe you are absolutely correct. Thanks for your help.

Rob.

Quick Reply: Sports chrono retro fit and Peak boost question.