Got my Turbo sold my GTR

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 06:22 AM
eric997
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my Turbo sold my GTR

Hi Guys.
I'm new here. Thought I'd give my perspective on the debate about 997 Turbo(2007) vs Nissan GT-R(2008) as I have own or have owned both.
Just my 2 cents.

Outlook:
I like both. Some hate the GTR. But I kinda of like the edgy looks.
The 997 is much smaller and very easy to park (the GTR has a reversing camera which I like).

Interior:
I love the 997TT's steering wheel, it feels very comfortabable in my hands.
I find the GTR's steering overly thick ( I have small hands).
The 997 has an offset pedal which I dislike, but it's great for left foot braking.
The overal ambience is better in the 997, but I like the touch screen control on the GTR.
My wife likes the 997 more and so does my son and I'm not going to argue with them.

Performace:
Now it's my seat of pants feel here.
The Nissan seems to be faster in acceleration and cornering.
I am your average car enthusiast and I drive like one, so I feel more confident in the GTR.
The 997TT feels more alive. It moves around more. Hard acceleration in corners (I know its rear haevy) unsettles the car and I need to be invloved to correct it with small steering inputs. The 997TT maybe more fun, but I think I'm faster in the Nissan.
The GTR under the same conditions just hammers away.

Verdict:
Hard to say. The 997TT is actually more comfortable to drive. The Tiptronic is smooth and easy the ride quality is also fabulous, but it does not have the fire power of the instant Nissan.
Wife and son prefer the 997TT anyday.
I'm unable to reach any conclusion myself.
If I factor in money, the Nissan would walk away with the prize.
For the GTR's depth of ability which is easily accessable it wins.
I love to go super car hunting in it.
For cruising and going out to a nice dinner with my wife, I'd take the 997TT.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:56 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Stock to stock GTR probably has an edge but if you flash the car then the Porsche would have an edge.

However regardless of the accelration,at the end of the day, I personally would rather drive a Porsche than a Nissan
Old 08-22-2012, 10:24 AM
itsmeek
Track Day

I'm about to join the same club here. I have owned 2 GT-R's and several Turbo Porsches, but no 997 turbos yet. I'm looking to buy a 997.1 manual in the near future. I'm aware that performance-wise the GT-R would have had the edge (especially considering that for under $1500 for used parts it was making 150hp/tq more).

I've always gone back to Porsches despite thinking they are very overpriced. Can't wait!
Old 08-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like both cars as well but the 997TT is my choice for street and track!!!
Old 08-22-2012, 02:37 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's great to see a civil discussion about the GTR and tthe 997TT. Usually they are hate fests! I like sports cars period...If had the money and space I would own one of each marque.. I love M3's, Maserati's, Aston Martins, Ferrari's and Lambo's (I could go on.) I have driven the GTR and it's an amazing car. I agree that it's easier to drive fast than a bone stock TT. The TT is more viceral and to me a lot more exhilerating than the GTR. Especially after a tune and a little suspension work. I have a friend with a modded M6. He drove my TT in anger and got this huge smile on his face and said " I love being able to steer with the throttle!". This thing is awesome!" He's going to get a TT now..

Thanks for the great review. I agree they are both great cars but of course we are partial to the TT! I would love to have both too!
Old 08-22-2012, 05:35 PM
PoloTurbo
Instructor

Did you have problems with the Gtr transmission?
I know it's old news but what about a Gtr with 100k miles+ on the stock tranny? Could it be done without a rebuild?

Nice to see a great and informative comparo.

Congrats on the TT.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:47 PM
itsmeek
Track Day

I had absolutely zero problems with the GT-R's. I gave them both HELL at tracks and as a matter of fact- my first one was totalled at the track by a 997TT who thought he could brake as late. My first had 22k miles on it and the second had 30ish. That being said, and despite how many times it pained me to hear it- a Porsche is a Porsche and the GTR is just a Nissan. Can't believe I said this.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

How long have you had the 997? It may take a while to become one with the car if you know what I mean. I went from a C4S to the TT and it took a lot of seat time for me to get acclimated to the nuances of the turbo. I never drove the GTR although on the track they make an incredible sound. I think over time you will enjoy the Porsche more and more. Good luck and welcome to the club.
Oh, you have to post pictures of both you know…
Old 08-22-2012, 10:18 PM
eric997
Intermediate

I have only got my TT for 1.5 weeks so I'm still trying to get used to it.
I'm sure with time and perhaps more confidence I can go as fast as I did in my GT-R.
I had no issues with the transmission.
I have not driven the PDK version of the TT. I'm sure it's awsome and that would make it more on par if not better than the GT-R.
If I had to level any critizism on the GT-R it's got to be it's paint work. It's simply no match for the Porsche. It also has a harsher ride. But frineds who still have the GTR said swapping the run flats to regular tires made a hell of a difference.
I'm looking to re-map the ECU in the TT. My mechanic suggested EVOMS , I was looking at Softuning (or something like that).
Any ideas?
Old 08-22-2012, 10:37 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Love my TT. If you would have compared the Nissan with the newer Turbos with PDK you would have seen more of difference in performance. My turbo is very quick off the mark especially with the mods that I have done. Besides the performance however I just love driving a car with the history and pedigree of a Porsche 911. Enjoy your car. Who knows maybe someday you may even upgrade to another level.

Look into Softronic. I think this is what you were referring to. I had this done by Scott Slausen of Softronic himself and my car is a 600HP monster. I call it the "Star Trek" move when I have to pass another car or truck on the highway. It is literally a transfer of motion.

Jay
Old 08-22-2012, 11:09 PM
eric997
Intermediate

Here's my car guys both the GTR and TT.

Sorry guys I don't seem to be able to upload my photos.
Don't know whats wrong.
I used "manage attachments" and then browse file then clicked upload, but it failed each time.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:26 PM
eric997
Intermediate

I'm trying again
Old 08-23-2012, 12:19 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by eric997
Here's my car guys both the GTR and TT.

Sorry guys I don't seem to be able to upload my photos.
Don't know whats wrong.
I used "manage attachments" and then browse file then clicked upload, but it failed each time.
You need to reduce the size then they will upload.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:09 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm looking to reflash my ECU too, is Softronic the best, how much does it cost, and how do I contact them? Or, who else would you recommend?
Old 08-23-2012, 05:10 AM
eric997
Intermediate

My car
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Got my Turbo sold my GTR