Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my Turbo sold my GTR

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:27 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you add a exhaust you'll pick up a little more as well. I went with FVD. great company- love the fit & finish- lots of ppl on here have europipe- I haven't heard but sure its very nice as well.(like to hear-)
Old 08-23-2012, 01:47 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by eric997
I have only got my TT for 1.5 weeks so I'm still trying to get used to it.
I'm sure with time and perhaps more confidence I can go as fast as I did in my GT-R.
I had no issues with the transmission.
I have not driven the PDK version of the TT. I'm sure it's awsome and that would make it more on par if not better than the GT-R.
If I had to level any critizism on the GT-R it's got to be it's paint work. It's simply no match for the Porsche. It also has a harsher ride. But frineds who still have the GTR said swapping the run flats to regular tires made a hell of a difference.
I'm looking to re-map the ECU in the TT. My mechanic suggested EVOMS , I was looking at Softuning (or something like that).
Any ideas?
Evoms is good.... Softronic is good... Protomotive is good.. I woud lean toward Softronic and Protomotive because you install the file yourself with a flash cable. You retain your stock file in case you want to re flash to stock. Softronic and Promotive also are more flexible with any future mods you may do. Meaning they will write you a new file when you add more stuff.. Get a good flash and add a good free flowing exhaust (many opinions on brands) It will completely transform the car....

Suspension wise the first thing is to lower it with H & R or Eibach springs.. Then add some sway bars.. Makes the car much more neutral and gets rid of that awful understeer the stock turbo has...

Congrats on the new car.. Its a beauty...

Last edited by phillipj; 08-23-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:08 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eric is in the UK...
Our side of the pond!

Welcome Eric. Do some search on APR as well, I believe it is a good tune for the car. Alternatively I can PM you the number of my mechanic in Greece, who frequents a bit more on 6speed, you may have lots to discuss with him too. His main occupation is engine management software...

Do a search on Europipe as well, belgian custom exhaust makers, possibly as good as it gets...

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:17 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
I'm looking to reflash my ECU too, is Softronic the best, how much does it cost, and how do I contact them? Or, who else would you recommend?
Contact Dan at Vivid Racing. Otherwise if you live in CT contact Softronic directly and ask for Scott Slausen. An amazing man with a lot of great knowledge on tuning. He did my flash personally at his shop while I waited. During the process we had a great conversation about Porsches and the pros and cons of tuning. Look him up if you can.

Jay
Old 08-24-2012, 09:43 PM
eric997
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice.
I'm in Hong Kong, so I will be using a dealer based here for the products.
I feel blessed to have found this forum.
Cheers.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by eric997
Thanks for all the advice.
I'm in Hong Kong, so I will be using a dealer based here for the products.
I feel blessed to have found this forum.
Cheers.
1+
Old 08-25-2012, 12:30 AM
08viper1
Instructor

Just to set the record straight.A 997.2 Turbo S w the PDK will win the race and is faster/quicker than a 2013 Nissan GTR.I have done it several times.They start from the dig close,but the Turbo S pulls away.Now in saying that,I do like the GTRs,but all my freinds with them love the Porscche 911 T/Ss.and want one.Little more coin though....
Old 08-25-2012, 04:28 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OOps! Plate looks brit, and the steering is on the wrong side... Oh well.
Enjoy Eric!
Old 04-01-2013, 03:40 AM
W211
Racer

Sorry to bring an old thread up to life, Eric, what tune did you go for at the end? Still on the fence whether to try APR or others. Don't plan to go all out, will be keeping the stock exhaust. Not sure which is a good one with the tip.

4ocious, did you go for Softronic? Happy with it?
Old 04-01-2013, 01:19 PM
ruf01
Advanced

I'll weigh in on this as well...my neighbor owns a tuned gtr. It is fast...very fast when it is working properly. My RUF r turbo on 109 race fuel is comparable fast. We haven't done a head to head run, but we've driven each others cars several times and my best guess is that in a straight line it would be very close. The GTR to me feels like it may just have a tad bit more up top in the powerband, however the tune is very sensitive in the gtr and not always reliable. Launch control in the GTR is the most violent thing i have ever experienced in any car..it positively hurts and feels like an f-18 jet taking off. Fuel makes a big difference in both cars, however for some reason the gtr doesn't always make power and feels flat when fuel is an issue. But then again my porsche on pump fuel can feel like a dog too....lol.

In terms of handling. The GTR goes where you point it, however i have zero feel for how it gets there. Thats the best way i can describe it. The porsche feels alive in my hands. I'm very used to pushing the car hard and feel very confident in the enormous amount of grip it affords. The slight twitchiness of the porsche doesn't bother me, but i can see how it would bother some. The GTR does not feel as refined. The exhaust is loud, the suspension is hard. The porsche feels smoother to me (im sure his choice of tuner parts has a lot to do with this).

Overall if i have a preference i would choose the porsche over the gtr everytime. The GTR is enormously quick, however it doesn't have that special factor for me.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Leo997TT
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gtr to me it's not different than a Nissan Altima with a body kit and turbos....
Old 04-03-2013, 01:20 AM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on your TT. I just did the same thing. Sold my 2010 GTR for a 2007 TT. I strayed from Weissach but have returned home . Now waiting for the the mods to go on. HRE's, custom exhaust, JRZ's and tune. I must say the GTR is an amazing car. With just intakes, exhaust and pro tune by TopSpeed the car made a healthy and conservative 566hp. I ran a legit 11.01 @ 127.3 with poor traction at the strip. On a nice cold day it's a blast to drive, really quick. Now the however. The car can be pushed really hard on a road course but compared to my past GT3 and current 996 Cup it just felt huge and very heavy, especially under braking. Porsche steering and that wear it feeling we're completely absent. I just did not gel with it. I immediately gelled with the turbo. Hard to described the special feel of a P car but it's immediately apparent to me. I admire the huge perfomance capability of the Nissan but its just not a Porsche.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:58 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo997TT
Gtr to me it's not different than a Nissan Altima with a body kit and turbos....
just sold my 10' GTR, and i used to call it my "altima Coupe"

the car is wicked fast but just lacks soul, the new owner added tuning and has it at 700hp now (10 days after i sold it).. kinda jealous because i would love to see what it feels like.

also curious about the tune on 997TT.. am debating a CPO 08' but i feel the CPO part is useless if i tune the car.... i assume IF something went wrong they could discover the tune and thats bad news..

the tune seems very aggressive to add 80hp... maybe too agressive?
Old 04-03-2013, 02:09 AM
Leo997TT
Banned

I'm glad you like the Gtr but i will never spend money in a Nissan Altima with bumpers and turbos.... even if it was faster than the Buggatti STILL A NISSAN!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:11 AM
Leo997TT
Banned

Originally Posted by rijowysock
just sold my 10' GTR, and i used to call it my "altima Coupe"

the car is wicked fast but just lacks soul, the new owner added tuning and has it at 700hp now (10 days after i sold it).. kinda jealous because i would love to see what it feels like.

also curious about the tune on 997TT.. am debating a CPO 08' but i feel the CPO part is useless if i tune the car.... i assume IF something went wrong they could discover the tune and thats bad news..

the tune seems very aggressive to add 80hp... maybe too agressive?
What if you get another computer to safe the tune?

Quick Reply: Got my Turbo sold my GTR