Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm Disappointed in My TT

Old 09-04-2012, 10:51 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 993S
I do not think a GT3RS or even GT2 will solve his problem. These big V8's with that massive low end torque are in a different league. Not a better one , just different and if that is what you crave than no other car will do imo.
I agree 100%. Going from a large V8 to a smaller turbo 6 is 2 different worlds. I made this switch and at first hated the turbo and almost didn't buy it because it didn't have that crazy torque between 1500-3000 rpm. BUT the turbo has more peak torque, is faster and pulls like crazy. Once I figured out how to drive it and keep the rpms in the sweet spot I fell in love. But to each their own, that's why mercedes sells 20,000 AMG cars per year, they have a market and serve it well.

I love my Turbo, but the OP should check out the new 600hp shelby or Viper, those cars have massive V8s and anything less will fall flat vs the 6.2 liter in your BS
Old 09-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,239 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
I got my first taste of MB monster torque with the 1970 300SEL 6.3, 443 lbs ft but in a heavy car.

Wife has a '07 CLK 550, a fraction of the Black Series I wanted, but she's happy with her car.

As noted about the TT, nothing happens below 3K rpm. Inherent turbo lag, cured to my satisfaction with the Europipe. Raw enough without throwing more money at mods.

These cars are so hard to compare, I would just have one of each and be done.
1+. There is no law (other than perhaps ones's wife) that say you can't have more than one car.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:04 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

RUF is making an 8 cylinder 911. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ts-beware.html

Not out yet, and it will probably cost at least double a new turbo, but its got 8 cylinders.

Last edited by JG 996T; 09-04-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:29 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bumperpip
"The Black Edition is a special road/race model"?!? Really? Specifically, what "race" please? Due respect to the AMG steroid motor, the car is nothing more than a boulevardier boy racer. "Special road/race model" indeed.
The CLK Black Series started off as a one off project as F1 needed pace cars that are fast and reliable enough to lead F1 cars. Heavily stiffened, tons of extra cooling, full coilover suspension, bigger brakes. Then MB decided to produce a small run for private ownership. Definately a track special.

While it's not as fast as a 997TT, at the track even my 996TT was a tick faster, the driving experience is very GT3 RS like. It's not a slow car by any means, but most people don't "get" the car until they spend a day at the track with it. It's nothing like your typical AMGs.

To the OP, I suggest a GT3 RS. You might be disappointed with the C63 BS, as it's a little more tame than the CLK was, although much faster around a track. It's definately lost the "you're going to die around this corner" feeling of the CLK BS. I sold my CLK BS to get the C63 BS, which is a better daily driver by a huge margin. I will probably pick up a used CLK BS eventually when I don't have a need for rear seats, or find more garage space!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:01 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What a great thread..
Old 09-05-2012, 09:08 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by rage2
The CLK Black Series started off as a one off project as F1 needed pace cars that are fast and reliable enough to lead F1 cars. Heavily stiffened, tons of extra cooling, full coilover suspension, bigger brakes. Then MB decided to produce a small run for private ownership. Definately a track special.

While it's not as fast as a 997TT, at the track even my 996TT was a tick faster, the driving experience is very GT3 RS like. It's not a slow car by any means, but most people don't "get" the car until they spend a day at the track with it. It's nothing like your typical AMGs.

To the OP, I suggest a GT3 RS. You might be disappointed with the C63 BS, as it's a little more tame than the CLK was, although much faster around a track. It's definately lost the "you're going to die around this corner" feeling of the CLK BS. I sold my CLK BS to get the C63 BS, which is a better daily driver by a huge margin. I will probably pick up a used CLK BS eventually when I don't have a need for rear seats, or find more garage space!
You nailed it! Great response and spot-on regarding ownership and tracking a BS. I tracked mine and I always felt I was driving a high performance car designed for the track first and the street second . As you correctly point-out, the CLK63 BS is not a comfortable DD because of its punishing ride and loose rear-end (even with Corsa's) but it is a great track car and very different from the other AMG's I've owned. Like you, I too will buy another BS in a year or two because it's so unique, very understated (99% of people don't know what it is so it doesn't draw attention like aTT does, at least here in VA) and makes a great week-end driver.

I'm looking in to a GT3 RS now. I also looked at a GT2 RS but that's too race-car like (wife did a back flip!) and currently very expensive. However, I do feel a clean GT2 RS is a future collectible and a good investment.

Thanks again for your post!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to redirect you to the post of Doc GTo 4ocious,,,
I do think that you should try a flash, even as a trial (I believe some tuners offer that). See what 100hp of a difference make... And yes on the driving style change as well, due to difference in driving style required by the large displacement vs forced induction... I think it will make a world of a difference... The GT3RS is equally a race car like teh 2RS... Roll cages and all... I dont think this is what you are looking for... But then again, drive one. But dont get so easily disappointed with the TT. A Tune, an exhaust (sound IS lacking from factory, let alone the added power) and a set of springs or coilovers... you are looking at a few 000 and a GREAT difference...
Good luck!
Old 09-07-2012, 04:59 PM
tredirtyfive
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phillipj
What a great thread..
^ +1

i dont get it either ..

just buy whatever car that makes you happy
Old 09-08-2012, 10:55 PM
08viper1
Instructor

Just get you a 997 TTS like I did.You will be happy.It spanks my ZR1 and Gen 4 Viper.Please, it runs 11.03 @ 129 mph in the quarter without even using LC.10.70s with.It is bone stock.I,like you have may cars,but the TTS is the best and fastest so far.Besides that,I turn off the Sport Plus and cruz around like I was in a Benz.This is the truth...
Old 09-11-2012, 10:52 AM
PoloTurbo
Instructor

I would put two billet faster spooling turbos, bigger exhaust, some fuelling, flash etc and have 500ft lbs at 3000.

My brother in law drives a 3.0l Stealth TT with 505 lbs ft at 3500rpm, lots of mods, the small fast spooling billet turbos did all the difference in the world.
The torque is so intense that it's more than a lot of high hp V8.

657 ft torque at 6000

He's focus was on low end torque hence the smaller fast billet turbos
I see lots of big turbos for the TT butI think there losing a bit of the torque and more lag.

Good luck with your search

The Gt3 is a high revving NA style motor.
Pure bliss for a track guy but for a boost addict torque monster type it is not.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:10 AM
W211
Racer

Try driving the tip in manual mode?
Old 09-18-2012, 12:12 PM
tripleblack
Racer

2008-09 GT2 (no decals).
Old 09-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Am surprised that the OP has not ventured into SLS territory....builds on the BS affection.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:14 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

I looked into the SLS and a used SL65 AMG Black Series. The SLS is a great car but I'm not a fan of the coupe. The convertible appeals to me a lot more but I'm moving on. The SL65 is a harsh unforgiving ride. I'm going to try the light mod route with an ECU reflash and exhaust.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

the SL65 also requird (or did last i checked) a very high stomach for depreciation.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm Disappointed in My TT